Marine wax/polish vs Turtle Wax

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Marine wax/polish vs Turtle Wax

Well, now I am really confused. Colinite is really expensive. To wax or not to wax. That is the question. It is nobler to wash and clean and buff the surface of gel coat or to wax and buff?
Whats nice about it is dust and bird S---t hardly sticks to it.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 $15.99

I wax it good after polish and spray wax after washing and next season just wash with Dawn and re wax for the season. Once a year does it.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You wax the boat to protect it, for example insects, bird poo, UV rays. It is sacraficial, the reason you don't wax that can last years as some advertise. I like my wax to fade away in a few months, that way when I re-apply I'm doing so over bare paint/gelcoat.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Or just slather wif VASOLINE and wipe off!
Bought a new car that they polished with Lemon pleadge when I picked it up!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Well, now I am really confused. Colinite is really expensive. To wax or not to wax. That is the question. It is nobler to wash and clean and buff the surface of gel coat or to wax and buff?

Well why dont you use your boat as a test. Use the Colinite on the leward side of the boat and not on the sunny side of the boat.

I can testify that Properly polished gel coat will last longer and cost you less money Vs. waxing.

We are talking Gelcoat .. not Paint or Base Coat Clear coat paints .. GelCoat is more porous than Paint systems.

Its all plastic coatings mate. You need to understand the 'performance' issue with buffing properly. Your actually melting the plastic and smearing it around filling/removing scratches and pinholes ( thus the Rubbing Compound ).

Again .. wax should be replaced with a Sealer IF you deem needed to Add an extra Coat of Something over your gelcoat.

YD.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well

The industries have used the word POLISH 2 different ways

There are polishes that have abrasives in them that are used to get the swirls out after compounding

And there are polishes that are Polish and wax together (Pro polish)

The companies that sell polishes that have abrasives in them suggest that you wax after polish

The companies that sell polishes that polish and wax together do not require waxing after

Bottom line is that it depends on what product you are using

Harry

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK Captain Zac that helps. I used a cleaner and then another product that said it was a cleaner wax. That really didn't bring out a shine so I used a Turtle Wax paste that seems to work. Of course that was two days ago so what it will look like next month is anyone's guess at this juncture. When this fades I am thinking of getting Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845.

In the old days I was not too concerned about the shine on my bass boat. But I got married and showed my bride how to fish. She wanted a pretty fishing pole, a pretty anchor and of course a pretty boat. So there you have it. There are rumors that she catches more and bigger fish than I do all on a number 4 hook and a worm. I flatly refuse to dignify these snide remarks and denounce the snickers from my male fishing aquatints.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

just remember

do not wax or polish over dirt

buff with some good polish that have abrasives then wash with water only then wax
(I do not know how bad you oxidation is if it is white and chaulky then you might have to start with compound)

Now I know that that will last

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've used most everything out there at one time or another. If I haven't used it I know someone who has.....and like motor oil (and farts), everyone loves their own brand. Currently using Meguiar's, mainly since I can get it mail order through West Moron.....BUT.....

In all honesty, and just my opinion of course, but it matters much more THAT you use than WHAT you use. If you keep your boat clean and waxed.....Turtle wax, Mr. Zog's Sex Wax....whatever you use, the gelcoat or paint will last much longer. We get way too hung up on whatever the new "miracle wax" is, and really the only miracle I need to be concerned with is getting my lazy butt off the couch to go care for the boat. :lol: