siphon out fuel from the tank

adamant

Recruit
i have a 16' boat with a build it fuel tank that is full and 4 years old i would like to remove the fuel but cant get my siphon hose down the fill spout!
any recommendations?

etracer68

Ensign
Re: siphon out fuel from the tank

Remove the fuel pick-up line from the motor, and I have used an eletric pump to pump it out before.

Welcome aboard

Last edited:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

X2 or you can purchase a manual pump from walmart depending on how much you have to pump out. I bought a $30 fuel pump and hooked it up to a spare battery and a couple of hours later had 40 gallons out. If you go with a powered pump take all necessary precautions to remove potential sparks from any fuel/vapors.

UncleWillie

Captain

Why are you removing the fuel?
Just because it is four years old doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

If it is over filled, you could remove the Sender or Vent fitting to get directly into the tank .

Once upon a time, you could go to an auto junkyard and connect a battery to an old junker and it would fire right up - didn't matter how old the fuel was. These days?? No way. That 4 year old fuel is history - I wouldn't want it in my engine either:eek:

Beeched

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took the fuel line loose from the3 connector at the motor. Pumped the bulb a few times and the fuel siphoned right out, remover 18 gallons that way. I had the same problem with a siphon hose too. Fuel line worked great.

Good luck.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

run the fuel line from the tank out the bilge drain hole--then it's lower and will syphon out.

You may have to remove the anti-syphon vlave at the tank if there is one, and sometimes it's hard to keep it flowing through a bulb. You could stick the bulb in the far end of the hose, get it started, then pull it loose.