No Feedback Telflex Steering?

rothfm

Ensign
What is it exactly? Asking because my New-to-Me boat seems to have it (marked on the wheel housing) and I'm not sure what to expect with it.

If I grab the 1993 Johnson 115 by hand, I cannot get the motor to move. Yet it moves fine/easy by the steering wheel. Disconnecting the steering arm/link, the motor and swivel turn nicely, and the steeringwheel moves the cable in/out nicely also. I have no issues with everything connected up normal-steers great.

Just wondering with this "NO Feedback" setup, does this prevent me from simply grabbing the motor and trying to swivel it, like my other motors with typical teleflex cable??? Is this the purpose of this type of steering?

Thanks

Haffiman

Commander
Re: No Feedback Telflex Steering?

It should prevent the engine (boat) from making an uncontrolled turn if you for some reason let go of the wheel.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Right, because of the torue of the spinning prop the motor wants to turn. You can feel that on the helm. No-feedback keeps that torque off the helm and you can't feel it, nor will it turn if you let go. Don't let go anyway.

emoney

Commander

It's all part of the "gear system design" at the helm. If you removed that part you could see where the two come together. Just helps ease up some of the "steering work" while on the water. I'm not sure if the original thought was that it would track the motor if you took your hands off the wheel, because sadly that doesn't work, but I imagine someone at least thought that in the design stages. When the idea was introduce a couple decades ago, it was some real, "forward thinking". Obviously steering system engineering has mad a ton of progress since then. Still, it's a good, solid steering system that is simple to maintain or replace should the need ever arise.

Just wondering with this "NO Feedback" setup, does this prevent me from simply grabbing the motor and trying to swivel it, like my other motors with typical teleflex cable??? Is this the purpose of this type of steering?

That is EXACTLY what the NFB steering system does, I have the dual cable version on my Checkmate. There's a clutch built into the helm that keeps the engine from turning unless there's driver input on the steering wheel. On a bigger HP engine there can be a significant amount of torque steer at certain speeds (normally speeds below normal cruise), this system keeps you from having to fight that constantly. If you want to turn it'll still take the same amount of muscle to make it happen, but once you've moved the wheel as far as you need to you don't have to keep force on it to hold it in the turn.