The new whale tail?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new whale tail?

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about a product called a "Permatrim Foil Stabilizer". Sorta seems like a whale tail, but with a different shape and it I guess it forces water around the prop. Just curious. Thanks.

http://www.permatrims.com/

Re: The new whale tail?

Yes those have been around in one form or another for a lot of years and like most things it has a mixed review it helps some and others not so much. The main reason is its can help you plain faster and help with prop blow out.
    Bad Dog

If it aint broke your not having enough fun

my 1988 Riviera Cruzer pontoon rebuild
    https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=526820

my pontoon trailer rebuild

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...railer-rebuild

Comment

It's from Australia I believe. That huge one piece design looks like it would place some serious stress on the AV plate.
      Have a nice day!

Comment

really depends on your boat, you could put that on 5 different boats and it would do different things on all of them, some better, some worse.

I run a tail on my boat because it works on my boat with the way I have it set up but like I said, on a different boat it may make things worse, I have run mine for 7-8 years and never had any probelms, haven't snapped the fins off, the pivot is still tight and my transom is still in great shape.

These are old tech though, tabs are the best solution now until something newer comes along but the wings still have thier place.
        GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

That looks just like the extended AV plate on some of the Volvo outdrives I've seen. For the price, I can't see buying it. A DoelFin is only $39 and it is known to be a fantastic product.
          2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
          2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
          2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
          1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
          1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
          1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
          69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

My buddy has one on his C-dory (and has bennet tabs). Its a beautiful, nicely crafted piece of aluminum, versus a molded nylon like most of them.
            Fun boat: 2004 Stingray 190LX, Merc 4.3 Carb, Alpha I, SE Sport 300 Hydrofoil, Hi 5
            Ski boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001, Perfect Pass

Comment

Working...
            X