Proper etiquette for passing stationary fishermen along a navigation channel

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Proper etiquette for passing stationary fishermen along a navigation channel

I have a boat to fish so that is all I do, this is like fishing directly in front of the launch, you don't get to whine when a boat goes by you, if they are in the channel you have no choice if they don't understand that they shouldn't be on the water..

One of my biggest peeves with other boaters is, they will be coming along on plane and right before they get to me they cut the throttle and go by with the bow 3' in the air and throwing a 4' wake, if they had just stayed on plane I would have had to deal with a 6'' wake now I have this sunami coming at me and they think they did me a favor, stay on plane.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Proper etiquette for passing stationary fishermen along a navigation channel

There is also more to this discussion than just circumstances. My 34' sedan boat takes a bit longer to slow to no wake speed and get back up on a nice comfortable plane than an 18' ski/bow rider. In return, it will also throw a more substantial wake. It makes the call to slow harder to make. It takes more to slow and then get back to speed again, but the wake (if chosen not to slow) may cause more harm.

I have only had it happen a few times (on wider stretches being hundreds of feet away I don't see a need to slow), but the worst was the following.

Cruising along at 18 knots, running well, and I come up on a boat in tow. The problem, he was getting towed in the same direction I was going, and they had to be loving 10 knots or so. The only way to pass them was to keep on plane and really give them a wake, or tuck in behind and follow them for quite a while (no launch of marina near by). They were being towed down the channel as well, and even though I could pass 100' or more away, I felt like I inconvenienced them by going by with a wake.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are we talking about a marked navigation channel, or just a narrow part of the lake?

What do the state boating regs say?

In some states, all boats must pass at no wake speed if within 100'. I've seen some regs that state 200'.

Also, idle only within 100' of shoreline.

Your state regs say ........ ?

Also there are laws that specify not to harass hunters and fishermen, to keep the peta types away.

When I'm fishing, best keep a cast length away, because I may not see you speeding by and accidentally put my lure in your boat.

This is a well marked navigation channel and is the only safe route during winter pool. The state regs do not mention specifics, they only describe Excessive speed in crowded areas, dangerous areas or during restricted visibility as reckless operation

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

My solution to the problem.

Many of the local lakes I fish are less then 600 acres and land locked. Doesn't take a lot of time for a larger faster boat to mkae a full loop of the lake. there are also 2 ordinances in place on most of these. 1. NO WAKE between 0 pm and 0 am, usually sunset and then 9 or 10 am. 2. All skiers must be pulled in a counter-clockwise retation around the lake.

So most locals know the ski pattern and stay out of that area. Myself ususally by 11 am I am off the water especially on the weekends! The saddening part for me when when I see other fishing boats not following the rules. I then have to ask myself how do we get others to respect our time when some of us don't follow the rules ourselves? I mean com'mon for the non locals there are huge signs posted at all the ramps with the times. When I go to a new lake I always read the local ordinance post. It would be for me like fishing a new lake w/o a fishing regulation book.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To the OP; what do the fishermen do when a tow comes through? Am assuming they get out of the way...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

To the OP; what do the fishermen do when a tow comes through? Am assuming they get out of the way...

At least around here in the spring it would be a much more common occurance seeing 23-30 boats stacked up down the river fishing than one would see a boat in tow. If the bite is really on those numbers can easily double within a 1/2 mile stretch of river.

Do you really believe all those boats are going to move off their "spots" if they see a tow coming?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

A "tow" is a tugboat and barges

BrianCinAz

Cadet

For pleasure boats, if you're going to pass at planing speed then 1) your wake must not swamp their boat (i.e. you're in a 30' cruiser and they're in a jon boat), and 2) you must be able to pass more than 75' away. If you can't meet both these criteria then you have no choice but to pass them at no wake speed, even if it isn't a no wake zone.

BUT, intentionally obstruction a navigational channel, for fishing or what ever reason, is a no-no too. But 2 wrongs don't make a right.

How is that saying, "use at own risk"?

The Coast Guard rules are that you are responsible for your wake.Emilsr is right, if within 75 feet, you need to slow to "No Wake Speed" Most of you guys need to take a boating safety course and learn the rules and procedures. "Use at own risk" attitudes are what cause divisions in the boating community and eventually lead to more regulations and eventual closures of boating areas.

How about the better saying "Do until to others as you would like them to do unto you, (or your mother)."

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This particular creek off the river does not have tow traffic. The section we are discussing is 100 yards at the widest. Once out on the Tennessee river, yes they (and I) move out of the way upon sight.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

This particular creek off the river does not have tow traffic. The section we are discussing is 100 yards at the widest. Once out on the Tennessee river, yes they (and I) move out of the way upon sight.

Then there wouldn't BE a "navigation channel"...... That makes a difference. A creek full of fishermen is a different situation from a commercial shipping channel.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Given that there is so much difference in opinion it appears that I have the opportunity to make my own regulation that clears this matter up once and for all.

Boating Regulation 754.1 Chapter 7 Section A: Any boater that encounters a fisherman in a well marked navigation channel must pass them on plane outside of a 75 ft radius. While passing the fisherman, the driver or preferably the passenger of the passing vessel must promptly display their buttocks to the fisherman to express the inconvience of them fishing in a navigation channel. If the pass must be made within a 75 ft radius the driver of the passing vessel must slow to idle speed. Upon passing the fishing vessel at idle, the passing vessel must toss a cold beer to the fisherman to express remorse for screwing up the bite. The beer must be no more than 41 degrees and no less than 36 degrees. Once the passing vessel is safely clear of the fisherman, the driver must accelerate quickly while he/she or the passenger promptly displays their buttocks to the fisherman to express the inconvience of their fishing location and the loss of a cold beer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ya know, if ya get em with the keel and screws the wake never hits em...... just sayin.... lol

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ah, I see (said the blind man). Didn't realize this was off the main part of the lake.

How about the better saying "Do until to others as you would like them to do unto you, (or your mother)."
This is the best advice.

I fish quite a bit on local lakes, with channels used for both navigation and fishing. I also pull tubes and water ski. I absolutely subscribe to the "do unto others" mantra. If I'm in too much of a hurry to be nice to my fellow boaters/fishermen, then I don't feel I should be at control of my vessel. I would always, ALWAYS prefer for boats to idle by me when I'm stopped, so I extend that courteousy to everyone else.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Round these parts if yer fishing in the middle of the intercoastal ya a might get 'jostled' around a bit. 75 feet? Pfft! No offense ...

NYBo

Admiral

Half of the coast guard auxillary guys around here are like that; the other half are real gentlemen.
I respectfully suggest that you report the ones breaking the law. We don't need the bad apples giving the rest of us a bad name.

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live on the CA Delta, and regularly ride in sloughs much more narrow than 75 feet, with loads of fisherman populating the navigation channels and dead-end passages.

Our practice is always to give as wide a berth as possible, and slow to a gentle speed. The fisherman seem to appreciate it, and I know I'd rather be a considerate boater than not...

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

to others who may be reading this looking for answers, please do not follow ricohman's advice. I tried it this morning and the results were not as he described. No matter how many 180's i performed or high speed passes the fishermen became more and more furious upon each pass. Even our attempts to engage them in water gun fight were unsuccessful.

hahahaha!!! Good one!