General Maintenance and other boating questions...

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice
I hope I am in the correct section of the forum.

I just bought an 89 Sea ray Bow Rider 180 135hp and I couldn't be happier. I have here a couple of questions hat I am hoping someone can assist me with.
1. I dinged my prop and was wondering what the avg price was to get it refurbished (stainless). Don't need details.
2. are older boats always supposed to take about 15 to 20 min to start up at the lake and about 45 min at my house with the fake lake? Is Sea foam recommended? I usually use Starting Fluid on the Carbs to help my boat start.
2a. Would a tune up help with getting my boat to start faster. I took it to the lake on Labor day, and 4 days later I was already having trouble starting it.
3. Should I winterize my boat (I live in Los Angeles). Are the steps the same for all bow riders?
4. Does anyone know of any place that would be able to splice rope in Los Angeles (San fernando Valley)? Ive searched youtube and I sucked at it.
5. How do I park up on the dirt (Castaic Lake)? I always see several boats docked on the dirt and picnicking. I hope I explained it okay.
6. The bimini top that I have on my boat covers about 1/3 of the boat (looks like there's a zipper for an attachment as well). Can I get an adapter to get more shade?

Also, I forgot my transom saver so I need a new one. Can someone point me to a good, but inexpensive one? Thanks!

Last edited:

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: General Maintenance and other boating questions...

1. 3 or 4 blade? My prop shop would charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $120
2. No boat should take 20 minutes to start, unless you're shoveling coal into a boiler furnace. Boat should start as easily as your car.
You have something wrong, could be lots of things. Sea Foam is the last thing you should be concerned with, and the ether isn't
doing you any good either
2A. A tune up may be necessary, but you should have someone who knows what they are doing troubleshoot your problems. Could almost anything or a combination of things. Take it to a qualified marine tech.
3. If it never freezes in LA, you don't need to winterize. The specific process varies by what engine and drive you have.
4. I have no idea, I live in MN.
5. Are you referring to beaching your boat? Many ways to do that. One is to get close, cut motor, raise drive, and pull it ashore. Push it
back out to leave. Or slowly motor toward shore, but don't drag your drive on the bottom, don't water starve the drive.
6. You didn't ask a question.

Not sure if transom savers are used with I/O's, but trailer clips can be attached to the rams.
Get your starting problem fixed.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

First of all! Congratulations on your new boat.

My boat is only 5 years newer than yours and also has a carbureted engine. My boat starts immediately. I pump the throttle 2-3 times and it fires right up. I have never needed starting fluid. I don't know why it is taking 15-20 minutes but I would defiantly be looking for a fix. It may be as simple as spark plugs and a tuneup.

I live in Ohio so I don't know about winterization in your part of CA. I would ask a local marine mechanic and some local boat owners what they do.

As far as the process of winterization of bowriders; "Bowrider" refers to the layout of the interior deck. The bow area is open so that passengers can "ride" in the bow area. To determine your winterization process, you need to consider the engine/drive system. Bowriders are available with many systems including; Inboard/outboard, outboard, jetdrive, and inboard.

Since you have a 89 Searay I will assume is is likely a Inboard/outboard(frequently called a sterndrive). Sterndrives are made by two companies Mercruiser and Volvo Penta. I know that newer Searays all have mercruisers, but I'm not sure about the older ones. If you check youtube, there are a number of instructional videos regarding winterization. I have learned a great deal about my boat by viewing free videos.

The docking in the dirt that you are referring to is called "beaching". It is not difficult. I would consider a keelprotector to save your gelcoat.

I hope this info helps. This forum has a ton of info and there are people on here who are far more knowledgeable than I.

Nearly all

tpenfield

Staff member

My answers in red below. congrats on the boat.

1. I dinged my prop and was wondering what the avg price was to get it refurbished (stainless). Don't need details. $180

2. are older boats always supposed to take about 15 to 20 min to start up at the lake and about 45 min at my house with the fake lake? No

Is Sea foam recommended? I don't use it

I usually use Starting Fluid on the Carbs to help my boat start. Not a good idea, get the engine running properly.

2a. Would a tune up help with getting my boat to start faster. I took it to the lake on Labor day, and 4 days later I was already having trouble starting it. Maybe, or perhaps carb cleaning/rebuild

3. Should I winterize my boat (I live in Los Angeles). Are the steps the same for all bow riders? There is no winter in LA. All boats are about the same for the winterization process. your best bet is to drain the block and manifolds

4. Does anyone know of any place that would be able to splice rope in Los Angeles (San fernando Valley)? Ive searched youtube and I sucked at it. No, keep trying it would be better to learn these things yourself.

5. How do I park up on the dirt (Castaic Lake)? I always see several boats docked on the dirt and picnicking. I hope I explained it okay. They have dirt at the lake?

6. The bimini top that I have on my boat covers about 1/3 of the boat (looks like there's a zipper for an attachment as well). I'll post a pic in a bit. Nice.

Bondo

Staff member

6. The bimini top that I have on my boat covers about 1/3 of the boat (looks like there's a zipper for an attachment as well). I'll post a pic in a bit.

Ayuh,.... As noted above, yer motor is in Serious need of a Tune up, 'n full service to get it startin', 'n runnin' Right....

The zipper on yer bimini is to attach the back piece of a mooring cover, not so much a camper canvas...

jtracc

Seaman

Sounds like your carbs could use a cleaning

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Is the choke working on your carb?

Is your starting problem ONLY when engine is cold? If so, then check the choke/carb settings etc. If it's hard to start at all temperatures, then you need a full tune up & carb service:(

QC

Supreme Mariner

I did some looking back at your old posts. It is a 2 Stroke Mercury OB . . . I think you should post your starting problem in the Mercury OB section and get some specific help with that. Need to make sure you understand 2 cycle oil etc. Remember to give as much info about your setup as possible. Year model of the boat does not mean that the motor is the same. Especially with an OB.

The best way to learn how to operate a boat, including beaching, is to watch other boaters in your area. They know what the local waters bring to the equation, even on smaller lakes like Castaic.

If you can start your boat a lot, say you keep it at home, then there is no need to winterize in So Cal at all. Especially with an OB. However, if you plan to stash her away, then you need to look into "Fogging" also in the Mercury section.

Good luck with everything. I think you need to break these discussions down by topic. The beaching thing here. The engine stuff in the Mercury section etc.

NYBo

Admiral

Since you have a 2-stroke outboard, NEVER use regular starting ether! It doesn't contain the oil your motor needs for lubrication.

Are you pushing in the the key when you are starting the motor cold? That's how the choke is engaged, and you need the choke engaged to start the motor properly.

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice

Is your starting problem ONLY when engine is cold? If so, then check the choke/carb settings etc. If it's hard to start at all temperatures, then you need a full tune up & carb service:(
Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it as I am new to boating. It has a choke by the ignition key but I am not sure how to use it. Also, the previous owner told me to pull the throttle out about half an inch whenever i would have trouble starting. I am probably not using the choke correctly though.
I am taking it to get serviced this week ($350) and the mechanic is going to charge me 125 to refurb both of my aluminum props. I thought they were stainless. Are these prices fair? Should I just buy a stainless prop?

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I will post my outboard problem there.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I am taking it to get serviced this week ($350) and the mechanic is going to charge me 125 to refurb both of my aluminum props. I thought they were stainless. Are these prices fair? Should I just buy a stainless prop?

Fair price for the props... I wouldn't change any variables yet, just get the props you have cleaned up. SS props have a potential performance advantage, but they also have a huge drawback. If you hit something with an alum prop, you bent a blade. If you hit something with a SS, your chance of bending the prop shaft is much higher. (FAR more expensive than a new prop!)

Also, as far as starting, the previous owner meant you pull the throttle lever out, and then forward. This engages fast idle, which allows you to run the engine faster without engaging the prop. Again, once that engine is tuned up, and assuming it is in good mechanical condition yet, you shouldn't need to do that.

Speaking of the tuneup.... Your symptoms sound like dirty carbs, but it could also be a tired engine that is low on compression. Its going to exhibit pretty much the same behaviour.