Best 31 ft Cruiser?

MrVista

Recruit
Re: Best 31 ft Cruiser?

my buddies have a 3175 cruiser yacht and a rinker 312, ive been boating with them for 10 yrs, great boats

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You realize that when you get to that size trailing is going to be an obsolete thing.Your previous boat is ok but 31 ft????. I see it will be in salt water which will pose another problem of itself when left in.I would be making sure i had v drives/inboards because they can be had with both types of drives.(I/O)

Not really true about salt water posing problems, if yoi take care of the boat it is fine. Tell my buddy whos 24ft Maxum has been in salt 24/7 since 05. Its all about preventative maintenance. My boat will be going into the salt this Saturday permanently.

OP have you looked at any of the 31ft Dorals? Quality product, woukd not sweat it that they have become bankrupt, i am sure someone will pick them up or the line up. No issue w my 250SE and finding parts but i do love the quality of the boat.

Seevee

Seaman

Not really true about salt water posing problems, if yoi take care of the boat it is fine. Tell my buddy whos 24ft Maxum has been in salt 24/7 since 05. Its all about preventative maintenance. My boat will be going into the salt this Saturday permanently.

OP have you looked at any of the 31ft Dorals? Quality product, woukd not sweat it that they have become bankrupt, i am sure someone will pick them up or the line up. No issue w my 250SE and finding parts but i do love the quality of the boat.

Ciscokidd,

Yes, I've looked at Doral. Nice, but prefer American made and prefer a more solvent company. Also, they are a bit rare, too.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Ciscokidd,

Yes, I've looked at Doral. Nice, but prefer American made and prefer a more solvent company. Also, they are a bit rare, too.

Good thinking Seevee. As nice a boat as Doral makes, I would not bank on them being around many more years, and as for someone buying the line, doubtful.
Any updates on what you have been considering ?

haulnazz15

Captain

Good thinking Seevee. As nice a boat as Doral makes, I would not bank on them being around many more years, and as for someone buying the line, doubtful.

Sorry, but I can think of very few situations where you need the manufacturer around anyway. Aside from emblems and other finish-items, the working parts of the boat aren't usually made by the manufacturer. The use Mercruiser/Volvo for engines/controls, Teleflex for steering, Jabsco, TaylorMade, et al. Doral still being in business would be one of the last concerns I had about the boat. Over half of the boats on the water today are probably made by companies that no longer exist.

tpenfield

Staff member

I thought that Doral was done . . . :noidea:

Seevee

Seaman

Slip,

Now that the holidays are over, time to get back to boat shopping.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Formula or the Chaparral. These two boats have a strong following, excellent support with solvent companies, great reviews and few issues. There's a few others that would work, too, but not without a huge discount.

One exception could be the newer 290 Sundancer, but the layout is a bit funky, and the price is too high for now.

haulnazz15,

You're right, but when you can get a boat of similar or better quality, with a solvent manufacturer, and in the US, it's a no brainer.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

We are about due for another update. How is it going ?????

Also, 61.45% of the registered boats still on the water ( North America) , are made by builders that still exist. (Per NMMA)