Electric oil change pumps

zlman1970

Seaman Apprentice
Did a search that returned everything under the sun about oil, pumps, and electrical but not a single thread on what I'm looking for :rolleyes:.

That time of year is approaching and looking to do the year end oil change. What have you found is the best way to do it? Looked at the mechanical hand pumps that attach to the dipstick tube but the electric seem handier, amazon reviews leave a bad taste in the mouth, most seem to be cheap junk.

What have you used and been happy with, if not exactly happy how about not frustrated :D

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Electric oil change pumps

I use a LiquiVac brand vacuum oil extractor. You can see more about it at their site, liquivac dot com. I am sure there are other brands.

If the oil is warm, or just not cold anyway, you pump this thing 50 times or so and walk off, and 10 minutes later all the oil is in the container with no mess and ready to take to a dumping station. I think I paid $40 for it at a farm supply outfit in 2008.

It is very sturdy and seems to me it will last my lifetime anyway.

Attachments

• liquivac larg_project_model.png
    liquivac larg_project_model.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 0

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think that for the amount of times your actually going to use it the mechanical pump style is just fine, if you were changing the oil in yours, your friends, your friends friends boats then go ahead and pay for the super duty one, but face it most of us change the oil once maybe twice a season so why pay the extra money to save you 3 minutes?

Completely agree with warming the motor slightly, makes the oil much easier to pump out.

I change the oil in all of my vehicles, Harley, two diesel trucks two jeep grands a Subaru and my boat(my toys and wife and childrens vehicles) all my oil goes into 5 gallon buckets for recycling and my boat pump (hand pump that screws onto the dipstick)is no different pumps directly into the same 5 gallon bucket(I need two 5 gallon buckets for the Diesels).

i use a air power one at work it expensive for home use but it will suck up any weight of oil hot or cold. its a big world so my thoughts on expensive maybe a lot less than other peoples plus a man can never have to many tools. grainger sells then model we use.

UncleWillie

Captain

Super cheap here!

Remove the Bilge Plug.
Attach 10 ft of 3/8 clear plastic tubing to the dip stick tube and run the other end under the motor and out the back.
Hold the tube up high and suck on it until the oil gets to about two feet from the end.
Drop the end in an oil pail, and leave, or start draining the lower unit lube.
About 40 minutes later all the oil is drained.

I am not being paid by the hour to change the oil and in no hurry.
The lower unit drains even slower, I allow it to drain overnight!

I considered getting a pump but why bother?
Gravity never has to be replaced!

UncleWillie

Captain

Good idea UW.

I also found that a shot of compressed air in the crankcase ventilation hose will start the process or blow out the last few ounces after you loose the siphon action at the end.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I used to remove the oil pan drain plug, let her drain thru the garboard drain fitting in the transom and collect it in a drain pan outside the boat. A couple of shots of Castrol Super Clean, a quick swipe with a brush, a blast with a hose and the bilge is clean as a whistle.

BTW - Always change the oil when it is warm to operating temperature. The dirt is suspended in the oil at that moment. You want the dirt to get drained out with the oil.

kawakx125

Seaman

mine's got a system on it with a hose that goes where the drain plug would be and the end of the hose is capped, just pull the hose through the drain plug fitting and unscrew the plug. when you're done cap it and push the hose through the fitting. mercruiser might sell the kit, i'm not sure, mine came from factory that way

zlman1970

Seaman Apprentice

5502.jpg

Well I picked up the above pump locally, used it this afternoon. Ran the engine up to temp, took about 5 min to suck out all the oil. Worked great!

zlman1970

Seaman Apprentice

How do you know you sucked out all the oil?

I measured the draw tube length against my dipstick and was able to insert it about 3" deeper into the tube. Pulled the drain plug just for giggles and 4 drops came out. I can live with 4 drops of used oil not being extracted.