Fuel Flow Meter

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
the accuracy of the OEM gas gauge in our boat leaves much to be desired .... I'd like to install a fuel flow meter which I can reset to zero when I fill the tank and while we are using the boat know how much gas we have burned .... our pocketbook doesn't allow for a high dollar meter, recommendations (with a link if possible) would be appreciated

Jim

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel Flow Meter

Make your self a tank stick with a wooden dowel rod and a sharpie.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I wish that something like that would work but it would take an interesting stick to run from the gas cap down under the floor and into the built-in tank in our boat ..:)

Jim

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Lowrance LMF-200 with a fuel flow probe.

thank you .... I've been looking at this gauge but can't tell from reading the info given if it can be a stand alone unit or if it must be installed as part of the Lowrance LMF-200 system

Jim

Thalasso

Commander

thank you .... I've been looking at this gauge but can't tell from reading the info given if it can be a stand alone unit or if it must be installed as part of the Lowrance LMF-200 system

Jim

I think you also need a EPR 60 fuel flow sensor.( each tank) The sensor is around $60.00
Do you have a Lowrance head unit? If so, depending on which one and if it is NMEA 2000 compatible all you will need is the flow sensor

Thalasso

Commander

Look into Floscan ( another brand). It might be cheaper and do the same thing.My head unit is Lowrance and all i had to do is buy the EP60R fuel sensor and basically hook it to a NMEA 2000 circut.(It's just what the system is called) nothing special. It's just a matter of connecting wires to make the system to the head unit.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Look into Floscan ( another brand). It might be cheaper and do the same thing.

will do .... thanks for the suggestion .... cheaper is a good thing ..:D

Jim

Brewman61

Ensign

Go out to Faria's website, and you can find the installation instructions for the unit, but yes, it appears that the transducer is included in the purchase price.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I will do just that, may well give them a call next week .... it appears to be in an attractive price range and is small enough to fit into very limited space on the boat's dash .... help/suggestions appreciated

Jim

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Floscan 9000 that came with my boat when I bought it. It is tied to my GPS so it gives me constant fuel burn data AND mpg. The mpg is very useful to make sure I am operating at the most effiecient power settings. I thnk you can buy one for about $500 new and you see them used from time to time on eBay etc.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Go out to Faria's website, and you can find the installation instructions for the unit, but yes, it appears that the transducer is included in the purchase price.

I've pretty well settled on ordering the Faria fuel meter .... tried to call IBoats to make sure it comes with the sending unit but they are closed for the holiday .... will try again tomorrow .... can't get the Faria website http://faria-instruments.com/ to come up .... once again, thanks for the tip

Jim

UncleWillie

Captain

The Sending unit is included.
When ordering, it comes in at least 5 different face plate styles.
Check out the bottom of the Data Sheet.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

The Sending unit is included.

that was confirmed earlier today when I call Iboats' customer service .... I have to compliment the way my info request was handled .... the lady I spoke with didn't have the answer at her disposal, researched it, and called me back all within a few minutes .... yep, I was impressed .... so much so that, even though I did find another internet source where I could have saved a few dollars, when I got home from work today I ordered a Faria fuel meter .... once again, thanks for all of the replies and assistance in this search

Jim

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

3 days following placing an order with iboats for the Faria fuel meter it was delivered to our home .... I consider that to be exceptional service ... as such it was our first order placed with them but I don't think it will be our last

Jim

UncleWillie

Captain

Super!
Be sure to give us a review after you use it a couple of times. :D

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

most certainly will do so

Jim