Jon Boat Stick Steering ?

FISHFINK

Seaman Apprentice
guys,
have any of you installed stick steering on your jon boat ?
i have a 14ft flat bottom aluminum jon boat with a 25hp yamaha two stroke tiller engine.
i would like to install stick steering on it, making it easier to drive. i also would like to either install a twist throttle on the steering stick, maybe from a motorcycle, something like that.
im wondering if i could just fab up a cable system to hook up to the throttle linkage without having to disassemble the factory tiller throttle system ?
steering should be pretty straight forward, but im curious about the throttle system..... not sure if twisting the tiller handle does other things besides opening the carbs, like advance the timing or something ?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks guys

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jon Boat Stick Steering ?

Most engines increase spark timing as a function of rpm. Like my 90 runs about 2 BTDC at idle and 22 at WOT. You are going to have to address that. Years ago the linkage had connections on the outside of the cowling such that you could have your cake and eat it....you still had the tiller in place but you could also attach your remotes.

One thing you need to plan for. There WILL be times when you strike an underwater obstruction that can throw you off balance. You need to prepare for it one way or another. A well attached front seat with arms helps, maybe an engine kill lanyard, a spring loaded throttle, the steering handle with some amount of friction to it such that if you took your hand off the lever it wouldn't change course......

Mark

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

guys,
i have a 14ft flat bottom aluminum jon boat with a 25hp yamaha two stroke tiller engine.
i would like to install stick steering on it, making it easier to drive. i also would like to either install a twist throttle on the steering stick, maybe from a motorcycle, something like that.
im wondering if i could just fab up a cable system to hook up to the throttle linkage without having to disassemble the factory tiller throttle system ?
steering should be pretty straight forward, but im curious about the throttle system..... not sure if twisting the tiller handle does other things besides opening the carbs, like advance the timing or something ?
thanks guys

Seems like you can't get much easier to drive, than a tiller outboard.

Seems like a lot of wasted effort and expense for very little gain, if any.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Seems like you can't get much easier to drive, than a tiller outboard.

Seems like a lot of wasted effort and expense for very little gain, if any.

The gain is weight distribution and visibility when there are more than one occupant. BTDT

Mark

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Buy an outboard with the proper throttle and shift connections and electric start.
buy a battery.
Buy a set of controls and cables with a kill switch.
Buy the stick steering.

After you tally up the cost, decide if it is worth it for "visibility" or "ease of use."

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Lots of folks in my neck of the woods do run stick steering in their jon boats. I think it's so they can sit farther forward so they can see any submerged objects more easily. Unfortunately, it seems to box them in a bit too. The stick steering, makes it difficult to stand, turn around, or speak/listen to the other folks on the boat too. Of course, I've never understood why you would want your guest behind you in the first place, but that's just me, I guess. However, if you're dead set on getting stick steering, it can certainly be done. Check out Cutomgheenoe.com and/or Grady White Boats.com. They both regional, Florida builders that specialize in modified tin boats/canoes. They're very well made and have a huge cult following down here. You might be able to get some ideas or inspiration. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Baytown.boy

Seaman

Why are ol folks on here telling people what not to do, I thought this a help forum not a knock done forum for their ideas. I have built approx 15 or so more boats and have installed stick steering in about 5 or 6 back in the 60's and 70's. That was done with 1/8" SS plastic coated aircraft cable and rollers. I know now that they have cable stick steering like in the Bass Pro Shops crappie boats that makes for a much easier and safer installation. Get a shifter box and the universal installation kit for remote steering and ya ready to go.

kfa4303

Banned

Here are some similar set ups. I don't think you could stand and use them like you can with a tiller/center console, but then again, you may not need to. Keep us posted. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

023_1.jpg100_1816.jpg2005 STICK BOAT 1.jpgIMG_0609-1.jpgsuper.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Why are ol folks on here telling people what not to do, I thought this a help forum not a knock done forum for their ideas. I have built approx 15 or so more boats and have installed stick steering in about 5 or 6 back in the 60's and 70's. That was done with 1/8" SS plastic coated aircraft cable and rollers. I know now that they have cable stick steering like in the Bass Pro Shops crappie boats that makes for a much easier and safer installation. Get a shifter box and the universal installation kit for remote steering and ya ready to go.

Is the Lynchburg Ferry still running? Specs still school out in the bay? Ducks still come into Anahuac? I remember the first BB's that Skeeter built...the ones with the pointed bow and "cockpit". Really built for timber fishing. Stick steering is about all you could use with those.........they are one of the reasons I left OMC and went with Merc. The protruding gearbox on those old engines caught on everything where the Mercs would just glide over it. I remember Gilligan's Island too. Fun show.

Mark

FISHFINK

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for some of the help guys.
its just a personal preference for me, i knew not everyone would like the idea.
i dont like setting sideways in the seat to get a hold of the tiller.
when and if i do the modification, i will post how it came out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

guys,
thanks guys

Surely, your Yamaha will accept a factory remote control for shift and throttle----won't it??? You put the steering on one side and the control on the other side.