If I get a new boat, what should I do with my new outboard?

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I picked up a new 20hp short shaft for my johnboat this season. It goes really well but it just isn't big enough for me.

My boat only holds 2 people; I want one that fits 6, like a fish-and-ski.

So my question is what do I do with the outboard I just spent $2700 on? Use it as a kicker on the new boat?? Try to sell it?

Maybe just keep both boats . . . I just don't know of I'll use both boats if I pick up a small bowrider that I can launch easily myself.

Let me know of you have any ideas. You guys are usually full of them!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: If I get a new boat, what should I do with my new outboard?

Ship it up here,I'll find a use for it, Lol keep it for awhile,I thought about getting rid of my duck boat but when relatives are around I let them use that for fishing. That way we can still have fun with the bigger one. Once it's gone it's gone!

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ship it up here,I'll find a use for it, Lol keep it for awhile,I thought about getting rid of my duck boat but when relatives are around I let them use that for fishing. That way we can still have fun with the bigger one. Once it's gone it's gone!

That does make a lot of sense. What if I have 8 friends/relatives that want to hang out? I'll be stuck!

if you get the bigger boat you will be posting the same question later about the boat being to big to get in the area's you use to fish and its to much hassle to prep for a quick fishing trip after work. johnboats are great for abuse they can be launched anywhere and dragged up the bank by one person and you normally dont worry about scratches and small dents. if your budget allows keep 2 boats for a while and see how it goes.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

True - the cost of keeping the boat I have is only $12 in personal property tax a year, since I don't need a slip and don't need to pay to store it anywhere in the winter. No sense in getting rid of t prematurely.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a daughter with 4 boys in WV that would love to have a boat like that.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a daughter with 4 boys in WV that would love to have a boat like that.

Heheh, it's a great boat! I get compliments on it all the time when I'm launching it.

I'll hit you up if I sell it (I.e. if I buy another one). If she is near Morgantown I can show her in person, on the water.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

always keep as many boats and motors that are in decent condition as you can.

You are talking about getting a boat to carry a larger crowd around. If you get one that carries 6 (a good size) and then you have a larger crowd, you take both boats. When one is broken down, you have the other. The jon with a 20 is perfect for your children to learn on, or to fish from while others are hanging out on the big one.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed; thanks for the reply.