Just Bought Ryobi 2,200 Generator RYI2200

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Just Bought Ryobi 2,200 Generator RYI2200

yup id look at yammy before Honda myself ,their great,quite,frugel with gas and priced competitively.dont know if this is true or not but the local dealer that just opened up said the Honda has a life cycle of 3500hrs vs 5000 for the yammy.anybody I know that has a yammy loves them.

My friend has the yammy and I have the Hondas. Side by Side very very similar. We both like them a lot, and we haven't had any problems with the units. I've got 2 of the honda's and do the bridging thing which works quite well. I've run my camper with AC on the two of them for 7 hours without running out of gas. I'm not sure how they didn't run out as I couldn't see any fuel at all when I topped them back off. I can't speak for the runtime hours, never saw any figures.

I really like my honda. I use it all the time around the house. I find it less work to fire up the generator than to unroll and re-roll multiple extension cords when I have electrical needs farther away from the house. One of them runs the leaf blower, big shop vac, saws or any other power tools I've ever hooked to it with ease.

Both are quality equipment from what I've seen. The inverter aspect of it allows me to run sensitive electronics (I'm a computer programmer and work from home, I have used them as backup power before). I did a test once with my flatscreen TV between the honda and a cheep contractor generator and you could see the quality difference in the power generated right on the TV screen.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the Ryobi is an inverter duty geny that is made in China. Paint it orange and you can call it an Ariens. There are no serviceable parts for it, as they are considered by the service network to be disposable. Especially if there are inverter or carb issues. Most of the ones we tested at work had the fuel shut-off fail.

I have limited experience with the Honda other than knocking one over the side rail of a friends sail boat on a new years eve cruise......:facepalm:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I use and have used my EU2000i for 6+ years w/o issue. It will not run my RV A/C at the elevations I use it (4,000-11,000'asl). I replaced the capacitor on my RV A/C unit with a one that takes longer to charge, but requires less to start. I've paralleled 2 EU2000i's together and the A/C worked fine. We usually camp at state parks with power hook-up so the generator is not needed...but for off-the-grid camping, we use it to keep everyone's batteries charged, watch DVD's/TV, microwaves and such and have had no problem keeping up?

When hunting the little sucker runs almost 24/7...at idle you can count on the .9 gallons of gas lasting 8-10 hours? I've never run it straight full load so I cannot say the worst case scenario?

When the inverter goes out...it'll be cheaper to replace than to have repaired...if it blew-up today, I'd buy another completely content with its performance and life! Caveat, I'd more than likely buy an EU3000i...even though 2 EU2000i's would be lighter?

BTW, I bought mine brand-new, before all the rage...I paid $850 out the door from a local party rental place...I could sell it for about $700 locally?! They are in demand, but run $950 and up!

YWMV?

~Brett

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have this one
Yamaha EF3000iSEB Generator 3500 watt | Wise Sales
This place had good prices on both Honda and Yamaha when I bought mine.

Has electric start and you can purchase a remote start which is often very useful but it may be bigger than you want.

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

Thanks Bruce
That is a bit more than I want to spend on one and I want the smallest one I can find that will run the AC. Im going to order a Honda when I get back from thanksgiving travel. I have seen them on many boats.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bruce
That is a bit more than I want to spend on one and I want the smallest one I can find that will run the AC. Im going to order a Honda when I get back from thanksgiving travel. I have seen them on many boats.
The Hondas are very good. My parents have the 1000 and my friend has the 3000. You can be talking next to one while it is going full blast..

http://www.wisesales.com/eu2000ia-honda-generator.html
http://www.wisesales.com/ef2000is-yamaha-generator.html

Last edited:

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Using one of these will usually reduce the starting current of your AC so that a 2000w generator will run it.

SmartStart Reduces Startup Surge - Dometic

The SmartStart is a couple of hundred $ but this is a lot cheaper than another gen. Also, some AC units will run fine if the gen is running at full power (not ECO mode). Some people put the gen in full power, start the AC, and then out the gen in ECO mode. This will usually run the AC fine until the next time the AC compressor cycles on. Also, putting the AC unit fan on first, then going to AC mode can reduce the start up current sufficiently so that some gens can handle it.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have limited experience with the Honda other than knocking one over the side rail of a friends sail boat on a new years eve cruise......:facepalm:

Scott...you CANNOT leave us hanging like that! :eek: Please tell us the whole story. Did you swim for the genny? Lose a friend? Get banned from further cruises? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Scott...you CANNOT leave us hanging like that! :eek: Please tell us the whole story. Did you swim for the genny? Lose a friend? Get banned from further cruises? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

I think it was about 2am Jan 1st- Alcohol was involved. luckily the security lock cable thru the handle to the rear davit kept it from hitting the drink, however it bounced off the swim platform and damaged the plastic housing. wrecked the chords connected, lost the sound cover, lost my hat and my drink when I fell into the genny and railing.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Using one of these will usually reduce the starting current of your AC so that a 2000w generator will run it.

SmartStart Reduces Startup Surge - Dometic

The SmartStart is a couple of hundred $ but this is a lot cheaper than another gen. Also, some AC units will run fine if the gen is running at full power (not ECO mode). Some people put the gen in full power, start the AC, and then out the gen in ECO mode. This will usually run the AC fine until the next time the AC compressor cycles on. Also, putting the AC unit fan on first, then going to AC mode can reduce the start up current sufficiently so that some gens can handle it.

That's more or less what I attempted with the higher capacitor (mind you it's been 5 years and I cannot remember if the replaced capacitor was higher or lower?) It takes longer to charge but requires less voltage/wattage to start up A/C compressor. It was a mod I found on another RVing forum...worked great, but the 2,000W at this elevation is not enough? The loss of HP @ 5%/1,000' is tough to overcome! I know guys at sea-level who have modded their A/C units are running them off the EU2000i? Yes, they are very quiet! We typically sleep with in on all night when hunting as no one wants to get up and turn it off (it's usually below freezing outside) so in the morning, we can just turn on the lights in the tent, plug in coffee maker and we're all fat and happy!

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a Honda EU2000i and it powers up our 2000BTU MarineAir A/C on our Chaparral just fine. You cannot use any other AC accessories/appliances while the A/C is running. Been doing this for about 5 years.

Real simple to figure out if your particular system will work with your generator watts.

AC Volts X Amps = Watts

My unit kick on watts runs 1725.

Last edited:

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it was about 2am Jan 1st- Alcohol was involved. luckily the security lock cable thru the handle to the rear davit kept it from hitting the drink, however it bounced off the swim platform and damaged the plastic housing. wrecked the chords connected, lost the sound cover, lost my hat and my drink when I fell into the genny and railing.

Classic...I love drunk stories where no one gets injured! :D Also glad the genny and your friendship with the owner survived the mishap. :)