Boat pulls to the right

Bob Rakes

Cadet
Hi eveybody, I'm new to the site and also new to boating. I recently purchased a 1988 Bayliner Capri with a 50 hp Force and about the only problem I have is it pulls hard to the right when I let go to the wheel. Is the exhaust tab ajustable to correct the problem? Any advice would be apprieciated. Bob<br /><br />------------------<br />14'Bayliner Capri 50HP Force

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Boat pulls to the right

Adjust the trim tab located just abbove the prop. Th small metal rudder (about 2-1/2" long) is held by one bolt (normally seized up) and you make a slight adjustment and then test the boat. Eventually you will calm the hard right steering however it really never goes away.

Bob Rakes

Cadet

Thanks I'll give that a try, I was able to loosen the bolt and make a very minor adjustment so next I'll try it out and see what happens, Thanks alot, Bob<br /><br />------------------<br />14'Bayliner Capri 50HP Force

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Bob,My 2 cents on the subject is: First,trim up as high as possible without causing the bow to move up and down. Second,purchase a "NFB" (no feed back) steering helm from Teleflex. It's really the only fix at a reasonal price. Good luck...

Bob Rakes

Cadet

Thaks for the informantion. I have already took the boat out and trimmed it up four notches and the boat handle beautifully with no pull what so ever and I gained about 6 mph! Wow what a difference. Thanks to everybody on the site with input, I really appreiciate it. Bob<br /><br />------------------<br />14'Bayliner Capri 50HP Force