I think I got the OK for an upgrade this weekend! (21ft bowrider?)

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: I think I got the OK for an upgrade this weekend! (21ft bowrider?)

It sounds like you already have enough bow down going for you.
Do you get the kidney busting slam when hitting chop above 25 mph?
Trim tabs are similar to putting two good sized adults in the bow. Just without the weight.
I will assume you notice the difference in handling by moving passengers from the bow to the stern.

I generally try not to slam into chop above 25mph ;)

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Doing that on minnetonka in my boat would result in a swamped boat. Some days it is hard enough to keep the bow high enough to keep a random wave from coming over the front.

We probably have similar rides/ handling, I have submarined the bow before when going to pick up skiiers... I think anything with more weight will be an improvement for my next purchase. I need to run full trim down and 20ish MPH on a rough weekend day- a few times I've pushed it faster which can knife through the water better- but eventually I'll hit a wave so hard it feels like it is going to come apart and I'll back down again.

UncleWillie

Captain

I generally try not to slam into chop above 25mph ;)

I can totally understand that.:D

The question would be asking if you were running through some rough water above 20mph, does the boat cut the waves throwing water out to the sides or would it painfully smacking the chop causing you to want to slow down?

Without Tabs my speed was limited by how much of a beating I was willing to take.
With the Tabs my speed is considerably faster and limited by how wet I am willing to get.

By picking a compromise speed and I get a faster, Dry, Painless ride. :cool:

oldjeep

Admiral

When I am going with the waves then it'll cut and splash, nice soft ride - headed into them it pounds and if you hit a widely spaced set with the nose down you will not be getting splashed - it is a wave and many gallons of water. Not nearly as bad as open water in my FILs comp ski boat, but you do have to watch it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I got the ok back in February.
Had to sell a boat and motor to cash settle the divorce.
It was final in February, which was my green light to buy.
Bought 4 boats this year. :)

rivermouse

Did he say 23 hours total on a 7 year old boat? I bet it has just 23 hours on it......NOT...Make them prove it...lol

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glastron is going to have the same ride characteristics as your Stingray.

^^^ I would disagree with this ^^^

I have owned a Stingray and currently own a Glastron. Night and day my friend. It's not all about the total weight of the vessel. The Glastron may be a lighter boat than most, but the hull design makes it ride very well. It was 100% improvement over our old stingray and they are about the same sizes. Stingray was 17'-6"... and the Glastron 18'-6". Now, a heavier boat and well designed hull will have even greater improved ride over the Glastron. But the glastron is not going to be the same as your Stingray. So don't count it out. Goodluck!

haulnazz15

Captain

Agree to disagree, then. I have ridden several times in a mid-90's 19ft Stingray and also a 19ft Glastron. Both with 4.3L's V6's. The Stingray weighs a tad less and get's slightly higher top speed, and rides only marginally worse in light chop than the Glastron. Glaston does doesn't use a "deep V" hull, at only 20-degrees, and the stingray uses 19-degree deadrise. They both weigh in around 2500 lbs. From a spec standpoint, they are nearly identical in their ability to handle chop. Either way, I don't consider it enough of a difference to make that choice if the complaint is poor ride in chop. If he were going to a boat with a 22-degree deadrise and another 2-3ft in length, I'd say go for it.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

just a note for the Crownline side, all 19' Crownies since 1992 have come in at a dry weight of 2900 lbs so that should play into the ride a bit more so then any deadrise factors since 18'/19' only have at best an 18 degree deadrise anyway, I think the fact that crownlines have a better ride is more because of their weight.

They are a little pudgy in the mid section....

gtochris

just a note for the Crownline side, all 19' Crownies since 1992 have come in at a dry weight of 2900 lbs so that should play into the ride a bit more so then any deadrise factors since 18'/19' only have at best an 18 degree deadrise anyway, I think the fact that crownlines have a better ride is more because of their weight.

They are a little pudgy in the mid section....

I'd definatly consider a Crownline as mentioned before- your comment about pudgy in the mid section- Along with the Stingray having a narrower beam- maybe even by a foot, having been rafted up with MANY other 19ft bowriders I've noted that the Stingray has a helm much further stern than most every other boat- it makes for a sportier look, very sharp bow point especially with the cabin, but with more weight toward the stern it doesnt help the porposing.

I'll definately be doing some test driving!

gtochris

^^^ I would disagree with this ^^^

I have owned a Stingray and currently own a Glastron. Night and day my friend. It's not all about the total weight of the vessel. The Glastron may be a lighter boat than most, but the hull design makes it ride very well. It was 100% improvement over our old stingray and they are about the same sizes. Stingray was 17'-6"... and the Glastron 18'-6". Now, a heavier boat and well designed hull will have even greater improved ride over the Glastron. But the glastron is not going to be the same as your Stingray. So don't count it out. Goodluck!

I think I would still consider that one since it is so new (07) , freshwater use, sport seats, extended platform, snap in carpet and 85 more HP... Just wasnt thrilled with how narrow it was nor deep. My partner and I have a detailing business after hours where we do cars/ trucks (paid for our 2nd house!) and has been a good income so I'm sure we could bring it back to par.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Crownline Beam's

18' (182)BR 92-94 92"
18' (182)BR 95-00 96"

19' (196)BR 92-94 102"

Oh the hell with it PM me an email and I will send you this spec sheet for 92-07 Crownlines!!

Or you can go here may have to register as a member and get it also

http://crowniehq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9486

gtochris

Even at 96" that is more then my stingray has, I think I'm just barely over 7'.

I noticed a few Caravelle Interceptors, the 232 is rather popular and rather pretty & sharp boat. I know the brand is in limbo but I believe they built quality and have a no wood construction (anyone verify?) Like some of the earlier '00 Crownlines- it's odd that so many have full carpet as I really want a fiberglass floor and snap in carpet but will maybe do the conversion to a paint in floor if necessary.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Even at 96" that is more then my stingray has, I think I'm just barely over 7'.

I noticed a few Caravelle Interceptors, the 232 is rather popular and rather pretty & sharp boat. I know the brand is in limbo but I believe they built quality and have a no wood construction (anyone verify?) Like some of the earlier '00 Crownlines- it's odd that so many have full carpet as I really want a fiberglass floor and snap in carpet but will maybe do the conversion to a paint in floor if necessary.

I like those Interceptors and when I see them for sale they always seem way too cheap to me. Caravelle uses the 'No Wood is Good' tagline in their ads with the picture of a beaver when they advertised. I don't know what year they quit using wood. The full carpet in the Crownlines always had me scratching my head too, like they didn't get the message all the competitors did glass floors with snap out carpet. Like a nice house with 8 foot ceilings.