Thinking about doing something I think is wrong

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Took my boat out this year for the first time in some years. I had a couple of kids these past few years, and they were a little young to be on the big water until now. Well we went out, boat ran great, kids loved it but it was clear that the boat was no longer suited to our needs. So I sold it, and began looking for a replacement. After doing a lot of research and looking at several layouts and designs and sizes I created a profile of what I felt was going to meet our needs now and in the future. I did not outline a specific model. Doing so would limit our potential to get an outcome, which is a boating lifestyle.

Well I found exactly what I wanted or better. The price, size, engines, options, fresh water, and year are spot on with my outline or better. Problem is it is a long distance away. I am hiring a surveyor to look over the boat. Here is the kicker, I believe the deal to be so good that I am thinking about buying it sight unseen. I will take the recommendations of the surveyor and make a decision. I have seen the model (sister ship) and have no concerns about that, but each boat is nothing more than the care it has seen. I am counting on the surveyors expertise.

Is this a mistake?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Thinking about doing something I think is wrong

Yes, it is a mistake. Use the surveyors report to decided if it's worth going to have a close up, personal and on the water experience with it. Once you've done all that, make your decision but not until then. You'll be glad you did.

whynot162

Cadet

I bought a truck this way, and a forum member in the area went and looked it over and helped with the choice.
You could always buy it, with the requirement that it is what was promised when you get there. And only give a small deposit, not the whole amount.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Pointer, I'm East of the Mississippi as well :D

Where is the boat located?

kawakx125

Seaman

gotta be someone on here that would go look at the boat and take tons of pictures for you to actually see it thoroughly. post up the location and i bet someone is close

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Southern Minnesota here - In Wisconsin periodically. Glad to look if the boat is within a reasonable distance.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

your question is impossible to answer, because there is no such thing as "a boat."

there are lots of boats that it only makes sense to buy sight unseen; there are others that are sheer folly. There are lots of boats that it's fine to buy without a sea trial, or inspection, and others it would be crazy.

There are at least a dozen factors that go into the decision. you have given us none of them. None.

You did, however, indicate you have a surveyor. Why would you hire a surveyor if you want strangers from around the globe to second guess his professional opinion? Either use the surveyor and stick with his information, or fire him and get a bunch of uninformed opinions.

UncleWillie

Captain

...You did, however, indicate you have a surveyor. Why would you hire a surveyor if you want strangers from around the globe to second guess his professional opinion? Either use the surveyor and stick with his information, or fire him and get a bunch of uninformed opinions.

A surveyor is just another person with an opinion.
It is just that he claims to know what he is doing and and collects a fee for the service.
Three different surveyors are going to give you three different opinions.

The surveyor may be highly qualified to render an expert opinion or he may not.
You cant tell! You just have to trust him.
It will state in his report that what he is reporting is his best opinion/Appraisal on what he observed.
Most significant will be the statement that he is not liable for anything if it all turns out to be wrong.

The opinion of anyone else maybe just as good, better, or worse. We all have different qualifications and opinions.

Getting a second or third opinion is always a good option.
That way you can form your own opinion.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

A surveyor is just another person with an opinion.
It is just that he claims to know what he is doing and and collects a fee for the service.
Three different surveyors are going to give you three different opinions.

The surveyor may be highly qualified to render an expert opinion or he may not.
You cant tell! You just have to trust him.
It will state in his report that what he is reporting is his best opinion/Appraisal on what he observed.
Most significant will be the statement that he is not liable for anything if it all turns out to be wrong.

The opinion of anyone else maybe just as good, better, or worse. We all have different qualifications and opinions.

Marine Surveyors are licensed and bonded, they won't lie to you, what would be the point, they're going to get caught if they do. You're problably not their last customer so why would they risk getting their bond pulled and then losing their license.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Just like: My doctor says I need surgery. But that's just his opinion. What do you all think?

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Took my boat out this year for the first time in some years. I had a couple of kids these past few years, and they were a little young to be on the big water until now. Well we went out, boat ran great, kids loved it but it was clear that the boat was no longer suited to our needs. So I sold it, and began looking for a replacement. After doing a lot of research and looking at several layouts and designs and sizes I created a profile of what I felt was going to meet our needs now and in the future. I did not outline a specific model. Doing so would limit our potential to get an outcome, which is a boating lifestyle.

Well I found exactly what I wanted or better. The price, size, engines, options, fresh water, and year are spot on with my outline or better. Problem is it is a long distance away. I am hiring a surveyor to look over the boat. Here is the kicker, I believe the deal to be so good that I am thinking about buying it sight unseen. I will take the recommendations of the surveyor and make a decision. I have seen the model (sister ship) and have no concerns about that, but each boat is nothing more than the care it has seen. I am counting on the surveyors expertise.

Is this a mistake?

Maybe not a mistake, certainly a gamble.

What kind of money are we talking. Can you financially afford to eat it and buy another if it doesn't work out?

I don't trust someones opinion just because they have a license to inspect boats. I see it in my business working on homes... a building/ home inspector gives a shining review of a house that has all kinds of issues, or the other way around... makes a bunch of little stuff sound like no one should buy it.

I think i would give more weight to some members opinions here than a random surveyor. Take someone up on the offers to look at it for you.

You might be hesitant to post make and model for fear that someone will buy it out from under you. However doing so will give you folks with lots of info as to problem areas to look at. Nothing beats talking to someone who already owns one.

Good luck!

Go look yourself after the survey results. You probably wont lose it to somebody else this time of year. And if you do you will find another.

That being said i bought mine off ebay because of the garage it was stored in. Never saw a garage that immaculate. Talked to the guy on the phone and mentioned his garage. He replies it's really the hanger for his plane. Landing strip in his backyard. Figured a guy with a plane will be a maintenence freak. Correct.

emoney

Commander

I dunno, I kinda see your side of this thought process. In my opinion, the reason you're hiring a Surveyor in the 1st place is to do the things you can't do. In this instance, that "can't" is mitigated on the fact the boat is too far away. The whole point to having said Surveyor is to be your representative in evaluating this particular boat. Find a Surveyor that provides a pictorial history of the inspection and ask him to include a couple of "away" shots so you can get some better views. Most reputable Surveyors would be more than glad to do this, and even if there's an additional nominal charge, it's worth it.

Then, based on what you see in the pics and the survey done by a professional, there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't buy this boat sight-unseen. As a matter of fact, and I'm assuming a little here, but there's nothing wrong with doing the deal, "Sold, subject to sea trial upon delivery". But just make sure you plan to uphold your end of that arrangement because there's nothing worse that tying a boat up only to get buyer's remorse and start looking for ways to salvage your reputation while back out.

aspeck

Staff member

Hey Pointer, if the boat is everything you say it might be, the surveyor says it is, and the seller says it is, could you put a deposit to hold it, then make the trip at your and the sellers convenience to look at it and if it is right, pull the plug, buy the boat and trailer it home. If not, get your deposit back and consider the trip a vacation of sorts.

emoney

Commander

I would suggest reading (or re-reading) friscoboater's recent experience...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460

I don't know about this particular reference, Maclin. I remember his thread, but I think he didn't ask how the "new deck" was installed, right? If so, that whole "buying situation" would've turned out entirely differently. And, there was obviously no professional Surveyor involved in the up-front process so that's an Apples-to-Oranges comparison.

Maclin

Admiral

Thanks, I re-read the original post and I missed the sentence about hiring the surveyor the first time thru.

And asking about the floor, sellers lie, so not sure how we could trick a seller into taking the truth serum and submitting to the 3rd degree. Heck, maybe the guy that did their flooor lied to them :)

Anyways, with a surveyor involved the real point is trusting the surveyor vs. looking at it in person first.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Problem is it is a long distance away. I am hiring a surveyor to look over the boat. Here is the kicker, I believe the deal to be so good that I am thinking about buying it sight unseen. I will take the recommendations of the surveyor and make a decision. I have seen the model (sister ship) and have no concerns about that, but each boat is nothing more than the care it has seen. I am counting on the surveyors expertise.

Is this a mistake?

given the facts as presented, I wouldn't call it a mistake .... having seen a sister ship and being happy with it, that removes one concern .... having a surveyor who knows his business and who you trust go over the boat removes another .... the comment about having the surveyor take and send pictures with the report seems reasonable and should add another level to your knowledge .... as noted, it makes sense that the best bet is to see it yourself and in addition, having an expert double check behind you .... if that isn't possible, it sounds to me like you are doing the next best thing

Jim

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it were me......If the surveyor gave a thumbs up, I ask for a water test and make the drive. As long as I did not see anything and the water test went ok, I would break out the wallet.

How did you locate the surveyor?

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the way! I love the title to your thread!