change from porta pottie to permanant head

muddx2

Recruit
Good afternoon, I want to see what would be the easiest (and best) way to go from a porta pottie system to a pump out system. I have a 1987 Chris Craft Ameorsport 250. I live in Mo and finding a pump out station isn't an issue, but i will be moving to FL in the next few months. From what i've read laws differ of course so I want to make sure I consider those issues too before I decide how to proceed with this project. Any input and suggestions is greatly appriciated. thank you!

emoney

Commander
Re: change from porta pottie to permanant head

Personally, I'd prefer the porti-potty. I've had the "plumbed in" heads and they are a constant source of some pretty yucky maintenance. With it, you MUST have a holding tank because if you get stopped around our shores by the Coast Guard, I understand the fine for not having that in place is rather steep. The only added benefit to a plumbed head is the holding tank is bigger than the porti-potty's, but that's about in, IMHO.

The days of the "pump overboard" have come and gone and I think that was the main draw of installing a perm. head. I know lots of folks that have switched back and got rid of that smelly tank, which frees up more room for storage or other things, and the maint. is practically nill.

muddx2

Recruit

I can defineley understand the maintenance issue, but dumping that porta pottie is pretty awful, which is the reason I'm looking into it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I've had a porta-pottie, and a porta-pottie (MSD) with deck pumpout. I now have a permanent head with holding tank and much prefer that over the other 2. Yes, it does take some regular effort to keep things from getting smelly, but the benefit is there, IMO.

Biggest question is whether you have room for a holding tank, access to the innards of the boat to run plumbing for water intake, pumpout to holding tank, and a tank vent line. Lastly but not leastly, you'll need to install a seacock through the bottom of the hull to bring in raw water for flushing. It'll be a fairly major job to do all that.

My .02

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

JoLin, he could go with a fresh water system and have no need for a thru hill below the water line. My boat has a freshwater feed to the electric head now (although it was a raw water so the seacock is still in place). This of course requires even more under floor room.

Having used both, hands down a pump out head! Pull up to a station, attach a hose and your debris is gone. No rubber gloves, gas masks, and walking that steaming bucket to the dumping zone.

As for maintenance, my last boat, a 1987 needed all new hoses and fittings and sucked. 40'+ of hose, snaked through the boat with no access. It "lasted" 22-23 years though, and the tanks last even longer. If the OP installs a new system, he shouldn't have much maintenance short if winterizing and filters for quite some time.

One thing we did for our head design, was the hose attachments are all from the top. This keeps all the hoses and holes in the tank out of the excrement. Looking down the road, I'm hoping this saves a few years in replacement.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Biggest question is whether you have room for a holding tank, access to the innards of the boat to run plumbing for water intake, pumpout to holding tank, and a tank vent line. Lastly but not leastly, you'll need to install a seacock through the bottom of the hull to bring in raw water for flushing. It'll be a fairly major job to do all that.

My .02

+1 with the addition of a macerator pump with its wiring and plumbing .... we had one on our Excel and it worked well

Jim

muddx2

Recruit

JoLin, he could go with a fresh water system and have no need for a thru hill below the water line. My boat has a freshwater feed to the electric head now (although it was a raw water so the seacock is still in place). This of course requires even more under floor room.

Having used both, hands down a pump out head! Pull up to a station, attach a hose and your debris is gone. No rubber gloves, gas masks, and walking that steaming bucket to the dumping zone.

As for maintenance, my last boat, a 1987 needed all new hoses and fittings and sucked. 40'+ of hose, snaked through the boat with no access. It "lasted" 22-23 years though, and the tanks last even longer. If the OP installs a new system, he shouldn't have much maintenance short if winterizing and filters for quite some time.

One thing we did for our head design, was the hose attachments are all from the top. This keeps all the hoses and holes in the tank out of the excrement. Looking down the road, I'm hoping this saves a few years in replacement.

I think I would want to go with a fresh water flush rather than raw water, and do you have to have a macerator? I think there is a enough room for a holding tank so I don't think that will be a problem, and I think there is adequate access to run the plumbing. So my next question is, is there a 'kit' for a job like this, or will all the necessary parts have to be peiced together?

emoney

Commander

As for the plumbing, you'll need to piece that together as only you will know exactly what you need. The main thing to remember is to put the vent loop in and placement of same above the water line. It's really no different than any plumbing system as "you-know-what" flows downhill. I wouldn't have a holding tank without a macerator pump, for sure. Plenty of "tank kits" so-to-speak, designed to meet specific areas of your boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Exactly, which is why I assumed a raw water flush system. I might be able to squeeze a second fresh water tank into my boat, as you obviously can with your 29'. The OP has a 25' with a narrow beam. Adding the holding tank alone will take a lot of room. If he intends instead to use his existing fresh water tank to do double duty (no pun intended), there's even more work to do to insure that his fresh water supply can't be contaminated by backflow from the toilet.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I think I would want to go with a fresh water flush rather than raw water, and do you have to have a macerator?

No, you don't need a macerator.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

FWIW (and it's not worth much ;) ) I'd skip the fresh water flush and use that space (20 gallon tank) for something else. More drinking water, more fuel, or a bigger waste container. Does it really matter what type of water goes into your toilet? Putting a hole in the hull would be tough (the first cut's always the hardest ;) ), but these folks wouldn't lead you wrong.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I'm unsure on other heads, but my electric one has a macerator built into it. You push the button and it macerates and flushes to the tank. We've done away with any macerate and pump out into the water, and only have a hull side pump out.

You could definitely do a raw water feed, you will just have to drill that hole, bed in a mounting block and install a seacock. Millions of boats have them!

Be sure to see the amount if room you have. Even on my 34'er there was only enough room for a 25 gallon tank. It sounds like a lot, but it fills fast. You may not have room for much more than a 10-15 depending on the bilge space.

Service Call

Recruit

Ive had all of them, a port o potty,raw water flush and fresh water flush. I'd definitely would stay with the fresh water flush. The only thing I miss with the raw water flush is seeing the phosphorous particles at night swirling in the toilet

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boy this is a sh............, nevermind.