plastic windshield cloudy, hard to see through. replace it?

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
my wrap around windshield on my starcraft sea mist is cloudy, is there any way to fix this? there is a place in keystone hights FL that makes new ones starting at $350 is this a resonable price? thanks.
IMAG0074.jpg

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: plastic windshield cloudy, hard to see through. replace it?

before you decide to change it, wax it .... use any good car cleaner wax .... it works really well on plastic golf cart windows

Jim

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ill try that, thanks jim

Friscoboater

Captain

Or sand it with 1500 grit sandpaper, and then polish with a buffer and glaze.

bassman284

Commander

I would try Meguiar's PlastX first. It's main use is clearing up cloudy or yellowed headlight lenses. Those are polycarbonate and I woudl assume your windshield is as well. Very effective on headlight covers. About 6 or 7 bucks a bottle.

Another thing to try is toothpaste. That will also clear up the headlights but takes a lot longer.

I'd be afraid to use wax on it. It will likely just seal in al the defects and be a real bear to get off.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is a product for motorcycle wind screens that we used to use for plexiglass on video games.It was amazing even on
deliberate scratches.
Probably 25 years ago 2 different times we had windshields made for our 70 Starcraft Nova. As I recall about $200.
I'd say 350 is about right.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked at it some more today and it looks like the imperfections are actually inside the plastic, i will try the methods you guys posted but i think i need a new one. Thanks guys

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I looked at it some more today and it looks like the imperfections are actually inside the plastic,

if that proves to be the case, giving it a try sure can't hurt .... do hope it works out for you

Jim

if you are any good at wood work then make a new one. tape over the old one on the inside with masking tape then lay then lay thin strips of wood on the inside then tape and glue wood to reinforce the shape. what you are trying to do is make a frame thats the same shape as the original. then take plexy glass and heat with a electric heat gun over the frame. do not hold the gun still as it will make the plexy yellow. (heating elements work better but for one off its not worth the effort). making the frame is the costly bit and you might get lucky and find a local buisness that can heat a sheet of plexy and drap it over a frame you made.

Fed

Commander

Plexus

If that doesn't work you will still be able to use it on your new screen so it won't be wasted.