Twins over Single

Mattash

Seaman Apprentice
Captains, <br />I'm wondering how (2) 115hp 4 strokes would perform as a replacement to a single 225 hp 2-stroke. Better top end speed? more torque out of the hole? Does the extra weight defeat any gains?<br />Thanks,<br />Joe

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Twins over Single

It will be much slower. 2 lower units = twice the drag, without extra horses to compensate. The wt difference is prob 250 lbs, but wouldnt make near the diff that the lower unit drag does.

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice

Captain RI JOE, A friend did something similiar.Replaced the 225 Johnson Ocean Pro with a pair of 150 4 stroke Yamahas. He claimed. (+) More speed,more power,more dependibility,better fuel economy. (-) Excessive weight in the stern,(narrow Dusky) more maintainence, and a rod through the starboard Yamaha block...

Mattash

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks mbb/bigrod.<br />I am thinking more in the lines of dependability and range with the 4 strokes. The excess drag is one issue I failed to consider.<br />Maybe I should save my money and cross my fingers with this old 1992 225 Johnson. So far there are few problems with it and I have heard that this motor is a 2000 hour motor if well cared for. Who knows??<br />Thanks again

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Another thing to keep in mind is how you use your boat. I personally am a bit leary about heading way off shore with a single engine boat. <br />Sorry, but if the 225 died when you were 30 miles off shore, with a storm moving in, and all you have is a 9.9 kicker...<br /><br />I'd go for the twins anyday. <br />Personally, I always put safety over speed when I'm out on the water. Idealy, you'd want twin engines each operating off of separate fuel tanks. (That's just an extra safegard to protect against fuel contamination.)<br /><br />Yes they will cost more and will not go as fast as a single, but it all depends on your priorities...<br /><br />Nav.

Mattash

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Navigator. These are my thoughts exactly.<br />Happy Motoring

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more thing to think about: steering failure. In the past 10 years I've experienced 5 total failures in all types of boats and was luck that they all were twin engined. Case in point, on my last actual related job the owner of the boat commented that I used a lot of differential power instead of steering to manuever the boat in tight quarters and that he had never seen that before. About a month later with a full load of passengers the pinion gear in the helm striped and jammed the steering. After compleating the cruise I informed him of the failure and that not even the deckhand had a clue. <br />Go for the twins, resell value will increase also.<br />Capt Ron