Water Wasp Mini Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Scout

Seaman
Re: Water Wasp Mini Boat

Greetings again, I know little to nothing about these Water Wasp, the appeal to me with this boat is its unique design and above all portability, fits right in the back of my truck, no need for a trailer. One thing life has taught me is that if it is easy to do you will do it more often. This boat will be easy to transport, unload, have fun with it on the water and store it away in the garage when done. I'm looking forward to all the possibilities one can put into it. One consideration I have is to run some mid-fifties outboards, 12hp to 15hp in power with electric start, again running all the wires through the hull, there is plenty of room inside the cowling to do this. Given how light this boat is that should be plenty of power. The initial plan is to have a small instrument panel installed below the steering wheel with push button ease, that is, a start and stop button, choke button and nav light switch, along of course with a kill switch. I plan on staying with the cable steering already in place, and will probably install a mid-fities Johnson/Evinrude remote control along side the seat as I am comfortable with this operation. I do however really like your idea of a gas foot pedal.

Bakeys

Seaman

I was thinking four-stroke for ease of maintenance and convenience, but it was pointed out the substantial weight difference between two and four strokes. So at this point, I don't know what to use. I've got an Evinrude Fastwin 18 in the garage that I keep thining about. :DWill have to make sure the life insurance policy is up to date.

I'm definitely intersted in how you're going to set up the controls. The idea of burying everything inside the hull is very appealing. But is it practical? I keep eyeballing the back of the seat and cutting in an access panel there. I think one could almost reach the front end from this opening to make things a little more set-up friendly.

What was the original configuration for the fuel line? Did it literally lay on the hull and run back to the engine? Seems like a dangerous setup, if you ask me. I'd love to run it through the inside of the hull. Same with electrics. And a hot-foot pedal would give instant throttle response in the event that things got hairy. :eek: Left-side hot foot could be connected to cable operated trim-tabs to assist in the purported hard-to-get-on-plane characteristic. :rolleyes: Hmmm... only thing missing woud be the port and starboard gun ports for that true-to-life-James-Bond feel!

Anyone wanna subsidize this little venture in craziness?

Old Scout

Seaman

Hope you locate the missing steering wheel hub cover. I am looking into the possibility of more info on these "Water Wasp" through boating magazines of the period these boats were mgf, which is my understanding 1969-1971. They may have advertised/marketed through this venue. I just purchased one magazine, Motorboating Jan/1970 on e-Bay for a few dollars, I'll let you know if I find anything. If nothing else it will make for interesting reading of boating 42 years ago. Oldscout.

oldjeep

Admiral

Oh the irony!
Scamp D, we must think alike! The first thing I did when I got the WW was look up Savage, MN and email them for any information regarding this brief burst of brilliance :p that originated in their humble community. I received an email from Melissa, their local librarian, yesterday indicating that she could find nothing so far. She was going to continue her search. What a chuckle! When did you contact them Scamp?

Savage is about 15 minutes from my house, and in 69-70 there would have not been a whole lot there. Chances are that they were built in someones barn I'm somewhat amuzed that there is a Savage historical society ;)

Bakeys

Seaman

Good luck with that Old Scout! Savage, MN doesn't even know about them! The Russians probably built them in an effort to pick off adrenaline-junky Americans one by one in bizarrre over-powered-water-wasp accidents!

By the way, I received another reply from the Savage, MN Historian / Librarian. Read on, and please keep me posted.

Dear Christopher Baker,
Thank you for your patience. I am not regularly scheduled at the library so my research on your question took some time. I have not been able to verify any company manufacturing boats in the late 1960’s or early 1970’s and based in Savage, MN. We have had had several MN companies involved in the boating industry and based throughout the state and review of the records available have not yielded any information about a ‘Water Wasp’ boat for those companies.

There are a couple of resources you may want to check for more information:
FiberGlassics is a website that includes a digital library of boating brochures. I was unable to discover the Water Wasp, but you may find information about similar boats or be able to contact them to learn of other forums and resources.
http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Main_Page

Three are three indexes/searches, including boats by state. http://www.fiberglassics.com/fiberg...-disco-fiber/help-id-this-full-size-mini-boat

Minnesota History CenterThey have a collection of boating industry catalogs which includes catalogs from a number of MN companies. A description and e-mail links to their website are below.

BOATING INDUSTRY CATALOGS:
An Inventory of Catalogs at the Minnesota Historical SocietyManuscripts Collection
Collected by Jack Dolan and **** SchroerMinnesota companies represented in the collection are Alumacraft (1985-1996), Crestliner (1956-1979, 1992-1998), Larson (1956-1999), Glastron (1996-2000), Forester (1972-1988), Lund Boat Company (1967-1996), Pipestone Mariner Corporation (1970-1972), Weere’s Industries (ca.1970-1972), Silver Line (1970-1973), and Spartan Trailers (1972-1982).

www.mnhs.org/library/
http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/00683.xml

A librarian there was able to check a listing of the materials and there was no mention of Water Wasp in the general file listings. For additional research into the materials you would need to schedule a visit or hire a researcher to complete a thorough search for you. Information is available at the links above.There are books available about specific MN boat manufacturers. I had the following two titles checked to determine if Water Wasp may be in the table of contents or index, with no success. A history of boat and marine engine manufacturing in Red Wing Minnesota—Harry Munson and Virgil Mischke (Minnesota History Center) A Heritage of leadership : the story of Larson Boats. (Minnesota History Center) The Hennepin County Library-Central has a few books on fiberglass boat restoration, but they are general works that will likely be available at a number of libraries. If specific titles are recommended to you there is a world-wide library catalog to search. It will find libraries in your area that have specific books etc. You can find it at http://www.worldcat.org/

Thank you for sharing the photos.
It is fun to see exactly what I am researching.
Best wishes on your research and restoration.
Melissa S.
Librarian
Scott County Library System

Scamp Deluxe

Cadet

I finally had some spare moments for pictures and further review of my Water Wasp. Here is some additional information I can provide. Someone drilled holes in the rear of mine. I removed the rubber plugs and had a look inside. I tried to capture it with a camera; first photo shows the rear plug. Second photo is through the hole and shows that there is a reinforced area for controls on the right side of the seat. There are also small blocks for the steering pulleys.
The photo of the rear plug also shows the stabilizers which are about 1? inches deep, about 46 inches long, and end about three inches from the back. I have included some photos of the original decals, which shows that this Water Wasp may not have come from Savage. The close up photo shows it as KG RESEARCH & MFG, 410 N CHARLES, ST PAUL, MINN 55109. Tried Google searches but still can’t seem to get anywhere. Using Google Maps on the address, it looks like a residential area, someone might have been manufacturing in the garage. This may call for a trip to the MNHS in St. Paul for business records
So far it seems that there are four of us with an aversion to oddities, Bakeys, Water Wasp, Old Scout and myself. It seems someone out there has to have some detailed information.
With the company name KG RESEARCH & MFG, you know they had to be on the cutting edge in 1970.
Also need to know if Water Wasp has a motor on his and what size and controls does he have?
Bakeys – Thanks for the Library information
Rear plug.JPGControl Reinforcement.JPGOriginal Decal.JPGDecal Close-up.jpg

Waterwasp

Cadet

"The close up photo shows it as KG RESEARCH & MFG, 410 N CHARLES, ST PAUL, MINN 55109."

Scamp Deluxe, I noticed a dot that looks like there might be a missing number in front of the 440 on your decal. I search Google Maps for 2440 Charles St, North Saint Paul, Minn 55109 and found an industrial area.

"Also need to know if Water Wasp has a motor on his and what size and controls does he have?"

I used an old green Johnson 25 ( vintage ~ 1953) with Johnson controls.

Waterwasp in Lakeville, MN

Bakeys

Seaman

Scamp D,
Great info - thanks for that. Certainly adds an interesting tangent to wander down. Tell me though, do you have a data plate on the transom/engine mount? If so, does it say Savage, MN?
Stabilizers ---- what is your HIN number? I'm wondering if for some reason they eliminated the stabs on later models for some reason. Based on the one other HIN I've seen, on a WW which has stabs, I'm suspecting they did away with them on later production models. Maybe the WW was too squirrely with the added control?
Great pics by the way. Thanks for that. Mine has two holes in the back but I haven't shined a light in them yet. Afraid I may find Jimmy Hoffa!:eek:

Bakeys

Seaman

Scamp D -
Check this out.
http://www.kgmfg.com/
We machine parts and sub assemblies for many critical performance products.{Like the Water Wasp! ;)} Whether it is a component for a fighter jet, boat engine, MRI machine, super computer, or defense munitions, K&G delivers precision parts with unmatched quality at a competitive price.

Is it just coincidence that they're in Minnesota?

Founded in 1937! That'd give them plenty of time to design and create these screaming machines of watery death!

I just sent them an email --- will post any results.[/URL]

Bakeys

Seaman

OK, that was a complete bust... :(
Read on:

Mr. Baker,

Thank you for the inquiry but I am sorry to say that K&G Mfg Co. in
Faribault, MN does not have any history of involvement with the "Water
Wasp" product.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Eric P. Gustafson
Chief Operations Officer
K&G Manufacturing Co.

Ph - 507-334-5501
Fax - 507-334-3627

Scamp Deluxe

Cadet

Contacting K&G Mfg was certainly worth a shot. I have no plate on the transom/engine mount, therfore no HIN. Do you think there is a difference in the year the models with and without the hole for the navigation light? I am thinking about borrowing a Pro Scope camera from work, that will allow be to magnify the decal information so that I may get a better read. I’ll post results/picture if it works out. I may also be able to get a better look inside. I wonder if K G Research could have been more of an R&D company that never got into full scale production in a time when there were many manufactures of boats, snowmobiles, etc....., in what could have been good times for start ups?

Bakeys

Seaman

Yeah, I thought we were on to something with K&G. Oh well.

Hole for the navigation light ~ Yours has or doesn't have? Mine has the hole. BUT - there's no accommodation for a battery, wiring, or more importantly, an all-round light, AKA stern-light. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure I'd be out of my comfort zone toolin' around on that thing at night!

Onward, my friend!

Old Scout

Seaman

Greetings, my Water Wasp does have the original bow light, it was a battery type, i.e. flashlight style, will send pics if I can remember where I stored it, (removed it to seperate hull) In regard to a stern light, I don't see any factory set-up for it, hard to believe they would include a factory front bow light but not a stern light, perhaps they included a portable clamp on one . I plan on installing one of these, http://www.amazon.com/Perko-1045P00.../B001445JZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350698219 . Oldscout.

Bakeys

Seaman

NY law says ALL boats over 16' are required to have operable navigation lights and an all around light (stern light is applicable). NY law also states that ALL boats operating at night will have the same lighting. BUT - and here's the kicker - does this vessel qualify as a "boat" or a personal watercraft?
Personal watercraft, as the present terminology states, is a vessel powered by an inboard engine powering a water jet pump and is designed to be operated by a person sitting standing or kneeling on it, rather than, in it. Taking that into consideration, I guess it's not a PWC. Just a small boat under 16', and therefore not required to have any lighting. So, I'm thinking that hole would make a really cool 50-cal gun port.
;)

Old Scout

Seaman

In the state of Illinois it is my understanding that jetskis are not allowed at night, thats why none of them have running lights. I like the before mentioned perko stern light bracket, gives you the option of removing the light pole during the day when not needed, also the light holder bracket is almost flush to the surface and has a waterproof cover. For my own safety I would never go out at night were I have to share the water with other powered watercraft without nav lighting, both at the stern and the bow. A number of years back a friend and I canoeing at dusk, (no nav lights) and were almost run over by a speedboat head on, the boat came so close to hitting us I let out an involuntary scream. Speaking of nav lights I will send pics of the original Water Wasp bow light later today, oldscout.

Old Scout

Seaman

I believe the correct term is not nav lights but running lights. Here are the pics of the Water Wasp bow light.
DSCN5647.jpg

DSCN5648.jpg

DSCN5644.jpg

DSCN5642.jpg

Bakeys

Seaman

Wow! That explains what that bracket is for that just spins round and round on the front of my wasp! Is the bracket spot-welded to the flashlight body, OldScout? I'll have to find something and make it fit.

Waterwasp

Cadet

Are there four WaterWasp owners in this site or have I missed someone?

1. Scamp Deluxe, Yellow over White, Possibly the earliest made (North St Paul), No SN, No light or vent scoop. (with stabilizers on bottom?)

2. Old Scout, Green, SN. W7-0159 (Savage), Light and vent scoop, Stabilizers on bottom.

3. Waterwasp, White, SN. W7-0253 (Savage), Light and vent scoop, Stabilizers on bottom.

4. Bakeys, White over Black, SN. W7-0307 (Savage), Light and vent scoop, No stabilizers on bottom.

I will try to add a picture of mine.

Water Wasp Comp..jpg

Water Wasp 3d.jpg

Bakeys

Seaman

Are there four WaterWasp owners in this site or have I missed someone?

1. Scamp Deluxe, Yellow over White, Possibly the earliest made (North St Paul), No SN, No light or vent scoop. (with stabilizers on bottom?)

2. Old Scout, Green, SN. W7-0159 (Savage), Light and vent scoop, Stabilizers on bottom.

3. Waterwasp, White, SN. W7-253 (Savage), Light and vent scoop, Stabilizers on bottom.

4. Bakeys, White over Black, SN. W7-307 (Savage), Light and vent scoop, No stabilizers on bottom.

I will try to add a picture of mine.

View attachment 172771

View attachment 172772
Pretty sure that covers it, Water Wasp.
Why? Where are we going with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.