Buying a boat

Devveon

Cadet
I?m in the mist of purchasing first my boat, and have just started to look what information is needed, to make sure that the title and registration transfer is smooth. As it looks I will be buying a boat in the state I live (Ohio). Reading online, it seems to be a mess of what you should do and not?

What needs to be checked on the title, just that the HID is the same as on the title, and the name of the person matches the person trying to sell me the boat? Or is there anything else that should be verified?

Also, one of the boats that I?m considering have new Inboard engines (And new out drives) is there anything to check on those? Are they somehow registered with the boat/should be?

What did you guys check when buying your boat, and more important what did you wish that you had checked?

cr2k

Captain
Re: Buying a boat

Can't stress a sea trial enough. Even a survey on the hull and power train. At the very least running (on muffs) for at least 15 minutes or until past warmed up. Check the oil for quantity and color before and after it is run. More oil and lighter color or milky means water leaking in to oil, run from boat. Pull the drain plug on the drive (just enough to get a sample and make sure there is no water in it). Wonder why they put new engines and drives in it. Do they not take care of it? Very important to do at least the above after such a cold winter to check for block and or drive freeze cracks.
If they don't want to run the engines RUN away. Most states register a boat like a car and there is no SN check on engines. Do Not let them start the engines with out water. If they do or have even for 15 seconds you will need new impellers which you should replace just to know when they were last done. If the boat was run without water it also burns out the inside of the exhaust tubes (rubber) which is very hard to detect for the outside. Lots to be aware of. One last thought...A person selling a boat will lie to you more than a fisherman about the one that got away. With boat labor between $90 and $140/hr. Any minor issues are bargaining points. BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand. After all this is done and you strike a deal pursue a Safe Boating Course. Then have fun on the water.

Sorry to go on about things that can go wrong, I am not trying to dissuade you from buying a boat just don't want to see you get burned.

tpenfield

Staff member

I just bought a boat . . . my third boat.

1) Documentation check of course.

2) Sea Trial with the surveyor

3) Marine Survey to include inspection out of the water as well as in the water.

I generally go through the boat pretty well when I first look at them, but there is always some stuff that comes up in the survey.

jkust

Rear Admiral

What sort of boats are you looking at? You mention one has an inboard so I presume you are looking at a tow sports boats or something large with twins as you mentioned engines plural and not I/O or outboards. Just trying to drill down a bit.

eicon

Cadet

I?m in the mist of purchasing first my boat, and have just started to look what information is needed, to make sure that the title and registration transfer is smooth. As it looks I will be buying a boat in the state I live (Ohio). Reading online, it seems to be a mess of what you should do and not?

What needs to be checked on the title, just that the HID is the same as on the title, and the name of the person matches the person trying to sell me the boat? Or is there anything else that should be verified?

Also, one of the boats that I?m considering have new Inboard engines (And new out drives) is there anything to check on those? Are they somehow registered with the boat/should be?

What did you guys check when buying your boat, and more important what did you wish that you had checked?

Here is a good article that covers some areas; http://www.texasstarz.com/boat-buying.html