Starcraft Boat

scottu01

Recruit
First off let me thank you all for the opportunity to be here. We are very new to boating and I purchased a Starcraft boat for my wife on her birthday. Of course being in building Streetrods and in construction I dont mind a little work. Anyways my question is the boat I bought has a tag on it that reads STRB84641276F7 and we have no idea what year or make it is. Of course we had a flat tire on the trailer bringing it home.Can anybody help me with this? Thank you.

Attachments

• North Union-20120914-00117.jpg
    North Union-20120914-00117.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Starcraft Boat

I would say 1976, dont you have a title for the boat? If not, you may have a large yard planter. I would also check for soft spots in the floors, if there are soft spots it could be water logged. Good luck on your new ventures.

etracer68

Ensign

Im sure if you are into streetrods, you know how important the frame is, on a boat its just as important, only 10 times the work to repair. The boat should have come with some paper work, as in title, without one, depending on your state it may be hard to get one, without one. Do you have any other info on the boat? Condition is eveything on a boat.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

About $3000 worth of material and a year of labor and you'll have a real nice boat.

Since you have registration numbers on the boat it should give the info you need on the registration reciept.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

My google-fu is failing me trying to figure out what model that is; their should be a data plate up near the helm with that information on it. I'm curious to figure out what model that is, don't see too many of those around.

Bondo

Staff member

First off let me thank you all for the opportunity to be here. We are very new to boating and I purchased a Starcraft boat for my wife on her birthday. Of course being in building Streetrods and in construction I dont mind a little work. Anyways my question is the boat I bought has a tag on it that reads STRB84641276F7 and we have no idea what year or make it is. Of course we had a flat tire on the trailer bringing it home.Can anybody help me with this? Thank you.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sweet lookin' hull,...

P l e a s e tell me it ain't powered by OMC,.....

Usually, the last 2 digits are the vintage,... I'd guess it's a '76,... maybe june 7th,..??

scottu01

Recruit

Hello everyone, Well I found out that it is a 1976, built in January, Model has me stumped? It says on the sticker just under the Steering wheel 22 American EX. We started to gut it yesterday. It has a Mercruiser 233 HP engine That runs and the outdrive seems ok too, So Far???. Im in Pa. and boats werent titled in the 70's so all I needed is a bill of sale from the owner and Im good to go, I am having it titled by the Pa. State and Game comm. Im including some pictures too. :) Oh and I paid 200.00 for it so Im thinking that I can't go wrong? The Hull is in great shape the floors are spongy but a few sheets of Marine plywood I will have that fixed in a day or two. My wife does all upholstery for our street rods so she can handel that part. Any and All help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Attachments

• Dunbar-20120916-00119.jpg
    Dunbar-20120916-00119.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Dunbar-20120916-00120.jpg
    Dunbar-20120916-00120.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Dunbar-20120916-00122.jpg
    Dunbar-20120916-00122.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Dunbar-20120916-00125.jpg
    Dunbar-20120916-00125.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Dunbar-20120916-00124.jpg
    Dunbar-20120916-00124.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

For $200 your OK. But, if the floors are spongy you won't have it fixed in a day or 2. Think'n your gonna have an entire gut job there. Sorry,,,,, Your most likely looking at new stringers and transom before you even get the new floor back in. Check out some of the fiberglass boat resto threads on here for an idea of what you got yourself in to.

Bifflefan

Commander

Before you get to crazy disassembling things, take it to your local scrap yard or truck stop and weigh it (boat and trailer). That will give you an idea if and how much water is in the foam.
About your sentence
the floors are spongy but a few sheets of Marine plywood I will have that fixed in a day or two.
All I can say is, "No, you probably wont". Unless you are just planning to lay new wood over the old floor, which is not a good idea.
If you are taking out the old floor then you may as well replace all the foam anyway, just because your there already if nothing else.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, George and biffle have it figured for ya. Deck, stringers, transom, foam. This is not your regular great big fiberglass rebuild either. This being a cabin boat with essentially a small house inside there, you have an ultra, huge, monster, humongo, brutal, job ahead of you. BIG money too.

Sorry man.:(

Here is some good news though....

You can sell the trailer and fittings off the boat for a lot more than what you paid if you scrap this boat.

More good news....

If you decide to rebuild this boat, the guys over on the Restoration and Boat Building Forum can walk you through step by step on how to make it solid and pretty again.

Cheers!:)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Don't let these guys get ya down. Just approach it as a frame off restoration of a hot rod.

Nice looking hull. Couldn't see any major defects in the hull and the gelcoat looks to be in good shape.

Bondo

Staff member

Yup, George and biffle have it figured for ya. Deck, stringers, transom, foam. This is not your regular great big fiberglass rebuild either. This being a cabin boat with essentially a small house inside there, you have an ultra, huge, monster, humongo, brutal, job ahead of you. BIG money too.

Sorry man
.:(

Here is some good news though....

You can sell the trailer and fittings off the boat for a lot more than what you paid if you scrap this boat.

More good news....

If you decide to rebuild this boat, the guys over on the Restoration and Boat Building Forum can walk you through step by step on how to make it solid and pretty again.

Cheers!:)

Ayuh,.... Lot's of Truths in that post,...

Atleast it ain't OMC powered,... the Ford motor is bad enough though...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The above posts are what I was talking about in my first reply to this thread.

If your stringers are rotten there will be nothing to fasten your new decking to.

If your transom is rotten you will take on water the first time you launch and try to use your boat.

If your foam is waterlogged your boat will sink when it takes on water from the rotten transom.

Come on into the restoration forum and have a look around, read some of the fiberglass boat restoration threads and take a look at the "How To" stickies at the top of the page.
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Lots of good folks in there with lots of years of experience working on boats.

scottu01

Recruit

OK? Now Im really confused..lol. When I said that the floor was soggy, Just in one area Over the gas tank. About a 2.5' wide and 3' long. How could the transom be rotten? Its all fiberglass and very sterdy. Unless I dont know what the transom is? The rear of the boat. (right?) I dont see how it could take on water. Help me out here (PLEASE). This forum is awesome. Maybe I will stick to my StreetRods.
If interested take a look at what I do enjoy building, And now Im going to do a Boat.:)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_umbel/sets/72157602305549643/with/1507062088/

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, when your deck is soft it's an indicator of what lies below. Water follows gravity so if your deck is wet the odds of everything under it being wet too is like 1 out of 1. Not good odds.

Bondo

Staff member

OK? Now Im really confused..lol. When I said that the floor was soggy, Just in one area Over the gas tank. About a 2.5' wide and 3' long. How could the transom be rotten? Its all fiberglass and very sterdy. Unless I dont know what the transom is? The rear of the boat. (right?) I dont see how it could take on water. Help me out here (PLEASE). This forum is awesome. Maybe I will stick to my StreetRods.
If interested take a look at what I do enjoy building, And now Im going to do a Boat.:)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_umbel/sets/72157602305549643/with/1507062088/

Ayuh,.... Fiberglass boats are a composite, aka: wood, 'n glass,...

fiberglass boat's reinforcing wood, rots from the bottom, Up...

By the time the deck shows signs of rot, aka; yer soft spot, most everything below is mush, aka; rotten wood...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yup, old fiberglass boats are not solid fiberglass... they're wood wrapped with fiberglass cloth and resin. After a while if the boat isn't kept dry when not in use water will find a way through the fiberglass coating and enter the wood, then the water becomes trapped between the fiberglass and wood and soaks into the wood causing rot. After this happens you're left with a thin coat of fiberglass encasing what used to be wood but is now mush.

This is an example of transom rot:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=578725&highlight=transom+rot

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

scouttu01, Looked at your Flicker work and from what I've seen you shouldn't have any problem doing the required work on this boat. I'd guess you have the skills to do it. Remember it will most likely cost much more than you figured or expected. So proceed slowly, assess what you have, ask questions and read some of the other projects that have been done here. Then decide if it's still something you want to proceed with.

Bifflefan

Commander

scouttu01, Looked at your Flicker work and from what I've seen you shouldn't have any problem doing the required work on this boat. I'd guess you have the skills to do it. Remember it will most likely cost much more than you figured or expected. So proceed slowly, assess what you have, ask questions and read some of the other projects that have been done here. Then decide if it's still something you want to proceed with.

That's the best advise. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^