thoughts and ideas for new boating website!

hondakillrsx

Seaman
Hey guys,
I just wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on a new website idea I have for boaters around the US. My idea is to develop a website that lets everyone search and register public boat ramps all over the country. It will be a fast and easy way to search for ramps in your area and when vacationing. What do you guys think of this?

My second question is whether I would have any volunteers that would help me populate the maps. I know this is a tall order but with a little effort I feel like this could be a very valuable resource for anyone needing to get their boat wet. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I'd like to get some honest feed back. Thanks in advance.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: thoughts and ideas for new boating website!

I think this has already been done... google boat ramps.

hondakillrsx

Seaman

I can't find anything that comes up on google, just local ramps. I do know there are apps that offer this but as far as googling, it doesn't come up with anything for the entire US. Let me know if anyone else finds any. I am an avid web developer so I'm confident I can get it at the top of every google search for "Boat ramps".

r.j.dawg

Ensign

There is a Canadian one. It's missing a couple of launches in my area but I guess they are updating with user info as they get it.
http://www.boatlaunches.ca/

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't find anything that comes up on google, just local ramps. I do know there are apps that offer this but as far as googling, it doesn't come up with anything for the entire US. Let me know if anyone else finds any. I am an avid web developer so I'm confident I can get it at the top of every google search for "Boat ramps".

Since google knows where you are, if you just google "boat ramps, you get mostly info abut your location. If you add your destination to your search, you get ramps in that area. In your website, they would have to do the same... state their destination.

Will take a long time to get profitable.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it's a good idea. You can use the google maps API to lay the foundation. Lay in some extra datebase entries with with the ammenities are, condition, max size of boat the parking lot and surrounding water can handle.

When I first started here in Arkansas I had problems trying to find ramps, found one on the rive that was mainly a fishing boat ramp, so when I put my bow rider in there and was bouncing off logs and getting stuck in mud I was upset.

Only downside is, it will take forever to build the database. Starting an established forums like that when there are other options is going to be hard to attract a user base.

Good luck

rshiver

Cadet

Check the dept. of natural resources website in your state. Boating/boat ramp locations.

emoney

Commander

Y'up, I think the biggest "issue" you have is creating the "ramp database". Might not be as easy as you think to get "volunteers" to generate data for a website that will probably create revenue for it's owner considering how many thousands upon thousands of boat ramps there are in the Continental U.S. I know that if I google "Pasco COUnty Florida Boat Ramps" it pops up several sites that list the publicly available ramps. You might be able to do that for every county in every state to gather your data. I'm sure it'll be a lot fo work, but anything worthwhile always is. Good luck if you do it!

hondakillrsx

Seaman

I'm not going to try and make money off the site. I feel like this is needed in our community because, like previously stated, you have to basically go to several sites to find what you're looking for, yes each state has it's own. I just think it would great to have it ALL in one area, super easy to search, hit the site, type in a town, lake or beach and it will bring it up, once you click on a ramp, I feel it would be a great idea to have such info as, boat size range, whether they rent boats, boat and tackle at ramp. You know, more info then any other site.

Now, I do agree that the hardest part would be to build the DB. I plan to scour the state sites looking for ramps to get the initial data. but much of the idea comes from trapster.com which is nothing without a user following and I feel that boaters have a certain pride to boating and they would take the time to add their ramps. Easy of use is what it will be all about. Also, state sites and the like do not have back country "ramps" which would also be nice to know. I am an avid Google API guy with MySQL, which is exactly what I plan to use. I actually have a lot of the work down already. I just want to make sure I'm ready to dive into a boat load of work, i want to make sure it will be worth it.

emoney

Commander

I've been thinking about this for a few minutes, and now that you just responded with the "not to make money" thing, I'd have to say it doesn't seem like it's a wise thing to do. I just can't think of a time in the 25 years or so of boating that I've done that I've needed help in finding a ramp. Now, don't get me wrong, I know tons of people do travel with their boats, but what's the % and how often? The odds are, if you're going somewhere you're not familiar with, you have a secondary destination in mind. What I mean by that is let's say I was going to Key West and planned to take my boat. I would start by finding where I was going to stay and for the most part, the hotel, let's say, will already have ramp information usually.

Now, if you can do it and find to way for it to generate revenue, then the huge amount of undertaking creating the database will probably be worth it. I just would hate to think of spending thousands of hours on something like this for limited use. ANy thoughts to making it comingled with another use for the site? For example, that would be a neat thing to have here at iboats, because people are already coming to the site for other reasons. But if there was ONLY ramp information, I would've probably never been here and if I had been, only once maybe? Just thinking out loud.

hondakillrsx

Seaman

well I don't think it would generate revenue with out traffic so it would have to become a pretty popular site before I thought about any kind of advertising. I feel like it would have MUCH more data then any other site, not just that there is a ramp but also everything else that comes with boating.

I don't know about anyone else but I take my boat with me on almost every vacation and it would be great to be able to search a map and find all the ramps including gas stations and tackle shops around any given lake.

I really appreciate the constructive "thinking out loud". It's a way to get free work shopping :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

THink it will be near impossible to verify all the data.
They to keep it updated and current.
With most of the ramps, tackle and bait shops being privately owned, how will you keep current info as these places change ownership and business names?

looks like someone beat you to it, or at least they tried to.

http://www.launchingramps.com/