Starcraft Boat

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Starcraft Boat

1st off I'm on your side and think it's a worthwhile project, next I'll go out on a limb and suggest that some of these folks are intimidated by the size and scope of this project.

Again by the second set of pictures you've posted I would say you have a very nice foundation to begin with. Hull looks straight and solid. The finish gelcoat looks to be in very good condition and the whole thing is complete and running.

Next, relate this to a hotrod build. It's not going to happen over night and is going to take a commitment of time and money. I have a brother-in-law that is a member in a Street Rod club in Chicago and have seen 1st hand some of the cars they've done. His last was a frame off 1937 Chevy sedan. It was complete, meaning it was all there, when he bought it. No interior, lots of rust, didn't run. When he was finished with it 2 years later it was beautiful. Even took it to the Chicago Hot Rod Show. I have no idea of how much time and money he had invested but to him it was all worth it. Oh and BTW back then he got me involved and I'd started a 1939 Willys sedan. Sold it before it was complete because I found I couldn't make the commitment to see it through. Married his sister in stead!

Myself, I'd rather grind glass than pound and grind sheet metal!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I sure wouldn't disagree with bondz here ^^^.

However, if you were thinking cheap (I'm guessing you were since you snatched this up for $200) and easy (I'm guessing you were since you mentioned you'd have it wrapped up in a weekend) you'd be way off.

If you are committed to a monster project, have the skilz/tools/space, are ok putting in more money in it than it will be valued at in the end, and a couple years of your life, than you can certainly have something beautiful on the back side.

Cheers!:)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Quick and cheap. I'm sure there are those out there that could and would scarf it together and get it usable. Though I see a different picture. For what was paid for it I see a perfect project base that could turn into a very beautiful thing!

Boat has classic lines and a reasonable size and looks like something that could be a whole lotta fun.

Another example would be this. Way back when I got out of the Air Force I went to work at one of the local marinas. Their specialty was old wood planked boats. At the time there was a 20' Hackercraft runabout that was brought in for restoration, the thing was ugly, lots of rotted planks and the sides had been painted white half way up. Over the winter it was stripped, rot removed and refinished. When it was finished I was truely impressed. Again no idea of what was spent on the restoration but it was one-of-a kind.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Boat has classic lines

I'm going to say this real quiet....

I have to agree. I think that big Starcraft American has really beautiful and classic lines. I'd bet she is awesome on the water too. A boat like that ^^^ could very well sway me to go glass.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm going to say this real quiet....

I have to agree. I think that big Starcraft American has really beautiful and classic lines. I'd bet she is awesome on the water too. A boat like that ^^^ could very well sway me to go glass.

From the looks of your last build I'd say you're already a "closet glasser".:p