New to us Rescue Boat

aspeck

Staff member
In the process of providing better service to our coverage area, our fire company has been working on forming a Water Rescue Department. Today we added another piece to the puzzle ... a 1999 16 foot tinny with a 1999 40hp Merc. Going to get a jet pump to replace the lower unit. We are happy!

100_0410.jpg

100_0411.jpg

100_0413.jpg

100_0414.jpg

100_0412.jpg

Impeller change and tune up are on the docket.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New to us Rescue Boat

Very nice. I would suggest looking into getting side rails (grab bars) along both sides.

I sincerely hope you NEVER have to use that craft!

Remember to store it with the carbs absolutely drained too.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Very nice. I would suggest looking into getting side rails (grab bars) along both sides.

I sincerely hope you NEVER have to use that craft!

Remember to store it with the carbs absolutely drained too.

You don't drain the carbs on any other rescue vehicle including the portable generators. You treat the fuel and exercise the vehicle/device regularly. Rescue means available "now" not having someone crank and kill a battery trying to start an engine that has not been started in -- however long. Run the engine for 10 minutes every week on muffs if you have to and it will be ready to go when needed. The next best thing is to train everyone who will be tasked with running the rig how to start a carbureted two stroke which this apparently is. About half the people on the planet do it wrong.

aspeck

Staff member

Tell me about it ... the guy that showed it to us flooded it and couldn't get it started. I took over and got it firing in a minute. Runs good, and will be run at a minimum of once a month. I get to be in charge of keeping it in running shape, so I will HAVE to take it to the lake every couple of weeks.

It has a nice rope grab area along both sides. Trailer also has a bracket to put an inflatable over the top. Has emergency lights, strobe lights, trickle charging system installed, wiring for radio, lots of 12 volt outlets, oars, pfds, helmets, 4 props (one is new, one is okay, and 2 are beat up), skeg is broken off, power trim/tilt, all for $4K.

tallcanadian

Captain

Cool boat Art. It's nice that you got that for your fire department. I know it can be hard raising money for things as important as that. The town that I moved from has this boat and recently got a hovercraft. Very nice for ice and water rescues.

151.jpg

051.jpg

Wecanoe

Seaman Apprentice

Nice boat. The jet drive on the lower unit will make for a versatile boat!

This is what our local FD has. Because we have the possibility of ice covered laked 5 months out of the year, ice rescue is near the top of the list. We also have 1005 lakes in the county, plus the Mississippi River. The Ice Angle is subject to being called out by multiple angencies. It also helps to have a large industrial tax base in our area. I am on the First Responder team of one industry, and have had the opportunity to get a couple of rides ont he Ice Angle. Fun!

Iceangel.jpg

Function - Water/Ice Rescue
Manufacturer - Windmark Manufacturing
Length - 20 ft.

Motor
■502 Cubic Inch Chevy
■500 hp
Seating - 3 seat cockpit

Accessories
? 2 Ice Commander suits
? 1 Mustang operator suit (Full floatation)
? 3 full shield helmets with radio communication
? 1000 # boom winch
? Miscellaneous water rescue equipment
Trailer Mfg. - Windmark Manufacturing