Seat mounting options 1974 Baja 16ft

lilhoss

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums here but quickly noticed there are a lot of knowledgeable boaters in here.
I boat this 74 Baja a couple weeks ago and plan on doing a couple updates to it. One being new carpet and new front seats and installation of a rear bench type seat.

Question 1 = Seats that are in the boat currently are mounted directly to a wood platform that is just resting in place. Under that wood platform is the original seat mounts (as seen in the pics). Been searching and cant really find a good picture or description on how to mount a seat to the original locations. I'm going to be purchasing some generic bucket seats and i'm unsure of how to go about mounting them. (or do i stick with the wood platform?)

Question 2 = Goes along with first question but and suggestions on mounting a rear bench seat or 2 more buckets?

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas that you have... go ahead and tell me your thoughts (about the boat seats that is!) :D

exterior 1.jpg
interior rear.jpg
both seat.jpg
signle seat.jpg

Attachments

• rear rear interior.jpg
    rear rear interior.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 4

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Seat mounting options 1974 Baja 16ft

My Hydrostream is a very similar boat and also had some Kustom seat mounts going on. I initially put in a different custom design with some L channel metal that was screwed directly into the deck. That didn't work out (metal was too soft and buckled), so I bought premade metal slider mounts from iBoats and screwed those straight into the deck as well.

You can go right into the deck as long as it's not rotted and you are liberal with 3M 5200 to seal them up. I would eliminate all of the original and Kustom seat mounting, a lot of it looks rotten. If you need more height or want to avoid screwing into the deck, build new seat boxes out of wood and glass them onto the deck, then screw your seat mounts into the seat boxes.

lilhoss

Cadet

I'm think i'm just going to end up constructing new seat boxes for everything.

:cool:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

You need to make new boxes and bed then glass them to hull.

The only deck is the little strip down the middle, the rest is balsa cored hull (do not screw into it)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have a similar boat, but with back to back seats. I ended up fiberglassing pressure-treated 2x2 lumber to the deck. I spaced the 2x2 lumber to be just inside the bases, tight to the sides. I then drove stainless steel wood screws thru the bases into the 2x2s to hold the bases in place. Use finish washer under the screw heads.

For your application, something similar would work well.