Vinyl Paint

vhuevos7

Seaman
Has any one tried Vinyl paint on there seats before. Mine are faded really bad but still in good shape so figured i might before buying new or re do them at a shop for muncho $$$$

pcrg28328

Seaman
Re: Vinyl Paint

Don't do it!! I tried that stuff on my dash in a 1995 isuzu trooper and it was nasty. I cleaned and prepped properly but it turned out rough finish. plus it started chipping off after a while while. An upholsterer may be able to dye them for you.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I used SEM Marine vinyl paint on my Cobalt with awesome results. Held up great with no issues at all... SEM is a great product! http://www.semproducts.com/product-catalog/sem-marine/vinyl-coat/ Must use vinyl prep solvent, and follow instructions...

21MAY2011%2520028.jpg

21MAY2011%2520029.jpg

21MAY2011%2520035.jpg

airshot

Rear Admiral

In the past I used the vinyl paint on a textured vinyl floor in a boat and it worked out very well. Did the proper preperation and let it dry thoroughly between coats. Used the boat for 3 yrs before I sold it and it still looked great. Have never tried seats, but I would think the flooring would get more abrasion than seats.

Airshot

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never have personally but i do know a few guys that did with good results,prep is the key !!!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I'm an upholsterer and I can tell you that SEM is a great product, as long as you follow the prep instructions. It should last the life of the vinyl (treated properly) if done correctly.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have the SEM stuff ready to go on a few areas of the seating, etc.

Bear_Cuda's project turned out really nice. I have heard tale of folks having poor luck with it . . . my guess would be poor prep work as the cause.

My plan is to clean the area with acetone, then use the SEM prep solution before applying the 'paint'.

TilliamWe

Banned

My dad has used the inexpensive, rattle can stuff twice. The first time it held up great, and looked decent, but didn't have much gloss. He just painted the interior of my sister's 90 Chaparral, and from the photos it looks good, but again, not real shiny.

Nothing like that SEM stuff in cuda's pictures.

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bear in mind that vinyl and most modern leather surfaces are impermiable, so dye will just sit on the surface like paint.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Bear in mind that vinyl and most modern leather surfaces are impermiable, so dye will just sit on the surface like paint.

True... This is why prep is so important. The surface needs to be scuffed up for the paint or dye to properly adhere...

vhuevos7

Seaman

Thanks Guys for all the advice. I am going to take my time and do the Prep right. I have all the time in the world since NM is in a Drought:sad: