Spray on bed liner for hull protection on a 14 foot aluminum boat.

Looking at using hippo liner or raptor liner. I like the idea of DIY spray on liners. I don't care about the hydro dynamics or handling of the boat. As I will be using it for a river/walleye troller.

Looking for opinions and advice on what is best for the first time do it yourself'er

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Spray on bed liner for hull protection on a 14 foot aluminum boat.

Welcome to iboats.

It is not a good idea. If the aluminum is not brand new you can have separation problems and any future repairs become a nightmare. If you are doing it for solving leaks there are products designed for that. If you are using it for a barrier coating on the exterior of the hull there are products for that too.

Look into our restoration section ;)

Google "Gluvit" which is the proper product for repairing leaks and application as a barrier coat. One quart size can will leak-proof a 18' boat hull

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

People that apply bedliner to the inside or outside of their hull end up regretting it.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

People that apply bedliner to the inside or outside of their hull end up regretting it.

I know a few people who have sprayed it on there aluminum boats, and have loved it.

I personally use a product called coat-it. it is like gluvit, but cheaper. Has worked great on the 2 aluminum boats i have used it on.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Duck boats are coming from the factory with a floor coating as a popular option these days. My uncle ordered his duck boat that way and I like it. However, as the guys have said, be sure that what you use is made for boats, and don't apply it for the express purpose of stopping leaks. If you have leaks address them first. Let us know how it turns out. Welcome aboard.:)

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

The problem with it is if it chips off it is very hard to seal and it can chip.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Stelflex;gluv-it;coat-it etc...better choices for the outside.
Bedliner maybe for the inside but none of these should be used to stop leaks.
Re-buck the rivets or get it welded...the above products will help maintain the hull afterwards;bedliner not so much.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Duck boats are coming from the factory with a floor coating as a popular option these days. My uncle ordered his duck boat that way and I like it. However, as the guys have said, be sure that what you use is made for boats, and don't apply it for the express purpose of stopping leaks. If you have leaks address them first. Let us know how it turns out. Welcome aboard.:)

There have been a couple of builds in the restoration forum with guys using it on their plywood decks and it looks good and seems to hold up well... but on the hull is a different story.

If you apply the liner to the hull and have leaks you have to remove that junk to fix your leaks and the liner makes it harder to find just exactly where the leaks are.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

There have been a couple of builds in the restoration forum with guys using it on their plywood decks and it looks good and seems to hold up well... but on the hull is a different story.

If you apply the liner to the hull and have leaks you have to remove that junk to fix your leaks and the liner makes it harder to find just exactly where the leaks are.

Possibly, but I'm talking about a brand new all welded Excel duck boat with the liner (not truck bed liner) applied to the inside of the boat only at the factory. If the boat does develop a leak it goes back to Excel and is their problem. That said, I can't think of any good reason to apply any kind of lining to the exterior of the boat, which I realize I did not articulate clearly at all.

shrew

Lieutenant

I would think a very rough, heavy non-skid lining sprayed onto the exterior of the hull would serve little practical purpose. It is not an antifouling paint, and isn't intended to be a fully submersed, non-permiable barrier coat.

What problem is this possible solution attempting to solve?

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I know this is apples and oranges, but I have seen a few brand new trucks that have been painted (entire exterior) with spray on bed liner -- one of them was a $50,000 lifted 2012 Tundra. They are doing it for looks, but it seems it would be easy to repair/touch up. Seems like it might hold up if the boat wasn't left in the water.

Everyone thanks for the opinions and advice. I'll be looking at the restoration section for more information. I'm trying to keep a photo log of what's been done.