boat covers, hydamax vs sharkskin

ziggy

Admiral
any one have any opinions on which brand, fabric to get? sharkskin or hydramax. i don't know the difference.
this is what i'm looking at..

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat covers, hydamax vs sharkskin

your confusion is well understood and shared .... hence the reason I recently started a similar thread .... hopefully clarification is on the way

Jim

fishrdan

Admiral

I wasn't sure either and bought the Hydramax cover since the material was thicker/heavier. When I received the cover and checked out the tags, low and behold, there was a Sunbrella tag sewn into the cover... :confused::eek::D I'm not sure if the material is Sunbrella (seems like it) or if they sewed the wrong tag into the cover, but the P/N on the box is a bit different than the Hydramax cover I ordered. Different P/N = Sunbrella, I don't know.

If this is actually a Hydramax cover, I'm happy with it as the material is thicker than any other cover I've had before.

Just a FYI, the FS218 cover I bought has a pull rope sewn in, instead of a bungee cord. This isn't a biggie, but there is a cut out in the back of the cover that I wasn't expecting, cutout to allow for the ropes to pull and not rip the cover (I guess). At first glance I thought it was for an outboard, but the cutout isn't big enough for that. Minor gripe, but thought I would share it. I tied a rubber truckers strap onto the tension rope, to keep the rope taught, easier than tying and untying the rope every time or using one of those rope tensioners.

Thalasso

Commander

SunBrella by far.Just because a cover is heavy it doesn't make it good. It has to be able to breath

ziggy

Admiral

thanks for the comments so far.

so is hydromax or sharkskin, SunBrella?

When I received the cover and checked out the tags, low and behold, there was a Sunbrella tag sewn into the cover... :confused::eek::D I'm not sure if the material is Sunbrella (seems like it) or if they sewed the wrong tag into the cover, but the P/N on the box is a bit different than the Hydramax cover I ordered. Different P/N = Sunbrella, I don't know.
hum..... guess you question whether or not it's sunbrella...
Just a FYI, the FS218 cover I bought has a pull rope sewn in, instead of a bungee cord.
thanks for that info. i like the springy cord too. never had one with a draw string. but i think i'd like spring cord better. what i'm used to anyways. guess that makes me lean towards the sharkskin even though the covers i've referenced the hydramax specs say it's slightly better durability.

fishrdan

Admiral

so is hydromax or sharkskin, SunBrella?

hum..... guess you question whether or not it's sunbrella...

Sharkskin and Sunbrella are different, not sure about the Hydromax as I've never seen it (or maybe I have?)

I have a Sunbrella bimini and it's material feels the same as my new boat cover, much different than the Sharkskin cover on my jon boat. I do question whether or not the cover is HydroMax, either way I'm really happy with the Westland cover I bought.