Trim Tab Use

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim Tab Use

If you are still installing a trolling motor I assume you've figured out any conflicts between the tabs and that motor? Can you bow-mount an electric?

she already has a bow mounted electric trolling motor .... the decision about adding an outboard trolling motor will be made after we install the trim tabs and test them .... my hope is lowering them all the way down will produce sufficient resistance while trolling using the big motor to slow the boat down sufficiently .... if so, that would be wonderful ... if not, the next step will be to figure out the best way to install an E-TEC 15hp

Jim

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

she already has a bow mounted electric trolling motor .... the decision about adding an outboard trolling motor will be made after we install the trim tabs and test them .... my hope is lowering them all the way down will produce sufficient resistance while trolling using the big motor to slow the boat down sufficiently .... if so, that would be wonderful ... if not, the next step will be to figure out the best way to install an E-TEC 15hp

Jim

If you do mostly open-water trolling, a drift sock could also be an option. A big one would slow you down sufficiently, would store easily onboard, and is relatively inexpensive.

QC

Supreme Mariner

What's your speed with the big motor now? I have HUGE tabs, and they go waaaay down, and they drag me down from about 3 MPH to 2.5. I will verify that this weekend.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

the best I can tell with a boat speedometer that isn't very accurate and not having a GPS to verify the boat's speed, my best guess is a bit over 3 (less than 4) mph .... the Bennett M80 Sport Tabs I will be installing are 8-inch x 10-inch and designed for 17-foot to 20-foot boats ... our boat is a bit over 17' which I hope means they will be large enough to bring the boat's speed down to 1 - 1.5 mph .... that may be little more than wishful thinking, time will tell

Jim

QC

Supreme Mariner

Not gonna happen. Sorry. You won't get that low.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

If you do mostly open-water trolling, a drift sock could also be an option. A big one would slow you down sufficiently, would store easily onboard, and is relatively inexpensive.

have done just that .... we purchased a drift sock and have given it a try several times .... while it does slow the boat down, all too often, it gets in my way while trying to bring in a fish .... one would think they deliberately wind my line around the drift sock rope ..:facepalm:.. really wish one would work and if the trim tabs don't slow the boat sufficiently, I may try it again .... that admiral would be much happier if I don't have to spend several thousand on a trolling motor ..:rolleyes:

Jim

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if you want to get that low, start by having a smaller prop on your motor, or by pulling two drift socks. trim tabs will not slow you down to 1 - 1.5 mph unless you have a strong head wind.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

if you want to get that low, start by having a smaller prop on your motor, or by pulling two drift socks. trim tabs will not slow you down to 1 - 1.5 mph unless you have a strong head wind.

suggestion appreciated and I do fear you are correct about the trim tabs not slowing the boat down sufficiently but I have to give it a try .... for me, two drift socks aren't an attractive option, like I said above, when I've tried using one, they get in my way .... have considered going with a different prop .... in fact, discussed doing so with a local Evinrude dealer a few weeks ago .... if fishing was the only use for the boat, I might just give a new prop a try ..... however, a day at the lake for us usually includes several activities such as cruising, some skiing, along with the fishing .... from what I learned from the dealer, the impact on hole shot, speed, or general performance of the boat would be such that we would not want to change props .... in the end, adding a kicker motor will probably be the best option but with the expense of doing so being so high, we do want to exhaust cheaper alternatives first

Jim

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I used to keep one prop for water sports, and one prop for cruising. would change it at the ramp or dock all the time. only changed it once by standing on the swim platform without getting wet. It could be an option.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I used to keep one prop for water sports, and one prop for cruising. would change it at the ramp or dock all the time. only changed it once by standing on the swim platform without getting wet. It could be an option.

it could be .... I sure wish I had your experience and confidence in taking on a project like that

Jim

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The tabs will slow you a slight bit, but not much. I find the most valuable part of having tabs and running at idle, is it stops the "Deep V wander" almost 100% at slow speed. You having an outboard, there is a device called a " Trol-A-Matic " or "Trolling Plate". Bolts to the cavitation plate of your lower unit and baffles the prop output at idle

http://www.google.com/#q=trolling+p...pw.r_qf.&fp=ab883cf15b672473&biw=1152&bih=663

It's available here at iBoats
http://www.iboats.com/Trol-A-Matic-...oogle+Shopping-_-Trolling Motors-_-T & L-_-NA

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

suggestion appreciated .... I have looked into trolling plates .... last June while in South Dakota I spoke with a half dozen fellows who use them when trolling for walleye .... 3 liked them, 1 said his was OK but he was looking for other options, 2 said they didn't like them at all.... granted I talked with a very small sample but the highly mixed reviews left me looking in another direction .... that isn't to say we won't revisit trolling plates after we find out how the boat performs with the Bennett tabs

Jim

Scott Danforth

Staff member

trolling plates are great if your an aluminum repair welder. most people with the manually latched plates forget they are down, throttle up, and snap off the trolling plate and most of the anti-cav plate. then they take them to the aluminum welder for repair.

the spring loaded ones work ok for a while.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

that is dead on with the negative comments I heard from the folks I talked with in South Dakota .... knowing me, operator error would no doubt happen

Jim