Advise for a New Buyer

jmat1980

Cadet
Hi all...

I recently decided to purchase a boat. My budget is going to be between $10,000-$15,000. Im looking for a bow rider between 18-20 ft. From what Ive read, I think I would rather have an outboard due to ease of maintenance, but I realize that most bow riders are I/O, and im fine with that too. This will be my first boat. Im not in a rush to buy, but I would like to have something ready to go by April 2013. I plan on attending any/all local boat shows between now and then and have already began researching online.

From what I read, the older Bayliners do not have the greatest reputation, but the later models are better. Some of the other models I have been looking at are SeaRay, Glastron, Larson. Given the budget I have, I think I can get a new Bayliner, or one of the other brands used. Ideally I would like new because I know what has been done to it and how it is treated, but im not totally opposed to buying used if it looks to be cared for well. If I go used I would like it to be a 2007 or newer. Ive seen a few good looking boats on Craigslist and boat trader, but im not ready to pull the trigger on anything just yet, im sort of seeing what is out there...

Does anyone have any advise for me? Specifically makes/models/year that I should look at?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Advise for a New Buyer

First welcome to the site, Second take a little time to tell us about you, where you are and what type of boating you are interested in, do you want to stay overnight on your boat and would you like to use it for water sports or just cruising or fishing even? Purchasing your first boat is a tough decision for anyone to make and for us to know what direction to point you towards we need a lot of info about you since there are simply to many different types of boats that are specifically tailored to the specific areas of the world.

Bayliner is a fine boat, nothing wrong with them at all, what you are going to find is that when you are looking at used boats, the care the boat has had over its lifetime is far more important then the make. I love Crownlines, I consider them to be at the top of quality boat manufacturing companies but the reality is that a 10 yr old Bayliner that has been cared for properly is worth ten times what a 5 yr old Crownline is when its been poorly maintained.

Budget, Opinions will vary here, nearly everyone will tell you to get the largest boat you can afford since boats have a way of eating storage space quickly! Also I would tell you (New boater) that typically I suggest you go get a nicely cared for boat in the $6000-$8000 range, not what I would call a diamond in the rough but a well cared for dependable boat that you can ding up along the docks while you learn how to boat, keep it a season or two and learn how to boat, then as you become a seasoned veteran you will be better suited to what you want now that you have a better understanding of what you want in the perfect boat for you.

Good luck in your search, the boating season for the country is quickly coming to a close so now is a great time to jump in, lots of great deals coming your way, but be advised that depending on where you are, if you buy now you will have to stare at your new toy for the off season and that is not exactly fun to most it can challenge your sanity sometimes!!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to Iboats.

There are several threads created here in recent months that may address much of what you are looking for but since you are looking for some advice, I'll offer you some.

First, you're doing the right thing in going to boat shows and getting to know what's being offered and may even find a good deal on a model year 2012 that a dealer wants to get off the lot.

Second, unless you've got a Bayliner dealer that really needs to sell a boat, I remember from this past boat show in L.A. that even the 16 foot bowrider new, boat-show sale price was over $16k. By time you add tax, etc., that'll be well over your budget.

Third, please don't waste individual peoples time that may have a boat listed for sale and be a looky-lu for only your education purposes. Or at least if you call them, tell them up front what your intention is and see if they have the time and willingness to "talk boats" with you. You want to "window shop", find a dealer to go to.

A well cared and maintained boat of any brand in most cases is better than an ignored boat of a brand name.

You did not indicate what your intended purpose is for the boat so it's tougher to tell you an exact size engine to get as a simple day cruiser for 2 people might be fine with a carb 4.3 where a ski/toy boat trying to pull 250 pounds will need more. Lake? Ocean? Both?

I would think if you look at the 18 foot size you should be able to find some available closer to 2010 for less than $15k.

Good luck.

Mark

tpenfield

Staff member

Your best bet would be to buy something in the next few months. If you wait until next spring, it is usually a rat race to buy boats in that size range, so you will be in a competitive market.

Look at as many boats as you possible can and use NADA or BUCvalue as price references ( BUC is better )

As for brands . . . sea ray, regal, Monterey, . Value-wise, used is a better option, and new boats do not always mean reliable, as there can be teething pains with a new boat. Warranty coverage and service can be problematic.

Use the NADAguides site to see other boat brands not mention as yet. The more you know, the better off you will be.

jmat1980

Cadet

Thanks for the tips...

My intended purpose is mainly daily outings. I have 2 young kids, both under 3, so no watersports just yet, mainly just cruising the lake. Any tips for buying a boat over the winter months? I know a 'road' test would prob not be feasible...

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My intended purpose is mainly daily outings. I have 2 young kids, both under 3, so no watersports just yet, mainly just cruising the lake. Any tips for buying a boat over the winter months?

With an outboard you don't have the running the bilge blower/explosion factor so with your family, I'd really recommend an outboard which usually also gives you more room inside the boat.

Not sure where you live but some places boats need to be winterized and if you search this site, you'll find horror stories of people not properly winterizing a boat, someone buying it, then finding a cracked block come spring.

As far as NADA goes, that can be very ballpark and also depends on the market condition where you live. Here in SoCal it's a pretty tough market and many boats of nice quality only sell well below NADA but I've read posts here from other parts of the country where buyers not only pay more than NADA, but also above the seller asking price if supply is low and multiple people are checking out boats at the same time.

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

just to clarify Mark's comment, outboards don't need to be winterized to protect from freezing, so it's one less thing to worry about if you are in a cold weather area.

jmat1980

Cadet

just to clarify Mark's comment, outboards don't need to be winterized to protect from freezing, so it's one less thing to worry about if you are in a cold weather area.

I did not know that outboards don't need to be winterized...off hand, what does winterizing cost? I'm in NJ so I will definitely need to do that. Most if not all of the bow riders I see are I/O does anyone know of a brand that makes an outboard?

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks for the tips...

. Any tips for buying a boat over the winter months? I know a 'road' test would prob not be feasible...

I bought my last boat over the winter . . . went to look at it on a raw December day . . . made and offer, then finalized the price the next day. the sea trial and survey could not be scheduled for a couple of months due to the weather and the marina was booked with boat show activities. But all were in agreement to do things in late February. I had a warm day for the survey and sea trial. Brought the boat home in Mid-March. This purchase was at quite a distance (350 miles away) so it took a bit of planning for the various steps in the process.

So, if you can work a deal where the price is agreed, but the sea trial may not be feasible for a month or so and it is so stated, then at least you lock in the price. If you wait until spring, you may be part of the rat race to get boats.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

anyone know of a brand that makes an outboard?

Off the top of my head, Bayliner, Glastron and Stingray are still make brand new bowriders with outboards; I'm sure there are others.

You might also consider looking at a center console type boat that many might use for fishing but those can have a small cabin with a vberth and potty for the kids but still have some high freeboard so they won't fall over. That type of vessel caters to having outboards and not i/o. Just google around and you'll find them.

Mark

jmat1980

Cadet

Thanks for all the replys...after a few weeks of going crazy looking for something on Craigslist, i've finally settled on a 2007 Larson Senza 186 with a 4.3 MPI 220HP. The boat and engine are in immaculate condition, and there is 3 yrs left on the Mercruiser extended warranty that was purchased by the original owner. On top of that I got all the bumpers, life vests, covers, bimini top and other accessories. The boat has had one owner and was kept on the same freshwater lake since it was purchased new in 08. Now I get to stare at it for the next few months...hopefully I can get one or two days out of it before I take it out of the water...

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on getting your boat.

UncleWillie

Captain

+1 on the Congrats!

It will need to be winterized, you can do it yourself for way less than $100.

And it will need to be covered, Very Well covered.
No rain or snow should be allowd into the boat all winter.
The outside way meant to be wet, the inside needs to be bone dry or the wooden floor and stringers are going to rot.
I don't mean to scare you, then, maybe I should!
It is these very maintenance issues that destroy perfectly good boats!

jmat1980

Cadet

Thanks for the advise...at least this year I'll have it winterized and shrink wrapped by the marina, maybe by the end of next season I can do it myself.