Winterizing question....

The Show

Cadet
So I had my boat winterized yesterday (I know its early), and i'm not sure if they rand RV antifreeze through the system. Normally when I put it in the garage and lower the outdrive, the leftover antifreeze comes out the bottom. However I didn't see any this time. I called the boat shop and they said they ran antifreeze through it. Should I be concerned?

Re: Winterizing question....

Hi. Ideally they should have drained the block and then, for extra insurance, ran antifreeze through. Ask them if they did that. If you don't trust them then maybe you should try draining it yourself - see if any water comes out.

ziggy

Admiral

Should I be concerned?
depends on if they drained all the water out first. if they did, your good. ya don't even need the anti freeze at that point. on the other hand, if they didn't drain all the water out, and just ran anti freeze through the system, then ya'd need to be concerned.. myself, i just drain all the water out and leave it at that. empty of any fluid.

the key is to have all the water drained out. that's what's most important.. anti freeze is optional...

Bondo

Staff member

So I had my boat winterized yesterday (I know its early), and i'm not sure if they rand RV antifreeze through the system. Normally when I put it in the garage and lower the outdrive, the leftover antifreeze comes out the bottom. However I didn't see any this time. I called the boat shop and they said they ran antifreeze through it. Should I be concerned?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Did anything come out when ya lowered the drive,..??

Water would be Bad,...

Nothin' ain't a Bad thing though...

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think its to early. Its froze a number of times here already.
I don't use antifreeze. Like Bond-o says "air don't freeze".......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Loosen the clamp on the waterpump hose. See if anything drips out. If not, I would ask them hard questions.....