The new addition to our boat family

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So we have been having a blast all summer on our little 17ft red barron. But we wanted to get something that we could use this winter for winter crab, the late fall king salmon run, and something that will handle the rougher waters during the winter.

$2600 later, we bought this. She is a 1982 21ft bayliner explorer. brand new chevy 350 inboard, volvo 280 outdrive, 10hp honda 4 stroke kicker, 10hp johnson 2 stroke kicker, 2 electric scotty down riggers, Hard top, little cuddy cabin for sleeping 2 people, fish finder, marine gps, vhf radio, brand new fuel tank.

She is solid as a rock, Not a spec of rot anywhere on the boat. The previous owner had it for 20 years, and took great care of it. always was dry stored.

She however not perfect. there are some minor things to fix, but that can easily be done over the course of the winter.

I will start a restoration thread when i get to fixing those. for now i just wanted to post some pics, so my fellow boat lovers could see the new toy.

IMG_20120927_090852.jpg

IMG_20120927_090907.jpg

IMG_20120927_090925.jpg

IMG_20120927_090943.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
Re: The new addition to our boat family

Congrats on the purchase! Hope y'all have a good time on it.

emoney

Commander

Very nice indeed!!! That should add a bunch of time to the fishing season. Shoot, I'd find me one of those boat heaters and fish that thing all winter. Congrats to you and yours!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you easily got $2600 in stuff regardless of the boat!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you easily got $2600 in stuff regardless of the boat!

haha, yes i know. I felt like it was a pretty good purchase. Just fired up the 2 stroke. fired over on the second pull. now to test out the johnson motor.

And yes, i plan on fishing this all winter. I probably just hang a tarp or something to enclose the back, throw a heater in, and were good to go!

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah i am green with envy congrats ,love the hard top with rocket launchers No doubt you will enjoy every minute you use it

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

congratulations indeed .... nice looking rig, hope it will serve you well .... just curious, what would be the coldest temps in which you would anticipate using your boat

Jim

NYBo

Admiral

Nice score!:cool:

I probably just hang a tarp or something to enclose the back, throw a heater in, and were good to go!
Be very careful. Exhaust may build up in there. Install a carbon monoxide detector.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nice find. Good luck with it!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice score!:cool:

Be very careful. Exhaust may build up in there. Install a carbon monoxide detector.

The new propane heaters have carbon monoxide sensors in them and are supposed to be indoor safe.

But i will be careful with it for sure.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

congratulations indeed .... nice looking rig, hope it will serve you well .... just curious, what would be the coldest temps in which you would anticipate using your boat

Jim

I could see my self out there in the low 30's. We dont get weather below 30 very often here in western washington.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Some Interior shots please!!!! Nice setup and welcome to Iboats! Will be looking forward to your resto thread later on. Good luck crab fishing, indeed very jealous.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

What a beautiful boat! Best of luck with it.

emoney

Commander

HaHa...30....buwahaha...there for a minute, I thought you had mistyped, lol. Then I realized you must be talking in the "foreigner talk" and probably meant celcius. Whew....30 degrees....hahahahahaha. Could you imagine? You did mean celcius, right? I mean, I'm from Florida and it's not nice to tease us guys about things like that.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

HaHa...30....buwahaha...there for a minute, I thought you had mistyped, lol. Then I realized you must be talking in the "foreigner talk" and probably meant celcius. Whew....30 degrees....hahahahahaha. Could you imagine? You did mean celcius, right? I mean, I'm from Florida and it's not nice to tease us guys about things like that.

Nope i meant low 30's Fahrenheit. It gets down into the 30's quite often during the winter. I am used to it. Put on a nice coat, the neoprene waders, throw a heater in the boat, good to go! Crab season this year will probably run all the way through December. Coho salmon season runs till october 31st, then king salmon opens on november 1st and runs till april 1st. so there is pleanty of fishing to be doing out there during the winter.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some Interior shots please!!!! Nice setup and welcome to Iboats! Will be looking forward to your resto thread later on. Good luck crab fishing, indeed very jealous.

I will get some interior pics today. I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning her all up. As far as interior goes, there is not much. The carpet has been ripped out, and the deck has been sprayed with rhino liner. The seats are in nice shape, but the ones that were at the back of the boat are gone. The Vbirth is in great shape. All those cushions are in great condition. The only thing missing out of it is the stove.

Ill post those pictures later on today.

NYBo

Admiral

The new propane heaters have carbon monoxide sensors in them and are supposed to be indoor safe.

But i will be careful with it for sure.
I was actually referring to exhaust from the motor. Google "station wagon effect" to see what I mean.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was actually referring to exhaust from the motor. Google "station wagon effect" to see what I mean.

Good thought. I did not think of this at all. I wonder if it has the same effect just because I will be trolling with the 10 horse kicker. a lot less exhaust fumes from the motor. The only time the v8 will be running is when we are at cruising speed.