Seafoam and alcohol in gas

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seafoam and alcohol in gas

Yes I meant that it will be an additional selection at the pumps. EPA approved it for use, not mandating it even be available at every pump, just that stations can pump it
So just don't buy it! :facepalm:

matt167

Captain

So just don't buy it! :facepalm:

Never planned on it. Doubt it will come here to Ny anytime soon anyway. Still only a handfull of E-85 stations in the state last I checked.

As for Stihl, you are right. I just checked the warranty info and greater than 10% Ethanol means warranty void. I was going to get a Stihl trimmer 2 years ago and the dealer told me Ethanol voided the warranty, so I got a cheap Troy Bilt instead.

cyclops2

Banned

Millions of boat owners around the world have no problems.

Only the people with a bad load from somewhere stick it to Ethanol.

Seafoam ? All I know is when my V6 Accord gets less than 25 mpg on a 300 mile trip. I put in a double dose & in 2 tanks I am at 30 mpg again. It must do something somewhere some how. Every 2 years I do all the generators & other equipment.

Never used anything for 55 years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

All I know is when my V6 Accord gets less than 25 mpg on a 300 mile trip. I put in a double dose & in 2 tanks I am at 30 mpg again.
All I know is when my car drops to 20 MPG, I do NOTHING and then I am at 24 MPG again. Amazing how good NOTHING works!

cyclops2

Banned

Agreed

But some gas stations I NEVER go back to. Always have rougher idle etc.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Gasoline problems are almost always fuel contamination of some sort.......

According to the "lame-stream" media, yesterday, 6 NJ gas stations received loads of Jet-A instead of gasoline.......It would have probably been "ok" if they had pumped the Jet fuel into the diesel tanks but they put it in gasoline tanks!

ALL the marine manufacturers approve the use of E10 in their engines.

Just about all the automotive manufacturers also approve the use of E10.

I wouldn't use any gasoline with MORE than 10% though. Most stations have somewhat less than 10%.

You can test for it if it bothers you... Here's one kit : EAA - EAA's Alcohol Test Kit

There's many others including kits you can put together yourself.

cyclops2

Banned

Watering down ALL fossel fuels is the problem.

NOT adding expensive additives.

Broken underground filling pipe connections are a source of water getting in to the fuel you get.
When a tank truck churns up all the water in every underground tank, it gets pumped out with each gallon into a car.

Come back soon for more water. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If there really is that much liquid water in the supply tank, the phase separation would have already occurred there and you wouldn't even have to worry about it. Any water in the fuel at the supply source has already been absorbed into the fuel. The problem occurs more in your vehicles tank. Of course in a car you really don't have to worry about it unless you are somehow introducing water into your tank more than what is caused by the humidity of the air.

cyclops2

Banned

Cars have pressure & vacuum caps. It does a lot to stop " breathing ". Tests confirm the worst case of condensation is not the problem.........A wet load of gasoline is the problem.

Boat breathing is only slightly worse than a car. Bad gasoline is still the main cause.

matt167

Captain

Fuel station tanks pretty much all have water in them. The gasoline comes to the top, and the gas is pumped off the surface so it all works out and is usually a non issue especially now with Ethanol fuels as alcohol displaces water.. The tankers and the station workers can 'stick' the tank to see how much water is in there. water in gas becomes a problem most often when a station is refilling.. In years past, if a station was running low, they would pump water into the tanks to raise the gasoline level which worked, but really isn't a good idea, because eventually it would pump water, and it's not done anymore..

This is a good diagram on how it works. water-worries.jpg