Skeg Guards - any type best

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I did think of posting in engines - but not really engine/manufacturer specific.

Hi ? as I have a nice new boat, with shiny black Alpha Drive.
Just wondering is I should consider putting on a Skeg guard ?. I know some fit them post trauma, just thought fitting it now would avoid the joys of having to repaint end of skeg every so often.

If logic is sound what is the considered opinion on the more slim line ver ? such as
Megaware Skeg Pro :
Megaware Pro.JPG
compared for example the almost complete skeg replacement such as Megaware SkegGuard.
Megaware SkegGuard.JPG
Not fixated on this make, so welcome any advice, want something that does not spoil look of drive, and is a good fit & shape on Alpha 1 ... also if there is a make that is better in quality or best avoided ... be good to know.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Skeg Guards - any type best

so welcome any advice, want something that does not spoil look of drive, and is a good fit & shape on Alpha 1

I have run the full skeggard and it fits well. It does change the look of the drive tho. My 01 boat will not get one until it needs one. Maybe if you have a SS prop, the guard might look better... and more at home. But personally, i would not get one until i need one. You will be fine either way. Lots of guys dont even bother with the skeggard... they will have a new skeg welded on. Just my $.02 Goodluck!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I personally wouldn't put it on pre-trauma! If you hit something hard enough to damage the skeg, it is absorbing energy that would otherwise go somewhere else. Basically if you reinforce the skeg, the next weakest part in the chain is what will break. (and there is nothing cheaper than a skeg to replace! :joyous:)

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

What can a skeg guard do anyways? seems if you hit something that hard it will just take the whole thing off anyways. If it makes it "stronger" it will just fail at the next weakest point.

LK

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't understand why anyone cares what their skeg looks like. It's like worrying about your underwear. It's a piece of equipment that goes underwater. And why even repaint? Around here, any skeg with paint is on a boat that hasn't been used. Or used by girly men.

Those who boat in shallow rocky areas sometime weld on a piece of rebar. Ain't pretty but it's a guard. all the rest are cosmetic or repairs.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer

I don't understand why anyone cares what their skeg looks like. It's like worrying about your underwear. It's a piece of equipment that goes underwater. And why even repaint? Around here, any skeg with paint is on a boat that hasn't been used. Or used by girly men.

Those who boat in shallow rocky areas sometime weld on a piece of rebar. Ain't pretty but it's a guard. all the rest are cosmetic or repairs.

That one is easy to answer (for me) if paint gets scraped off ... corrosion sets in unless you repaint ... that takes time, that was my reason.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I try to keep the entire rig looking good. From the trailer to the sterndrive and everything in between. I trailer my boat... so looks on and off the water matter to me. I figure when it comes time to sell... looking nice will just make it sell a lot easier.

OP, if you installed one... would you oversize the holes slightly so you could prime and paint the inner diameter of the holes before you installed the hardware? I would think if you were concerned about corrosion, you wouldnt consider a skeggard. I think the minimal paint that gets scraped away is not a real concern compared to the holes you will have to put in your drive. I think just rough it up and blast it with paint once a year is acceptable.

Edit... saw this is my post # 1000!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Just scuff it and repaint before you sell it! Until then, just don't look at it if it bothers you.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

We obviously have a different approach to looking after boats.

My boats are in impeccable shape, and I've sold every one for more than I bought it for. But I boat in a relatively shallow river with a nice soft and sandy bottom. Almost zero rock. It is 100% impossible to have a skeg that has paint on it for more than a couple outings. I'd literally be repainting a couple of times a month.

Lack of paint on the skeg does not indicate the condition of maintenance of the boat in any way.

One thing to consider... If I'm shopping for a boat and see a skeg guard, I can pretty much assume that the owner managed to abuse the boat and find a rock pile. Having the skeg guard by itself is a far bigger negative than having some missing paint on the skeg, which is expected. And as I mentioned, come sale time, I can repaint it in a couple minutes. Removing the skeg guard and welding the holes is a slightly more involved matter.

jestor68

Commander

In as much as you boat in salt water, would bolting a large piece of stainless steel to your aluminum skeg(dissimilar metals) possibly result in increased corrosion issues?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well said, Smoke and Chine. Especially the warning sign from an aftermarket skeg guard.

And by the way--unpainted skegs don't corrode, at least not in salt water.

Skegs are a guard themselves. They contribute virtually nothing to steering (having run my OB with the skeg broken off) but protect the prop. That's the function. Putting a skeg guard on a perfectly good skeg is like putting another mudflap over a truck mudflap to protect the first one.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I am with alot of the others, I would skip until you actually screw it up, seems to me if you put one on and hit somethiung the damage would be worse with the gaurd since it reinfoices the skeg , the damage would go to the weakest spot which would be the top so what would have been a minor hit could turn into something major.

Normally when you whack a skeg you just nick it any how and being aluminum they are pretty easy to fix unless you rip them all the way off.

My 2 pennies

tpenfield

Staff member

I put one of those full Stainless steel guards on - post trama - after I hit a rock.

In my guesstimation, if you really hit something, it is going to be ball game, with or without the guard. If your goal is to keep the outdrive looking pretty, then maybe one of those leading edge stye guards.

My big concern, since I moor my boats, is the addition of stainless on the aluminum outdrive . . . I put a couple more anodes on the ventialtion plate when I added the SS Skegguard.

I currently have one of my outdrives with a semi-busted skeg on a Bravo III . . . prolly will go with a plastic skegguard (someday) just for whatever minimal improvement on performance/efficiency it may bring :noidea: . I don't want to add more Stainless to the outdrive . . .

IMG_1444.jpg

(that 'noidea' icon - :noidea: - is my favorite, I'm glad it is now available)