Install Hour Meter

agallant80

Commander
Anyone know how to install an hour meter? I was thinking of hooking it up to the tach since that runs when the motor does but I don't know if I will get the 12V from it that I need to run it.

Thoughts?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Install Hour Meter

Doubt the tach sender will run it, its AC. I just put mine on the ignition switch. It does run when the key is on but 99.9% of the time when the key is on the motor is running. I figure thats close enough for maintenance times.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

our boat is wired so that the only time you need to turn on the ignition key is when you want to run the motor .... consequently, the hour meter is wired down stream from the key

Jim

agallant80

Commander

Not a bad idea. I have a DC breaker that runs everything on the boat. The key is only used for the motor. That would be a simple idea to wire it off the ignition. With that said I was stupid and bought a digital meter that only displays when the power is running to it so i guess that would save me from having to start the motor to see how many hours are on the boat. I like it, nice and simple. Thanks for the idea of connecting it to the iginition.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just connect the + terminal on the hour meter to the purple wire on the ignition switch.

Bondo

Staff member

Anyone know how to install an hour meter? I was thinking of hooking it up to the tach since that runs when the motor does but I don't know if I will get the 12V from it that I need to run it.

Thoughts?

Ayuh,.... As noted, tyin' it to the ignition is the most common way of doin' it....

Btw,... The 'puter on yer motor records the hours it's run...

agallant80

Commander

Ayuh,.... As noted, tyin' it to the ignition is the most common way of doin' it....

Btw,... The 'puter on yer motor records the hours it's run...

The issue with that is I don't want to spend $400 on a code scanner for the computer. I just want the hour meter for maintenance etc.

agallant80

Commander

I guess what I would really like to do is install a smartcraft gauge. It will give me codes and hours from the computer. Only issue with that is I am still trying to figure out how to make that happen. I know my motor is smartcraft compatible I just don't know what harnesses I need for it and what not.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I used a cheap hour meter that has a 5 year battery. The exciter wire wraps around one of the plug wires and thats it. I mounted it to the motor.
Good enough to keep track of maintenance and it only cost $20. I write down the hours also. 17 so far!

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Smartcraft would be a great way to go if you can. Surprised a 2013 boat did not have one built in to one of the gauges. Interesting....

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercury is proud of those gauges but I think they're worth it. Guarantee the motor is pre-wired and they probably ran a cable up to the controls (mine did). Connecting was 'plug and play' from there and the MercMonitor displays an amazing amount of data which can be sent over the NMEA 2000 network and viewed on your chart plotter.... at least that works on my HDS 7. Besides hours, I get oil pressure, water temp and most everything else you need to monitor. (menu driven display) The GPH and total fuel used is very handy and accurate to about 1/4 gallon after 30 burned. So accurate, I installed the new gauge where the old fuel gauge was located and never looked back.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

WOW I wonder if my 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard has that capability? Probably not. I'll just have to do the usual eyeball look-see and general maintenance every year...Oh well...maybe next outboard. Those things sound nice UNTIL they don't work anymore. We have moved from simplicity into complication beyond our wildest dreams these days. So many new features to give so much information but at what cost? We have increased our abilities to know so much when in reality the simpler things are the better and longer they last. Given the fact that every part in any product has a life expectancy and failure rate, the more fancy capabilities only increases the probability of failure as well. It is a simple analogy. And knowing how many hours leads to what; changing your water impeller at the same intervals you always have before actual you knew the hours, or even changing your plugs out at the same time. Maybe replacing your fuel lines because you figured they needed to be based on the hours on the meter or data recovered via the computer onboard. Most folks wouldn’t know anything about their oil pressure, water pressure, timing curve or could tell you if any of those things were good or bad for the most part. I guess whatever floats your boat...literally! Not complaining but just making a general observation...

UncleWillie

Captain

If you are fuel injected,
The fuel pump runs for 2 seconds when the ignition is turned on and then only when the engine is actually running.
You can hear a buzz for a few seconds from the fuel pump running just as the ignition is turned on as it pressurizes the system before the start.
The fuel pump relay is usually labeled and just under the intake flame arrestor.
The meter will register only actual engine hours even if you leave the switch on accidentally.

agallant80

Commander

Mercury is proud of those gauges but I think they're worth it. Guarantee the motor is pre-wired and they probably ran a cable up to the controls (mine did). Connecting was 'plug and play' from there and the MercMonitor displays an amazing amount of data which can be sent over the NMEA 2000 network and viewed on your chart plotter.... at least that works on my HDS 7. Besides hours, I get oil pressure, water temp and most everything else you need to monitor. (menu driven display) The GPH and total fuel used is very handy and accurate to about 1/4 gallon after 30 burned. So accurate, I installed the new gauge where the old fuel gauge was located and never looked back.

I do have a black and purple harness behind my dash that are plugged in to nothing. I need to take some photos of them and post them here to see if anyone knows what they are. If I am pre-wired for it I will just buy the smartcraft gauge.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not a bad idea. I have a DC breaker that runs everything on the boat. The key is only used for the motor. That would be a simple idea to wire it off the ignition. With that said I was stupid and bought a digital meter that only displays when the power is running to it so i guess that would save me from having to start the motor to see how many hours are on the boat. I like it, nice and simple. Thanks for the idea of connecting it to the iginition.
You would not have to actually START the engine to see the hours. Just turn the key to the RUN position.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Her's a tip! Why not just follow the directions that come with the hour meter. However, most hour meters are simple clock mechanisms that run when they have +12 volts applied. That means you can connect it to the "I" (ignition) and Ground terminal on any of the gauges. If it has an internal light it will either be on whenever the meter is running, or if it has a separate light terminal, connect that to the "L" terminal on any other gauge as well. If you really want it to be a true hour meter that shows only true engine hours, wire it through the oil pressure switch. Obviously no oil pressure switch on a two stroke.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do have a black and purple harness behind my dash that are plugged in to nothing. I need to take some photos of them and post them here to see if anyone knows what they are. If I am pre-wired for it I will just buy the smartcraft gauge.
I can tell you in about 2 seconds if that's the meorcmoynitor cable from a photo. PM me if you'd like all the install details. I can walk you through the install and NMEA connections.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I just want the hour meter for maintenance etc.
The calender is the most reliable hour meter you can buy. Change the oil every spring and the lower unit fluids every fall and you've meet the factory maintenance schedule