Marine wax/polish vs Turtle Wax

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am ready to wax the sparkle finish on my fiberglass bass boat and wonder if I really have to buy marine wax or can I use what I have for my car, to wit: Turtle Wax

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Re: Marine wax/polish vs Turtle Wax

Others have and will disagree but consumer reports loves turtle wax. It's all I use on my cars and my aluminum boat. Mine shines at least as well as everybody else's.

chriscraft254

Commander

You can use almost any wax, but fiberglass should shine before the wax is applied. The wax is nothing more than a protectant. Alot of your marine waxes have more spf protection in them. cars have a clear coat, its a different animal totally.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Turtle Wax
Hard Shell Car Wax

Promises: Hard shell lasting up to 12 months
We don’t ordinarily fear using auto wax on boats, but a neutral color or no dye in the wax would be a smarter choice for Turtle Wax, even if that’s inconsistent with its marketing mechanisms, i.e. green like a turtle.
Results: Its high luster saved it from the dismally low score it should have gotten. It tinted the white gelcoat green, completely negating the cost/shine benefit factor by doing so.

BoatingLAB Tests: Waxes | Boating Magazine

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info dingbat, great reference and chriscraft254: I checked out your restoration. Wow, great job.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I should have specified that their hard Carnuba wax was the good stuff, it has no green tint or other colors added. That liquid crap is over priced and designed for people to over apply it.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Dont use Wax on Gelcoat .. use a sealer. Gel is too porous for wax.

AwlCare by Awlgrip makes some good stuff. There is a Miqures product that works good .. something like x2 or something.

Just IMHO .. ( and experience ).

YD.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My Dad would use nothing but Simonize. A little old fashioned, good in its day, but far surpassed today by better chemistry.

I used Turtle for years on everything. Again, good in its day but old fashioned now.

Today, IMHO, nothing is better than even the cheapest product put out by Mcguires.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Meguiars has some really good products. The way I judge Meguiars products is if they sell it at Pep Boys, it's not their best products. They hide their best products and locally sell them at auto paint stores or online to pro detailers. I would buff out the gel coat first with a mild polish to get the surface shiny and then put a good coat of wax on it.

I use old school hard paste waxes that don't have any special stuff in them and that seems to provide the longest lasting results for me. I put on such a thin coat, that taking of the haze is very quick. As someone noted before, people buy liquid wax thinking it's easier and they put too much on using the old theory that more is better, but with wax, less is more. Then they spend a lot more time getting the thick haze off. No time saved.

chriscraft254

Commander

Thanks for the info dingbat, great reference and chriscraft254: I checked out your restoration. Wow, great job.

Thanks Man, if were voting for our favorites, I would look into the Triple XXX woody's paste wax, it has served me well. And the boating test lab people had the directions totally wrong also on the woodys wax in the bottle, it isn't left on, it is coated for up to 24 hours on metal, then wiped clean. Its great on the non skid surfaces, but again the direction have to be followed closely, but it works fantastic on non skid surfaces. I would not recommend the stuff in the bottle for smooth gelcoat, just the Tripple XXX.

Woody's products are expensive, but there Triple XXX lasts for what seems like forever and goes a long way as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

And the boating test lab people had the directions totally wrong also on the woodys wax in the bottle, it isn't left on, it is coated for up to 24 hours on metal, then wiped clean. Its great on the non skid surfaces, but again the direction have to be followed closely, but it works fantastic on non skid surfaces.
Woody wax is good stuff but way over priced. Fluid fillm is the same stuff, half the price ;)

FWIW: I'm a Colinite #885 Paste wax type of guy

chriscraft254

Commander

Woody wax is good stuff but way over priced. Fluid fillm is the same stuff, half the price ;)

FWIW: I'm a Colinite #885 Paste wax type of guy

Fluid film? Never heard of it, will have to investigate, though I usually stick to something if it works well. The woodys is pricey, but like I said, it last along time. Never have used collinite but heard many times it is very good. :)

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M
products made for Gelcoat
heavy compound, light compound, 2 different polishes, then the wax

Harry

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a car detailer, their is a difference, Boats are much harder surface and need to be worked in. I have been using McGuires boat stuff lately (in the blue bottle). and following it up with frequent applications of 303 on the topside after I wash it down. The wax on the hull sides heal up all season and beaded water all the time. Car stuff on boats looks OK but doesnt last.
I havent become good at Sealent on boats yet, but might try it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Car stuff on boats looks OK but doesnt last.

That hasn't been my experience. No worse service than a winter climate with salt and sand on the roads. If it lasts on my car it usually lasts longer on my boat.

I used to be happy with 6 months on a car. Maybe only 3 months in the winter. But Mcguires lasts me a whole year on the car.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again everyone. There are a lot of choices that work well for everyone. Sounds like it helps to find what works for the individual and stick with it. I live in Texas so the blazing summer sun in a factor. I Boat Forum has never let me down as I plug along with various boats and engines.

Thalasso

Commander

Dont use Wax on Gelcoat .. use a sealer. Gel is too porous for wax.

AwlCare by Awlgrip makes some good stuff. There is a Miqures product that works good .. something like x2 or something.

Just IMHO .. ( and experience ).

YD.

That's the purpose of polish before wax isn't it? Wax is just a protectant. Wax alone will fill pores in gel coat and collect dirt
In hot climates, wax won't last very long. I use Collinite insulator (liquid) wax after polishing with Duragloss. Easy on and off with no white residue.After washing i use McGuires spray wax.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

That's the purpose of polish before wax isn't it? Wax is just a protectant. Wax alone will fill pores in gel coat and collect dirt
In hot climates, wax won't last very long. I use Collinite insulator (liquid) wax after polishing with Duragloss. Easy on and off with no white residue.After washing i use McGuires spray wax.

I dont think so .. not with any finish.

Wax is a scam IMHO.

Wax = Dont do it right and have it come out the same (finished look).

Once you put Wax on .. you have to protect the wax ..or remove the wax because its just a sacrificial coating to begin with.

Your now left with Forever protecting the wax against itself. ..

Why ?

You have a coating on there that UV protected .. ( Especially paint and clears ) .. keep your boat clean and buffed.

If you feel the need to Wax a gel finish .. then your not buffing it right.

If you are going to wax ..then you have to maintain the WAX .. not the coating ..the WAX. Just Maintain the Coating.

YD.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, now I am really confused. Colinite is really expensive. To wax or not to wax. That is the question. It is nobler to wash and clean and buff the surface of gel coat or to wax and buff?

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Personally I like using a sealant. Buffing out the gel oat and then adding a sealant helps keep all those water spots from forming. I am also one of those people that wipe the boat down with a towel right after it comes out of the water to help reduce the spotting one the gel coat.