The new whale tail?

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about a product called a "Permatrim Foil Stabilizer". Sorta seems like a whale tail, but with a different shape and it I guess it forces water around the prop. Just curious. Thanks.

http://www.permatrims.com/

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: The new whale tail?

Yes those have been around in one form or another for a lot of years and like most things it has a mixed review it helps some and others not so much. The main reason is its can help you plain faster and help with prop blow out.

jestor68

Commander

It's from Australia I believe. That huge one piece design looks like it would place some serious stress on the AV plate.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

really depends on your boat, you could put that on 5 different boats and it would do different things on all of them, some better, some worse.

I run a tail on my boat because it works on my boat with the way I have it set up but like I said, on a different boat it may make things worse, I have run mine for 7-8 years and never had any probelms, haven't snapped the fins off, the pivot is still tight and my transom is still in great shape.

These are old tech though, tabs are the best solution now until something newer comes along but the wings still have thier place.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That looks just like the extended AV plate on some of the Volvo outdrives I've seen. For the price, I can't see buying it. A DoelFin is only $39 and it is known to be a fantastic product.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My buddy has one on his C-dory (and has bennet tabs). Its a beautiful, nicely crafted piece of aluminum, versus a molded nylon like most of them.