outboard engine steering problem/ frozen

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi and how are you? i have 95 bayliner boat with a 120 force outboard engine. i bought it two years ago. the day that i bought it the owner told me he has just replaced the steering wheel cable. 8/16/2012 i tried to get my boat ready for the lake, and i noticed that my engine is not moving at all. the steering will hard and i tried to move the engine with my hands and i can't move the engine at all.

what might be going on and what is the fix.

emoney

Commander
Re: outboard engine steering problem/ frozen

I just went through this with same set-up...'95 Trophy, Force 120. In my case I had to change out the tilt tube, so hopefully you'll be a tad luckier, although it wasn't "that" tough to do.

Start by disconnecting your cable on the Port (left side facing from behind) side of the motor at the steering arm. SHould be a threaded nut to remove, then pull up the arm to disconnect and verify the outboard will turn freely without the cable attached.

If it does, then you've got to replace the cable. Report back your findings and we'll go from there. If it doesn't, check your cable by turning the steering wheel while it's disconnected.

emoney

Commander

If the cable works without the motor, then it's an "old grease issue" in your Kingpin (main motor swivel point). SHould be 2 grease fittings, top & bottom. If it's not "too" bad, you can push the old grease out with the new grease via a gun.

If, however the cable still is stuck, then the simplest fix is to lift the motor and push the tilt tube out and apply heat in hopes it frees the cable. Mine is STILL stuck so I had no choice but to cut the cable and replace the tilt tube. Try and find a used one if so, because new they're $200, PLUS the cable ($120ish).

Attach a line to the stern end of the old cable with strong tape and pull it out from the console area. The line is to fish the new back through. It should come out easy if it's been replaced once...*mine hadn't been....ugh.

Feed the new cable from the console back and connect back to the pivot arm and then go boating!

emoney

Commander

Feeding the cable, old or new is a 2 man job (or 1 man and 1 woman in my case). It looks daunting but it's really not. And, I forgot to add above, reattach the motor before you go fishing, btw....lol. Keep grease on the cable at the motor from here on. Obviously the PO did NOT! Simple to do and saves $$ and aggravation.

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=571891&p=3927022#post3927022

If the steering is frozen, disconnect the arm from the ram that passes through the tilt tube. It should be a small nylock nut and bolt on the port side of the engine. Then see if the engine turns. If so, your cable ram is frozen in the tilt tube (most likely). Loosen the large nut on the starboard side of the engine that holds the cable. Spray both ends with PB blaster and then try tapping the exposed ram with a wooden block and hammer - make sure you don't mushroom the end of the ram. You might need to apply some heat - do a search for frozen steering. Good luck!

emoney

Commander

Only loosen the "Chrome nut" on the STB side, too. Those other 2 on each side of the tilt tube (where the cable feeds through at the motor bracket) are holding your motor on.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i will try to do as you say asap. just thought i should post some pics
20120817_162428.jpg

20120817_162402.jpg

20120817_162352.jpg

20120817_162428.jpg

20120817_162445.jpg

engine is right at the middle

emoney

Commander

Clearance like mine which is why I had to pull the motor (if the tilt tube is the problem). I would definitely start looking at ways to pull that motor. BTW, that nut on the left is the one to disconnect the motor from the cable to check where the issue lies. You'll get it.

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not a lot of working room on the port side, disconnect the linkage by removing the bolt. It will then allow you to pivot the motor side to side and give you a little extra room. Work on loosening the dull metal nut on the starboard side at the end of the cable. Once you get both free, spray both areas with PB Blaster. You can try putting a wrench on the flat at the port side of the ram and see if you can twist it to help free it up. If all else fails, I would work on removing the engine so that you have a clear shot at the end of the ram. Place a 2x4 over the ram and give it a good shot with a large hammer.

By the way, you have a 15' cable. The part number ssc13415 is the teleflex part number, the last two numbers being the length.

shaun77

Seaman

I took mine to a shop years ago and had them torch the housing around the kingpin. It loosened up all the old, corroded grease, Pumped in a buuuunch of new grease and problem solved. There are many on here who have done same.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont have a torch but i have a heat gun. i will apply all methods the day i will work on it and i will update ya. thkx

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

In the second picture it shows the connection between the cable and the Link rod. Pull the nut off the link rod and see it the engine will turn. Then turn the steering wheel and see if the cable moves. Should tell where the problem lies.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi? here is what i have found from what ya advised me to do. i removed the bolt/screw/nut that connect the boat to the steering rod and the engine moves left to right and right to left just fine. i tried to turn steering wheel but it doesn't turn.

then i removed the nut on the right of the engine where the steering cable enter the boat and connect to the rod. with that the bolt loose the steering wheel turns right and left. then i screwed back the nut that i remove and the steering stock again. pls take a look at the pics.

what next should i do? i thought about spraying like a grease degreaser inside to unclog the grease

20120819_110222.jpg

20120819_110159.jpg

20120819_110153.jpg

with the detachment of the engine control rod the boat moves
20120819_110141.jpg

with the nut is loose the steering wheel move but when i tight the nut it stop moving

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What will happen if i lose those two black nuts?

NYBo

Admiral

What do you mean, "the boat moves.":confused:

When you are able to get the steering wheel to move, does the cable move inside the tilt tube? I'm guessing not. It seems the cable is frozen in there.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am sorry not the boat but the engine. the silver rod where the engine control is mounted to is not moving at all. steering wheel cable moves in and out of the tilt if the nut is loosen. when the nut is tied it doesn't move. as you can see in one of the pic the steering cable is out and when i turn the wheel the other direction that part that you see out goes back into the tilt.

What do you mean, "the boat moves.":confused:

When you are able to get the steering wheel to move, does the cable move inside the tilt tube? I'm guessing not. It seems the cable is frozen in there.[/Q

UOTE]

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The two black nuts will loosen the tilt tube - don't mess with them. It is pretty clear that the steering cable and ram are frozen in the tilt tube. Spray both ends with PBBlaster and try twisting the flats on the chrome rod with a wrench. Next step is pulling the motor off the transom, getting a clear shot and hitting it with a hammer and a 2x4 placed over the end of the ram. You need some room to swing a hammer and you just don't have it. I've never had to resort to heat.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi? any more ideas to go about fixing my problem. check out the pics and see how you can be of a help. the more idea the better i get in doing this job

NYBo

Admiral

As already stated, the problem is in the tilt tube. Do what Louie suggested for starters.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi? i did whay louie states but when i turn the silver rod the two black nuts moves at the same time. i tried to hit the rod but no movement. i sprayes some liquid wrench wd40 and pb blaster inside. what am i to do now?