Considering an end of season deal, advice appreciated!!

whisperstart

Cadet
So I'm looking at this boat that's an end of season deal. It's a 1980's Sea Ray. The person selling it has taken me out on it twice now. First time just for a short period of time, maybe 10 minutes. It took awhile to start it, but he said he hadn't started it in probably 2 weeks. I took a new job and have been pretty busy so it had been almost 2 weeks and he hadn't sold it yet, so I stopped by again today and we took it out again, probably for an hour this time. It started much quicker this time. I posted in the trailering forum a week or so ago because my first concern was if my vehicle could tow it, but I've solved that problem. Anyway, it's a 24 foot cruiser. He got it in 2009, used it that year, he let someone winterize it that claimed they had been winterizing boats for years. Come summer 2010, he put it in the water, and it wasn't doing so great, turned out the block was cracked. So he got a Crate motor from s&j motors out of Washington State (Remanufactured) not rebuilt. Also replaced the outdrive. The warranty just expired on the Motor.

So anyway, he doesn't want to pay to store it again this winter, and is downsizing his toys to clear up some debt, and I think I'm able to get a pretty good deal on it. I'm not a mechanic, and I'm having trouble getting one to come do a "survey" on it. Everyone is so busy since the season is wrapping up. I know it has a new bilge pump, new starter solenoid, and a bunch of other stuff really.

I even found his Facebook page and saw where he posted that he was basically sad to be selling his boat to pay off some debts, and if any of his friends wanted to go out on it before he sold it, now was their chance. This would make me believe that it's fine, that he really is selling it for the reasons he says he is.

So it doesn't seem like there is really anything wrong with it. And before anyone asks, I've been boating for 3 years now. Started on a small beater runabout, thought I would get something bigger and wanted a cruiser, so bought one kind of as an impulse without water testing it, motor locked up about 3 weeks into owning it and it made me so mad I just sold it and took a loss. Then my friend who was going through a divorce didn't have anywhere to keep his boat, so I offered to store it at my place if I could use it, so I've been using his boat this summer, but it's time to get my own again.

I think it's safe to say that if there was anything major wrong with it, it would have died today when we were out on it for over an hour. I can't think of anything someone could jerry-rig to make work long enough to show a boat to a potential buyer, and hope it doesn't fail while taking it for a test ride.

I verified all the receipts for the new motor/outdrive. He paid 5g's for the boat 4 years ago, then had to put 6400 into it to replace motor/outdrive and labor and various other things. So he's in it over 10 grand, is asking 4 grand for it but will take 3500 so he doesn't have to pay the 500 storage fee for the winter.

I'm just skeptical cause it's a boat, and I've been burned before on them. The 2 year old remanufactured motor and outdrive give me a lot more confidence. I'm not rich, but I can afford upkeep and repairs as they come and go, and the gas it will need. I'm just really wanting a cruiser I can depend on and enjoy for the next 2 summers before I think about getting something that was made in the past decade and is not 30 years old.

I would appreciate anyone's advice that's willing to give some!!

whisperstart

Cadet
Re: Considering an end of season deal, advice appreciated!!

And as for my typical boating use, I'm probably like most people, expensive toy to just go sit on it. I like to go out with some friends, anchor and relax, or go beach it at a popular shore hangout. Don't really tube or ski very often, so I won't be putting it through hell.

He's also throwing in a bunch of accessories that all add up. Skis, tube, tons of line, bumpers, 50 foot shore power cable which is probably 150-200 new, a huge tarp to cover it with in the winter that was probably 100 bucks, anchor, etc. Basically everything you need to boat. I just feel like I need to snag it up before someone else does because it's hard for our schedules to line up as well as line up with a surveyor to come check it out for me. Also wanted to stay it pretty much stays bone dry. Checked it out right after a huge rainstorm and there was nothing in the bilge, and the carpet in the cabin was dry everywhere. What exactly is a surveyor going to do???

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Sea Ray has an excellent reputation .... from your comments the engine seems to be mechanically sound but you haven't mentioned the condition of the hull/floor/interior walls .... not having a clue what the book value may be on the boat you are considering, in my mind, a boat is worth what one person is willing to sell it for that another person is willing to pay .... if it was mechanically and structurally sound, $3500 doesn't sound like it would be a bad price but that is something you need to determine for yourself

Jim

whisperstart

Cadet

Sea Ray has an excellent reputation .... from your comments the engine seems to be mechanically sound but you haven't mentioned the condition of the hull/floor/interior walls .... not having a clue what the book value may be on the boat you are considering, in my mind, a boat is worth what one person is willing to sell it for that another person is willing to pay .... if it was mechanically and structurally sound, $3500 doesn't sound like it would be a bad price but that is something you need to determine for yourself

Jim

Hiya Jim. Thanks for the response. The cabin is in immaculate condition. It's definitely dated, as in, it looks kinda how your grandparents house would look based on the color scheme etc, but it's really nice. The deck is more worn, could use a good polishing. Seats function, no bad tears, but definitely could use some elbow grease and a good cleaning. I'm not trying to impress anyone, but if I was, I'd probably have the seats reupholstered. The hull is the only real mystery I guess, being that it's in the water, I can't see underneath or inspect it.

Bondo

Staff member

Hiya Jim. Thanks for the response. The cabin is in immaculate condition. It's definitely dated, as in, it looks kinda how your grandparents house would look based on the color scheme etc, but it's really nice. The deck is more worn, could use a good polishing. Seats function, no bad tears, but definitely could use some elbow grease and a good cleaning. I'm not trying to impress anyone, but if I was, I'd probably have the seats reupholstered. The hull is the only real mystery I guess, being that it's in the water, I can't see underneath or inspect it.

Ayuh,.... It seems yer lookin' at all the Fluff, 'n Not the bones of the boat,...

Being a 1980, I'd guess the transom, 'n stringers are Rotten...

'n,...

What motor, by Whom,..??

What outdrive, by Whom,..??

If it's OMC powered, ya Don't want it...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I agree with Bondo, that boat is a prime candidate for below deck and transom rot... with a huge tub of waterlogged foam puke thrown in ta-boot.

I suggest you do some extensive reading in the restoration forum before considering buying any used fiberglass boat. You'll learn what to look for and how to check for rot, you'll also see what happens when you make the mistake of buying a rotten fiberglass boat and the work it entails to fix it.

We see quite a few folks on this forum that are suckered into buying a rotten fiberglass boat because the top side was all nice and pretty and they never bothered to check the most important stuff.

etracer68

Ensign

I would like to know why you think a remanufactured motor, is differant then a completely rebuilt motor.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

The surveyer would be able to check out the "bones" of the boat as mentioned above. You should have that done to be safe. If you think the engine is worth what you want to pay OK, but I would have the structure checked out by someone that knows what they are looking at.

whisperstart

Cadet

I would like to know why you think a remanufactured motor, is differant then a completely rebuilt motor.

Rebuilt motors only technically have to be repaired to the point of failure (whatever caused it to stop working)

Remanufactured motors parts are machine shopped back to OEM factory requirements and completely gone through. They can't technically call it a brand new engine, but it might as well be.

whisperstart

Cadet

Ayuh,.... It seems yer lookin' at all the Fluff, 'n Not the bones of the boat,...

Being a 1980, I'd guess the transom, 'n stringers are Rotten...

'n,...

What motor, by Whom,..??

What outdrive, by Whom,..??

If it's OMC powered, ya Don't want it...

It's a Chevy 350 with alpha one outdrive. A crate motor from s&j engines out of Washington state.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

You wouldn't think the previous owner would have sunk $6400 into a rotted boat. But, who's to say I guess. At $3500, I would think you could top that just in parts/trailer etc.... What was the cost of the motor/outdrive excluding labor?

whisperstart

Cadet

You wouldn't think the original owner would have sunk $6400 into a rotted boat. But, who's to say I guess. At $3500, I would think you could top that just in parts/trailer etc.... What was the cost of the motor/outdrive excluding labor?

I think the receipt for the motor was 1799 or 1899 and the outdrive I think was around a grand.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

This actually sounds pretty good to me but there are a couple of things I'd consider carefully. After that hour run, did he pull the boat out of the water? How much water drained when he pulled the plug? It ought not be much at all. Also, I'd walk that deck very carefully to check for soft spots. It doesn't matter to me if it's dull looking; it does matter if it's soft.

Pull the dipstick and make sure the oil doesn't look like latte. With a new/crate engine it ought not but I'd feel really stupid if it turned out water was in the oil and I hadn't bothered to look, just in case.

All in all, I think the chances are any warts would have shown up within an hour's worth of testing, so I'm thinking favorably. Then again, I've had my head handed to me on a bad boat deal so caveat emptor!

tpenfield

Staff member

1980 boat . . . it is a crap shoot.

$3500 is small money for a boat. If you are scared of it, then keep looking. The cost of fixing a $3500 boat is far more than $3500.