Install Hour Meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Hour Meter

Anyone know how to install an hour meter? I was thinking of hooking it up to the tach since that runs when the motor does but I don't know if I will get the 12V from it that I need to run it.

Thoughts?
    2013 Bayliner 255CR
    5.0MPI S/N:2A044802
    http://seawenchnc.blogspot.com

Re: Install Hour Meter

Doubt the tach sender will run it, its AC. I just put mine on the ignition switch. It does run when the key is on but 99.9% of the time when the key is on the motor is running. I figure thats close enough for maintenance times.

Comment

our boat is wired so that the only time you need to turn on the ignition key is when you want to run the motor .... consequently, the hour meter is wired down stream from the key

Jim

Comment

Not a bad idea. I have a DC breaker that runs everything on the boat. The key is only used for the motor. That would be a simple idea to wire it off the ignition. With that said I was stupid and bought a digital meter that only displays when the power is running to it so i guess that would save me from having to start the motor to see how many hours are on the boat. I like it, nice and simple. Thanks for the idea of connecting it to the iginition.
        2013 Bayliner 255CR

Comment

Just connect the + terminal on the hour meter to the purple wire on the ignition switch.
          If you can read this thank a teacher.If you can read it in english THANK A VETERAN

Comment

Originally posted by agallant80 View Post
            Anyone know how to install an hour meter? I was thinking of hooking it up to the tach since that runs when the motor does but I don't know if I will get the 12V from it that I need to run it.

Thoughts?
            Ayuh,.... As noted, tyin' it to the ignition is the most common way of doin' it....

Btw,... The 'puter on yer motor records the hours it's run...

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
              Interesting, how do I get that info? (Merc EFI, throttle body)

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
                Ayuh,.... As noted, tyin' it to the ignition is the most common way of doin' it....

The issue with that is I don't want to spend $400 on a code scanner for the computer. I just want the hour meter for maintenance etc.
                2013 Bayliner 255CR

Comment

I guess what I would really like to do is install a smartcraft gauge. It will give me codes and hours from the computer. Only issue with that is I am still trying to figure out how to make that happen. I know my motor is smartcraft compatible I just don't know what harnesses I need for it and what not.
                  2013 Bayliner 255CR

Comment

I used a cheap hour meter that has a 5 year battery. The exciter wire wraps around one of the plug wires and thats it. I mounted it to the motor.
                    Good enough to keep track of maintenance and it only cost $20. I write down the hours also. 17 so far!

Comment

Smartcraft would be a great way to go if you can. Surprised a 2013 boat did not have one built in to one of the gauges. Interesting....

Comment

Mercury is proud of those gauges but I think they're worth it. Guarantee the motor is pre-wired and they probably ran a cable up to the controls (mine did). Connecting was 'plug and play' from there and the MercMonitor displays an amazing amount of data which can be sent over the NMEA 2000 network and viewed on your chart plotter.... at least that works on my HDS 7. Besides hours, I get oil pressure, water temp and most everything else you need to monitor. (menu driven display) The GPH and total fuel used is very handy and accurate to about 1/4 gallon after 30 burned. So accurate, I installed the new gauge where the old fuel gauge was located and never looked back.

Comment

WOW I wonder if my 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard has that capability? Probably not. I'll just have to do the usual eyeball look-see and general maintenance every year...Oh well...maybe next outboard. Those things sound nice UNTIL they don't work anymore. We have moved from simplicity into complication beyond our wildest dreams these days. So many new features to give so much information but at what cost? We have increased our abilities to know so much when in reality the simpler things are the better and longer they last. Given the fact that every part in any product has a life expectancy and failure rate, the more fancy capabilities only increases the probability of failure as well. It is a simple analogy. And knowing how many hours leads to what; changing your water impeller at the same intervals you always have before actual you knew the hours, or even changing your plugs out at the same time. Maybe replacing your fuel lines because you figured they needed to be based on the hours on the meter or data recovered via the computer onboard. Most folks wouldn’t know anything about their oil pressure, water pressure, timing curve or could tell you if any of those things were good or bad for the most part. I guess whatever floats your boat...literally! Not complaining but just making a general observation...
                          Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
                          Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
                          '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
                          Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

Comment

If you are fuel injected,
                            The fuel pump runs for 2 seconds when the ignition is turned on and then only when the engine is actually running.
                            You can hear a buzz for a few seconds from the fuel pump running just as the ignition is turned on as it pressurizes the system before the start.
                            The fuel pump relay is usually labeled and just under the intake flame arrestor.
                            The meter will register only actual engine hours even if you leave the switch on accidentally.
                            Bill, Lorain Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawk180 View Post
                              Mercury is proud of those gauges but I think they're worth it. Guarantee the motor is pre-wired and they probably ran a cable up to the controls (mine did). Connecting was 'plug and play' from there and the MercMonitor displays an amazing amount of data which can be sent over the NMEA 2000 network and viewed on your chart plotter.... at least that works on my HDS 7. Besides hours, I get oil pressure, water temp and most everything else you need to monitor. (menu driven display) The GPH and total fuel used is very handy and accurate to about 1/4 gallon after 30 burned. So accurate, I installed the new gauge where the old fuel gauge was located and never looked back.
                              I do have a black and purple harness behind my dash that are plugged in to nothing. I need to take some photos of them and post them here to see if anyone knows what they are. If I am pre-wired for it I will just buy the smartcraft gauge.
                              2013 Bayliner 255CR

Comment

Working...
                              X