Best 31 ft Cruiser?

Seevee

Seaman
All,

I'm shopping for a 31 ft Cruiser, upgrading from a 270 Sundancer.
Goal is a good cruising boat for intercoastal, occasional out in the gulf, and trips in the ~50 mile or less range to neighboring towns. Need genset, AC, and twin engine. Will do occasional overnights with 2 to 4 people, hang on the hook, explore islands, stop at restaurants, marinas. Rarely out for more than 2 or 3 days at a time... usually day trips.

Also, want a port lounge/seat which eliminates the 310 SeaRay, so folks don't sit next to me. Like the walk thru windshield, large swim platform, open interior. Also, need IOs with shallow water nearby.

I've looked at the following and like them, just looking for "the best" or options I've missed:

Chapparal
Cruisers Yachts
Doral (nervous about the company in trouble, and a foreign one)
Maxum
Larson

A lot of the above come with 5.0 engines, which I think are too small for the above boats. Demo'd the 31 Chapparal with 5.0 and it was a pig.
Weight in the 10,000 to 13,000 is fine, so I could go up a ft or so.

Thoughts?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Best 31 ft Cruiser?

Are you looking for new or used?

Either way take a look at Four Winns also. The 298 Vista and the 318 Vista are well liked.

haulnazz15

Captain

You didn't really specify new/used, or a price/year range. Could be tons of options, Formula 31PC comes to mind, would definitely look for 5.7L's on a 30'+ boat.

Thalasso

Commander

Look at FourWinns. I think you get more for your money. Are there better boats? Sure no doubt about it, but they will cost alot more. I have twin 5.0's on mine (288Vista) It goes good enough for me. I don't need to get anywhere in a hurry.

tpenfield

Staff member

Formula 31PC would be best.

You won't be short on power.

LibertyBoat

Cadet

Of those you mentioned, the 2012 or 2013 Chaparral 310 is the best and most economical in the 31' category (catch at a boat show, they had fantastic prices in Ft Lauderdale). And this is said from someone who is a major Cruisers Yacht fan. The Chap you sea trialed was underpowered. Demo a minimum of 5.7L DTS Axius, and you'll have more impressive performance. In later years (2012/13), Cruisers Yachts is hard to beat when you begin with the 350. I've Sea Trialed the 310 SeaRay, and was not impressed. Their entire line is too expensive. Too expensive for what you get. Very slow out of the hole. Good luck in your search.

Seevee

Seaman

Are you looking for new or used?

Either way take a look at Four Winns also. The 298 Vista and the 318 Vista are well liked.

Rotary,

Yea, I missed the Four Winns... looked at them a few years ago and was not impressed, but looking at the smaller ones. The 318 looks excellent. Need to look seriously at that one.

And, yes, I'm a used buyer. Budget is a wide 50 to 100K.... and gut feeling, I'll find what I want in the 60 to 70 range. Looking for fairly late models with low hours. However, I want a really good deal, so if I get out of boating in a few years, the pain will be less.

How does the 318 ride in rough water with a 19d deadrise?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Is your 270 the older one with a 10 foot beam or the newer one with 9 foot.
I really appreciate the old 270 of ours, 31.6 overall length and the 10 foot beam gives a lot of room to move around.

We looked at the newer 90's/2000 models and they were cramped accommodations to say the least, the layout was just wrong.

Seevee

Seaman

Formula 31PC would be best.

You won't be short on power.

tpenfield,
The Formula 05 and later are great, but awful pricey. What makes them worth that much... almost 50% more than the competition.

Thalasso

Commander

You realize that when you get to that size trailing is going to be an obsolete thing.Your previous boat is ok but 31 ft????. I see it will be in salt water which will pose another problem of itself when left in.I would be making sure i had v drives/inboards because they can be had with both types of drives.(I/O)

tpenfield

Staff member

tpenfield,
The Formula 05 and later are great, but awful pricey. What makes them worth that much... almost 50% more than the competition?

Well, because it is a Formula, that's why . . . :D.

If you are buying new, then they are scary expensive, but in the used market, asking prices are one thing, selling prices are another.

Once you own one, it is tough to own anything else. For me, I just like the design, styling, components & materials and the way they are built for ocean waters.

I just bought a 330 SS, but did happen to look at an older (1993) 31PC during my search (it was nice and held up well over the years)

haulnazz15

Captain

The difference in price for the Formula is going to be in the quality of the materials. They typically use more stainless steel instead of aluminum or plastic versus other lines. There is a reason Formula is one of the premium brands, like Cobalt, Cruisers Inc, etc.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Have you looked at Tiara. Very high quality.

Seevee

Seaman

The difference in price for the Formula is going to be in the quality of the materials. They typically use more stainless steel instead of aluminum or plastic versus other lines. There is a reason Formula is one of the premium brands, like Cobalt, Cruisers Inc, etc.

Yea, I like the Cruisers.... great boat, and high on my list. Cobalt is a bow rider, not interested. The jury is still our on spending a bunch more for a Formula.

Seevee

Seaman

Have you looked at Tiara. Very high quality.

Tiara is fine, but only an inboard... I need the shallow benefits of an IO. Also, not fast and more of a fishing boat. I want creature comforts. But Tiara is a fine boat.

haulnazz15

Captain

Yea, I like the Cruisers.... great boat, and high on my list. Cobalt is a bow rider, not interested. The jury is still our on spending a bunch more for a Formula.

Funny, there are some Cobalt Yachts that would beg to differ. Check out the Cobalt 373 or Cobalt 46, they'll hang with any other Yacht in the same size/class. Granted, I wasn't recommending Cobalt for your 31' cruiser, but was just referencing them being in the upper tier with Formula, Cruisers, and Chris Craft.