to buy or not?

stan crf

Recruit
Looking at buying 1985 grady white sailfish. 4500.00 unit out of water 4years it was winterized. Min electrronics, twin 150 johnsons. Tri axle trailer. Hardtop with full soft enclosure. Unit ran when parked. Will need some tlc. I can do my own work so is it worth 4500.? Any one own one or any insight helpfull thanks.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: to buy or not?

Why has it been out of the water for 4 years... there's a reason for that, and you'll find out what that reason was after you buy it.

... I suspect she takes on water while afloat, you should ask for a test drive... make a day of it if you're serious (you buy the gas).

tpenfield

Staff member

Looking at buying 1985 grady white sailfish. 4500.00 unit out of water 4years it was winterized. Min electrronics, twin 150 johnsons. Tri axle trailer. Hardtop with full soft enclosure. Unit ran when parked. Will need some tlc. I can do my own work so is it worth 4500.? Any one own one or any insight helpfull thanks.

Did you do the NADA or BUCValue thing to see what the boat is worth?

Sailfish in that model year is the "255" (right?)

Like Jig said . . . sea trial . . . and I would say a survey, and you will have a good sense of the boat value and issues.

The trailer, if in good shape is probably worth $4500 . . . .

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

forget NADA. you're considering a 25' quality brand boat, trailer and 2 large OB's for 4500. How's the condition appear?

Could you afford to repower? B/c with motors that old you may have to even if they run OK now. A lot of people would repower a boat like that. All it takes is $$$.

Someone else could advise about starting motors that have sat for 4 years, but if it's OK, bring your own fuel (mixed) and battery. Check compression, LU for excessive water, and if they run. if so you are looking at replacing 2 water pumps and possibly carb jobs x 2.

If it's been stored plug out and you are around salt water I wouldn't worry too much about the hull; look over the transom.

If the motors run; they are worth half of what you are paying. if the hull is OK and interior OK it is worth almost what you are paying. I don't know trailers but if it's in good shape, it's worth a good chunk of what you are paying. But it may be rustedout since a boat that big will be dunked. Is the bottom painted and was it usually kept slipped or on a lift? that would be good news for the trailer.

Understand that you will be putting at least $1000 to get it in the water, probably more even if you do your work so budget for it (starting with 6 tires).

Location? Pictures? This could be a good find; like all opportunities it has risk.

emoney

Commander

Pictures are worth $1000 words. Assuming the boat also have '85 motors? You know what they say about assuming.

I'd want to buy the boat cheaper, just because it's been sitting and you have no idea what you're getting in to. Sitting is the absolute enemy to an outboard motor, and to the boat for what that's worth. However, that boat in good condition, is an awesome boat. I'm sure the hull is still solid, but again I'm left with no choice but to "assume".

If it were in good, running condition, it would be worth a lot more than $4500, at least in these parts, so take that for what it's worth. Sight unseen, considering it's a project, I wouldn't want to invest over $3000 in it as at it's worst.

bayoucat58

Seaman

Be weary until you shaker her down or have a survey. Tho Grady White makes a fine boat i know from personnel experience they never used any type of sealer under the rub wells i have seen several types of boats that year without any soft spots. I can not say all G.W.'s leak but i have seen many of G.W. with rotted floors and transoms. Just last week looked at one i stood on the motor and with very little effort could see the transom flex, looking closer it had attempted to be repaired which off course the seller did not mention. Ask any fiberglass shop and they will most likely confirm the non use of any sealant.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"It was running when I parked it" that's code for It's broke and I didn't fix it.

etracer68

Ensign

A repower may or may not be needed, those motors where good motors, if kept in good running condition. If they sat not running for 4 years, and not put away properly, they could be froze, and or rusted inside. I would check to see if they rotate by hand first, if they do, there are proceedures for fireing them up after sitting so long. A compression check after fire-up is a must, to find out if they are any good. Motors can seem to run fine on muffs, and not so good under load, with bad compression numbers. Also a sea trial if everthing checks out.

stan crf

Recruit

Ok I made 2hr drive to see boat. Trailer custom built tri axle nice cond. Now for boat, out water 10yrs not 4. Neeeds tlc stans for TOTAL LOAD CRAP or TOTAL LOST CAUSE. Ok I'm done venting. Could not run unit but wasable to spin over and gotcomp test done. 103was lowest 108 was highest not bad. However the small soft spot at swimladder was the entire transom. Left side engine was pulled back far enough it craacked fiberglass hull down about four inchesfrom top. The rest of boat seemed ok. Now I'm pretty hndy with stuff, I'm equip mechanic. I was able to get owner down to 3000.00. I realize this a project not to be taken lightly, but is this unit worth the time and effort? Most all cables and hoses will need replaced and all exterio wood work needs redone. The cabin is decent inside. If worth itany info on transom work or links would be helpful. Ill keep u all posted. Thanks.

bayoucat58

Seaman

Honestly if the transom is rotted there will be much more rot in other places. Like i said before beware of G.W. soft spots. To bad you made such a long drive. From what you say i know i would not touch it unless i had a lot of cash to throw in it! May should pass on this one Stan... Good Luck

tpenfield

Staff member

+1 on the money issue. The purchase price is going to merely be a deposit on the overall cost. For similar money, you can probably get something that is in working condition.

The seller may be able to make more money by parting it out. . . Sell the trailer and motors separately, then scrap the boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

pass. whatever caused it to rot that badly IF it was sitting dry, plug out, even for that long is a sign of more issues elsewhere. And now we can question that it was sitting dry.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Now for boat, out water 10yrs not 4. Neeeds tlc stans for TOTAL LOAD CRAP or TOTAL LOST CAUSE. Ok I'm done venting.

I realize this a project not to be taken lightly, but is this unit worth the time and effort?

It seems to me that you answered your own question. I would keep looking......

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

RUN don't walk. It's going to be a complete nightmare. You don't know the half of it yet.

I have a 24' Skipjack I'm getting back into running order after just 2 years out of service and it was started periodically as it was in a marina.

Forget $3000.00....you need to get it for $300.00 for it to be worth it. To be honest, from your description it still might not be worth it.

Figure a good running 1980's era GW that has been cared for, maintained and properly used will cost you somewhere between $10k-$20k. You're going to need at least $2k to fix that transom unless you are quite handy, but even if you do it yourself you'll likely be in $2k when you figure out it's the transom, the stringers and everything else that has to be ripped out.

Then you'll need a new fuel tank. If everything else is rotted, I can guarantee that fuel tank is no bueno. $2k. Engines are questionable at best and I wouldn't even bother using them. Unless you're going to keep this GW in freshwater from now on. There's no way in hell I'm going out in the open water on 30 year old engines that were abandoned for 10 of them. Not without complete rebuild.

I'm just saying you can find a better deal. This boat is a huge risk and there's a few area where I'm 100% certain you will be paying out of your *** to get it fixed.

I will admit...I bought mine without a trailer and that's a huge mistake. I won't ever make that mistake again. It was $4k by the time I bought a trailer, bought all of the hardware to rehab it, replaced bunks, brakes and coupler....

BUT, that doesn't mean you can't find a better starting off point than this boat with a trailer. Just a piece of advice...don't discount the value of the trailer if it's in fantastic shape. They are hard to come by when not under a boat.

bayoucat58

Seaman

pass. whatever caused it to rot that badly IF it was sitting dry, plug out, even for that long is a sign of more issues elsewhere. And now we can question that it was sitting dry.

Like i talked about even before you went and looked at the boat, the reason is "no sealant" (FACT) between the hull and the deck that is the only problem i have with G.Whites. But i feel it is a big problem! I hope you close this thread and move on. This way you will be successful in finding the "right" boat!