Problem with hour meter on 2006 Four Winns Vista 248

Captain_CGC

Cadet
Hi, I am new to cruisers and currently own a 2006 Four Winns Vista 248. Great boat! I aquired it 3 months ago from a reputable dealer. When I aquired the boat with 176 hours, and last week after a trip with the family I moored it with 198.9 hours on the hour meter. Today (5 days later) I went for a ride and the hour meter was on 299 hours. Nobody used the boat. Has anyone had a similar experience? How do I correct this, the previous owner kept an accurate logbook of the boat and so have I, so the hours a legitimate. I would appreciate any advise you can give me. Thanks is advance.:confused:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Problem with hour meter on 2006 Four Winns Vista 248

An hour meter logs time whenever the ignition is on. Either you left the key in the 'on' position, or an electrical problem is feeding current to the meter when everything else is 'off'

My .02

Captain_CGC

Cadet

Thanks. I am having someone look into the problem. It may well be something as simple as the ignition left on.

rchurch7

Recruit

Thanks. I am having someone look into the problem. It may well be something as simple as the ignition left on.

Did you ever solve your problem. I am having a similar issue with my 2009 Four Winns H220. The hours jumped from about 130 to 656 in less than 3 weeks. That is over 22 days of time so it certainly can't be leaving the ignition on. I only used the boat 5 times and turn of the battery at the end of each day.

agallant80

Commander

I have an hour meter which is they type that if the ignition is on it is counting. I use it to keep track of when to change the oil and what not. Problem is I have left the key on when hooked up to shore power a few times. I noticed it after a few hours but now the meter is off and I don't know by how much. I am going to get an hour meter that connects to one of the spark plug wires so its only counting hours when the motor is running. Now what to do with that 2.5 inch hole in my dash that will not empty because of the hour meter.....

Captain_CGC

Cadet

Did you ever solve your problem. I am having a similar issue with my 2009 Four Winns H220. The hours jumped from about 130 to 656 in less than 3 weeks. That is over 22 days of time so it certainly can't be leaving the ignition on. I only used the boat 5 times and turn of the battery at the end of each day.
Hi
I acquired a new meter with the intent to run it up to the actual hours as recorded by the engine computer. The technician that maintains the boat said he would verify the hours and advise me, he them called to say that the engine computer also stated 300 hours, 100 more than actual. So the engine computer was also energized with the key on. I saw no point in replacing the tacho if the engine hours where higher, that would look suspicious to a prospective buyer. I left it at that. I subsequently sold the boat, told the new owner what happened, advised him to always remove the key.
It's a silly set-up, key on - clock running. On my V288 the respective clocks only run when the engines are running, which makes sense.
It's hard to offer any useful advise, I am sure that by now you already have it sorted out. I also kept a paper logbook of my 248 (and 288) recording date, hours, fuel uplift. This convinced the buyer that I was not trying to mislead him. Logbooks for fuel, oil maintenance are always useful. I have bought and sold many aircraft in my life and found it useful to review the history. I just apply the same process to my boat. Take care.

Thalasso

Commander

Hi
I acquired a new meter with the intent to run it up to the actual hours as recorded by the engine computer. The technician that maintains the boat said he would verify the hours and advise me, he them called to say that the engine computer also stated 300 hours, 100 more than actual. So the engine computer was also energized with the key on. I saw no point in replacing the tacho if the engine hours where higher, that would look suspicious to a prospective buyer. I left it at that. I subsequently sold the boat, told the new owner what happened, advised him to always remove the key.
It's a silly set-up, key on - clock running. On my V288 the respective clocks only run when the engines are running, which makes sense.
It's hard to offer any useful advise, I am sure that by now you already have it sorted out. I also kept a paper logbook of my 248 (and 288) recording date, hours, fuel uplift. This convinced the buyer that I was not trying to mislead him. Logbooks for fuel, oil maintenance are always useful. I have bought and sold many aircraft in my life and found it useful to review the history. I just apply the same process to my boat. Take care.

Captain.

What pool are you in? I am in the Dashields/Montgomery pool

Captain_CGC

Cadet

Hi, I'm not familiar with the different pools. I generally stay within the Pittsburgh area, occasionally I'll go through the Emsworth and Fox Chapel locks to explore. The city is nice and there is lots to do. C

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It obviously escaped your notice that this is an old thread. DO NOT POST HERE, START OUR OWN THREAD.

Captain_CGC

Cadet

What is the statute of limitations on a thread? I have seen complaints about people starting new threads on recurring topics. One of the benefits of a forum is that we share similar experiences and hopefully assist each other in finding solutions.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

What is the statute of limitations on a thread? I have seen complaints about people starting new threads on recurring topics. One of the benefits of a forum is that we share similar experiences and hopefully assist each other in finding solutions.

JB's comments were directed at rchurch7 who opened a thread that was 90 days or more old. The only one that can reopen an archived thread is the OP......