Beam Width? How tight can I squeeze?

Forest Gump

Cadet
I am shopping for a Deck / Pontoon / Bowrider Boat. I currently do not own any boat. I am not really sure which one I want to settle on, but I do have a restriction on Beam Width.

I will be using a private boat slip with a maximum opening, and maximum beam-to-beam width of 104", which is 8'8". A lot of the deck boats that I am looking at are 8'6". This slip is on a fairly calm body of water, with not a lot of wake activity.

I have had some salesmen tell me I can squeeze a 102" boat in, as long as I am careful. However, I am thinking I should limit myself to an absolute maximum of 8' (96") in beam width. This 8' beam width eliminates a lot of the boats I am looking at. By the way, I have a length in the slip of 25' 6".

Thanks for your input.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Beam Width? How tight can I squeeze?

I think you will be fine with 8' 6". Most boats have rub rails that let you bump against stuff without damaging the boat. You should closely inspect the slip to ensure that the only thing touching will be the rub rails though.

The tight slip will also prevent the boat from picking up much momentum if it bounces around in the slip too, not bad thing.

chriscraft254

Commander

Is the slip on tidal water? Is it a floating dock? Is it in a no wake zone? How tall is the dock off the water? Does the dock have rub trim on it? Will you be able to get fenders out between the dock and boat? These are all questions that really need to be answered before opinions can be given imo. :) I'm kinda doubting that the maximum beam width is because the docks are actually that close. You sure its not just a marina rule so there is plenty of room between boats?

The Rooster

Ensign

One other thing to consider, "Forest", I believe Suntracker still offers a line of party barges w/ an 8'0" beam. Their Signature series I think. Not much more room , but could make the difference. Good luck !!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

On most boats the rub rail would be above the slip, as would be the widest point, but I want room for fenders no matter what the water conditions. You can get some really narrow fenders though. Flat ones.

Edit: My post is in regards to v hulls. 'toons are a different animal.

Forest Gump

Cadet

Is the slip on tidal water? Is it a floating dock? Is it in a no wake zone? How tall is the dock off the water? Does the dock have rub trim on it? Will you be able to get fenders out between the dock and boat? These are all questions that really need to be answered before opinions can be given imo. :) I'm kinda doubting that the maximum beam width is because the docks are actually that close. You sure its not just a marina rule so there is plenty of room between boats?

The slip is not in a marina, but is in a neighborhood shared boat house. Yes it is floating, and it is a no wake zone section of a freshwater lake. I have measured the distance, and it is right at 104", maybe even 105". The 104" slips are then separated by 36" walkways.

chriscraft254

Commander

The slip is not in a marina, but is in a neighborhood shared boat house. Yes it is floating, and it is a no wake zone section of a freshwater lake. I have measured the distance, and it is right at 104", maybe even 105". The 104" slips are then separated by 36" walkways.

Ok, well if thats the case, I would stick with a 8' beam. You want fenders out between the dock and boat. But if the dock is wrapped with rub trim, you can get away without them. If there is docks on both sides of the boat, you will be able to tie from both sides keeping the boat off the dock, so you may be able to go to a 8'6" beam, but I would still stay with an 8' if it were me. The beam of the boat is also measured usually at the widest part, in the stern usually. So maybe you will have more room than you think. Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... But what are the Elevations,..??

What parts of the hull, are gonna be beatin' on what parts of the dock....

You'll have Zer0 space for bumpers/ fenders...

Forest Gump

Cadet

Ayuh,.... But what are the Elevations,..??

What parts of the hull, are gonna be beatin' on what parts of the dock....

You'll have Zer0 space for bumpers/ fenders...

The widest part of the beam on most boats will be at least a foot higher than the level of the dock. In fact, once inside of my boat slip I am not as worried because I plan to lift my boat with a boat lift.

Thanks for all of your answers, but let me re-phrase the question to each of you, so that I can more fully understand. I think my biggest concern is getting a 102" wide boat, however slowly and carefully, through a door on my slip that is 105" at the widest. I think getting through the door, and between the beams which support that door, will be my biggest challenge.

Hurricane makes some really sweet Deck Boats but most all are 102" in width, and I am slightly obsessed with some of the Sundeck Sport models. However, Hurricane also has some 90.5" Beam width FunDeck models which will easily slide into the boathouse slip. I just think I would prefer the Sundeck Sport models from Hurricane.

I know that I will be bumping a 102" boat trying to ease into the 104"-105" door, and I wonder what your opinions were. Thanks so much for your help.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I think that if you were only gonna put it in there once and leave it for 6 months 102" would be ok but to actually use it... keeping in mind you have to be able to BACK through that door too.... 8' is MAX

IMHO that is

UncleWillie

Captain

If your concern is going in real slow and not bumping either side;
You will never get so straight or so centered that you could confidently get a 6 ft beam in there without touching something.
It is not like pulling a car into a garage with an inch of clearance on each side.
You will be lucky to stay within a foot of center. A slight breeze, and all bets are off.

Just stick the bow in and then gently pull it in the rest of the way with the dock lines.

Forest Gump

Cadet

If your concern is going in real slow and not bumping either side;
You will never get so straight or so centered that you could confidently get a 6 ft beam in there without touching something.
It is not like pulling a car into a garage with an inch of clearance on each side.
You will be lucky to stay within a foot of center. A slight breeze, and all bets are off.

Just stick the bow in and then gently pull it in the rest of the way with the dock lines.

UncleWillie, Thanks for your reply . . . . So do you think it is feasible for me to just stick the bow in on a 102" boat, into a 105" opening, and then gently pull it in the rest of the way with dock lines? That was my thought, but I just wonder about doing this "in and out", "out and in", on a regular basis, and what kind of wear and tear it will cause? I am not concerned with "pulling it in like a car into a garage". I have no problem just sticking the bow in, and pulling it the rest of the way.

There will be many days that I will docking the boat alone, so there is no guarantee that I can even get the bow in far enough for me to then jump up, and pull myself in.

I tend to agree with you that it is do-able, but I just wonder if I should settle for something around a 96" beam width?

jestor68

Commander

Forest Gump;4075883 I tend to agree with you that it is do-able said:
You are going to have to settle for something that will reasonably fit through the door, unless your boat handling skills are above average.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Door? Are you inside a boathouse?

Talk about putting a square peg in a round hole. You seem focused on buying a boat for a slip, not the other way around. If you want a big boat, get a big slip.

I would not moor a boat with a couple inches space and believe the correct practice is not to have any contact between the boat and the mooring structure--even with fenders. I know that will large yachts that's not feasible, but they don't beat and bounce around. And I know there are some, not many, set-ups with mill-pond conditions.

Although you've given us some detail, I'd want to know about whether you are tying to floating or fixed docks, and along side low structure or against vertical pilings, or both. We use pilings mostly, but floaters are more and more prevalent. And so are rub marks on hulls.

Also if you are going in that tight, you need to shop your rub rails. The little metal strip on some boats won't cut it; wood might not be a good idea. My boats have working rubrails (heavy black rubber with rope in them) so I can use them docking but still would not moor regularly against a piling. In fact, I have a tight set up and back in, with wind and current, in a four piling slip, so I often lever my rails against a piling to turn. Think about the working bumper on a jeep and the worthless bumper on a luxury car. be a jeep.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Hurricane deck boat in a small slip, and getting in and out of the slip is never done under power. I push out and pull it in by hand. The great part of the deck boats is you basically have a swim platform on both ends you can stand on all the way to the edge, which comes in handy when doing the push/pull in and out of the slip.

I do have more than 2" on either side though! if you plan on a lift this might not be a big deal.

Forest Gump

Cadet

I have a Hurricane deck boat in a small slip, and getting in and out of the slip is never done under power. I push out and pull it in by hand. The great part of the deck boats is you basically have a swim platform on both ends you can stand on all the way to the edge, which comes in handy when doing the push/pull in and out of the slip.

I do have more than 2" on either side though! if you plan on a lift this might not be a big deal.

Campy, I like your idea of coming in without power. The depth of the water on the boathouse will vary between 4 feet and 10 feet, depending on the lake level. I could use a telescoping push pole from the front platform when trying to enter between the front opening of the slip.

Forest Gump

Cadet

Door? Are you inside a boathouse?

Talk about putting a square peg in a round hole. You seem focused on buying a boat for a slip, not the other way around. If you want a big boat, get a big slip.

I would not moor a boat with a couple inches space and believe the correct practice is not to have any contact between the boat and the mooring structure--even with fenders. I know that will large yachts that's not feasible, but they don't beat and bounce around. And I know there are some, not many, set-ups with mill-pond conditions.

Although you've given us some detail, I'd want to know about whether you are tying to floating or fixed docks, and along side low structure or against vertical pilings, or both. We use pilings mostly, but floaters are more and more prevalent. And so are rub marks on hulls.

Also if you are going in that tight, you need to shop your rub rails. The little metal strip on some boats won't cut it; wood might not be a good idea. My boats have working rubrails (heavy black rubber with rope in them) so I can use them docking but still would not moor regularly against a piling. In fact, I have a tight set up and back in, with wind and current, in a four piling slip, so I often lever my rails against a piling to turn. Think about the working bumper on a jeep and the worthless bumper on a luxury car. be a jeep.

Home Cooking,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did get the slip before the boat. Since the slip went with the property, and it is part of a community boathouse, there is not much I can do about getting a bigger slip (for now at least). I am just trying to work within the parameters of the 105" opening. There is a roll-up door enclosing my slip. When the door is raised, there is approximately 105" in width between the two front beams. The dock does float up and down with the lake level, which will vary 6 to 8 feet over the course of a year. The boathouse is in a fairly protected inlet, so there is little wake or wind activity. Once I have the boat inside of the slip, it will be lifted out of the water on a boat lift. Once it is lifted, there should not be any problems with the dock rubbing against the hull.

jestor68

Commander

Bayliner's 2013 Model 190 19 ft deck boat has a beam of 97".