Want to "mirror" polish an older aluminum boat

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a 12' semi-vee Alumacraft that's about 40 years old. Central Illinois = fresh water. Rub your hand across is and it's akin to rubbing across 1000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper with a few pits.

I admit it. I'm attracted to pretty, shiney things.
That a mirror-finish hull is likely to go faster too has not escaped my attention.

I have an *OLD* Craftsman orbital sander with a felt pad to cushion the sandpaper. I'm thinking of using the bare felt to apply rubbing compound, then polishing compound. Assuming that works, what's a good 'wax' to use to preserve the appearance of my "go-faster MirrOlure"?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Want to "mirror" polish an older aluminum boat

It's a 12' semi-vee Alumacraft that's about 40 years old. Central Illinois = fresh water. Rub your hand across is and it's akin to rubbing across 1000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper with a few pits.

I admit it. I'm attracted to pretty, shiney things.
That a mirror-finish hull is likely to go faster too has not escaped my attention.

I have an *OLD* Craftsman orbital sander with a felt pad to cushion the sandpaper. I'm thinking of using the bare felt to apply rubbing compound, then polishing compound. Assuming that works, what's a good 'wax' to use to preserve the appearance of my "go-faster MirrOlure"?

Okay then..... you are part squirrel!!! It has been done many times before and what you feel is oxidation which is actually protecting your hull.

If you look up Airstream trailers you will see some polishing. A few members start with sand paper and wet sand through the gritty surface. You could try 600 or 1200 to start. Some people use 0000 steel wool too.......

It's a labor of love and you will have something to keep you busy!

Look at this boat http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...e-topics/how-polish-aluminum-hull-177292.html

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Also, you should know that while the difference will likely not be noticeable, a slick surface will actually have MORE drag and thus less speed than the slightly rough surface.... wax will slow it down even more!... TRUTH

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Also, you should know that while the difference will likely not be noticeable, a slick surface will actually have MORE drag and thus less speed than the slightly rough surface.... wax will slow it down even more!... TRUTH

Nonsensical truth!

Several of my buddies in the local club have 1950's vintage Feathercrafts. They were meant to be polished like they were chrome plated. Done right they simply look awesome.

So, here we have a 16' tinny with a 40 HP OB. OK, the mirror polish reduces the speed by 0.2 MPH. (Or, whatever). So now they get 24.8 mph instead of 25.....LOL.

So, who cares. Simply too cool to worry about it!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I like polished aluminum to and have done quite alot of it, mostly motorcycle parts.

Just be aware that it is a VERY time consuming proccess and once you start you almost have to finish, rivets and anything else on the hull will slow you down further so you will have a very cool looking boat but it is going to take you 100+ hours to get there.

And no your orbital sander won't work you will need an actual buffer and for a job this big it is well worth the money, check Harbor Freight, you should be able to get one pretty cheap.

If you have to sand I would start with 1000 then go to 2000 wet then a polish like Mothers, there are many.

Never tried compound but you will want a finish or last stage, nothing rough because you have to get all those scratches out.

Also when you are done get some Shark Hide on it to keep it shiney otherwise it will start oxidizing and you will be doing this again in a year.

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sanding is the KEY to a mirror like finish. Depending on the condition of the metal, pits and imperfections etc, I would start with 600 grit, then work in steps up to 2000 grit, then use 000 steal wool, then 0000 steal wool, before even attepmting to polish. I would definetly use a variable speed buffer, instead of the felt pad on a sander. I used to polish aluminum for a part time job at a casting foundry, and these are the steps we took for perfect chrome like finish. Good luck! It will be a HUGE job!

Mi duckdown

Commander

what a waste of time. BUT to each there own

jestor68

Commander

A few cans of "chrome" paint would be a lot easier. :)

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking how annoying it's going to be to be anywhere near that boat on a sunny day. I wouldn't want to be in the car behind it out on the road when it's being towed somewhere.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm thinking how annoying it's going to be to be anywhere near that boat on a sunny day. I wouldn't want to be in the car behind it out on the road when it's being towed somewhere.

It's all well worth it when you consider the grinding and tabbing of a 'glass boat!:rolleyes:

... it's your nown fault for not wearing your sunglasses on a sunny day anyway!:p

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well that's just awesome... Makes me want to go outside and start stripping paint off mine....

Austin
Best get started today and maybe with luck you might have it ready sometime next summer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Don't worry Jay... unless the owner is WAY persistant it'll just be like any other aluminum boat except it'll have a shiny spot on one side just big enough to see your face in.... If he IS tough enough to finish the job he'll probably keep a cover on it to protect his 2000 hours of hard work LOL

O/P..... no offense... just having fun.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

what a waste of time. BUT to each there own

I guess the typical boater must feel the same way. Look at your "typical" fiberglass runabout that is all chalked and faded, uncovered with the upholstery torn to shreds.

The REAL waste of time is watching TV!!. And I just can't believe the time wasted doing that gawdaweful texting when there is nothing really worth saying.

It ain't cool if your boat don't shine!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A few cans of "chrome" paint would be a lot easier. :)

I can't understand why they call it "chrome paint". It's not even a good grade of silver. Polished aluminum DOES look like chrome though.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Screw all that sanding BS. Haven't y'all heard of 'pearl discs'? Fit on yer 4" grinder. Come in grades from coarse to super fine. Make quick work of polishing aluminum. With far less material loss vs sanding. Find @ your local welding supply store.

kfa4303

Banned

some inspiration :0

AluminumBoat.JPGHornet.jpg