Advice - 2012 Boston Whaler Montauk 210 - long Island Sound fishing and Island Runs

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i currently have a 20 foot stingray bow rider which i love for the smaller New England lakes but it is just not the right type of boat for what i am looking to do with the family. We have taken it out in Long Island Sound and in some of the bays around cape cod and Newport RI but at times it is not a very safe feeling. My wife and kids love boating but my wife has requested we get a bigger more seaworthy boat that she will feel safer on and one that does not constantly bob over other boats wakes and feel like it is about to fall apart..

Usage:
- New England bays, long Island sound and possible runs to Block Island & Martha's vineyard from woods hole- The boat will never go past Martha's Vineyard as i have no interest in being that far out on the ocean
- We rent a house on the cape a few times each summer so Buzzards bay or potentially some ocean side trips could be in the future but not far far off shore.
- Safe fishing in long island sound (with small skids)
- the boat HAS to be able to pull my wife on a ski - She is an avid skier and this is non-negotiable - Straight line pulls are fine but it has to have power to pull her up on one ski.
- I realize the Outrage 200 would be the better boat but I would rarely go more than 10-15 miles offshore

Requirements:
- My wife is tired of being beaten up by the waves and wants to feel safe in the environments i mentioned above in normal conditions - what sort of ride can i expect from the 210 in the aforementioned areas
- 21 foot is about the maximum length I can easily store in my garage.
- The boat HAS to be trailer-able
- Want something to smooth out the bay-side and Long island Sound waves
i understand that weather happens and any boat can feel like a cork in a toilet but i am looking for general input/feedback.

thanks in advance for your replies, i look forward to your valuable input.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Advice - 2012 Boston Whaler Montauk 210 - long Island Sound fishing and Island Ru

that's a great boat for what you want to do. Smart move to lose the sofa boat. But there is a trade-off; the whalers are very seawworthy and can handle anything, but the ride may not be the smoothest. Frankly, no boat is smooth in the chop so why worry.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Advice - 2012 Boston Whaler Montauk 210 - long Island Sound fishing and Island Ru

I boat on Buzzard's Bay and occasionally go through Woods Hole over to 'the Vineyard' . . . We have what are known as "Boston Whaler" days on the bay . . . light off shore breeze, little to no waves. You get a couple of those days a month, maybe.

The rest of the time it starts out as a 2 foot chop and goes 3-4 feet by afternoon, depending on where you are in the bay. Going over to the vineyard is mostly big wakes from 35+ foot cruisers. So, a tri-hull or similar boat is not going to be all that comfortable, even though the Whaler will survive those conditions, the crew will not be forgiving of the experience.

At my harbor, on the more 'normal' to windy days, I frequently see people launching the 18 foot +/- Stingrays, Bayliners and head out. About 20 minutes later you see them coming back with a dazed look on their faces.

Mostly, what you see out in the bay in the afternoons in the 20-30 foot range are Deep-V hulls. So, I would not plunk down Boston Whaler kind of money on a boat that would be good/comfortable for only the best days. You may want to look at some of the Deep-V center consoles or sport boats for a more durable ride. Lots of power, if you are going to pull skiers/wakeboarders, etc.

I just sold my Formula 24 Ft, which has a 24 degree hull, and it handled the waters fairly well, but there were times when we got beat up a bit . . . and wet. So, my advice would be . . . although Boston Whaler is a durable boat, the Montauk would not be a good choice for your intended waters. I would look at something in the 24 foot range . . . maybe the Outrage or an Edge Water, a Grady-White, etc. Deep-V hull 22-24 degree deadrise.

Maybe you can extend the garage a little bit, or if you can store the boat outside . . .

emoney

Commander

I agree with the above to a point: I think a 21-22' deep V will do the trick. It's going to be a little heavier, probably, but you'll be drier and the ride is smoother. Although larger, the Conquest seems to be what you're after.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You are painting yourself into a corner, with the boundary conditions you have chosen. So a 20 footer is too short, a 22 footer is too long. You need to pull a salom skiier. IMO you have already chosen a 21 foot dual console or walk around.... Pick out the one with the most deadrise and pull the trigger. If you wife is a good skier, she will hate the wake of all of those boats. Remember Deeper vee = more wake.

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the comments......

You are painting yourself into a corner, with the boundary conditions you have chosen. So a 20 footer is too short, a 22 footer is too long.

Not sure i understand this comment

If you wife is a good skier, she will hate the wake of all of those boats. Remember Deeper vee = more wake.

Very good point I was not aware of this........

So at the end of the day what is the Montauks intended purpose?????

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks for all the comments......

So at the end of the day what is the Montauks intended purpose?????

Teenagers . . . bombing around the harbor, etc.

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Teenagers . . . bombing around the harbor, etc.

I guess I must be in a different income bracket....... I had a skateboard to bomb around on when i was a teenager.

Seriously? I would not be taking it out on days that are obviously bad...... I realize things change on a dime but I think we as a society tend to buy a Humvee to park on the grass - which is why our economy sucks , but i digress - . if the montauk will suffice 80%+ of the time id like to know.

Seems like deep V's are out as my wife and kids love skiing.

tpenfield

Staff member

I think the Outrage or the the Conquest are better choices for where you want to go. You could still ski behind either . . . better yet, wakeboarding !!! :D A ski purist will always want a flat boat and flat water . . so it is really 2 different boats - skiing versus choppy bay traveling.

The Outrage has a 21 degree hull versus 16 degree for the Montauk. Plus the free board is better on the Outrage and Conquest. You are talking about a small boat, so that trip the the Vineyard is going to be interesting. It is your decision, and your **** that will get smashed if it does not work out.

If you and the family want to feel safer as the conditions get rough, it is not going to be in the Montauk, more likely in something like the Conquest or the Outrage.

If it were just a bunch of guys going fishing, then they would deal with the rougher ride and being closer to the water that you would get with the Montauk.

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the Outrage or the the Conquest are better choices for where you want to go. You could still ski behind either . . . better yet, wakeboarding !!! :D A ski purist will always want a flat boat and flat water . . so it is really 2 different boats - skiing versus choppy bay traveling.

The Outrage has a 21 degree hull versus 16 degree for the Montauk. Plus the free board is better on the Outrage and Conquest. You are talking about a small boat, so that trip the the Vineyard is going to be interesting. It is your decision, and your balls that will get smashed if it does not work out.

If you and the family want to feel safer as the conditions get rough, it is not going to be in the Montauk, more likely in something like the Conquest or the Outrage.

If it were just a bunch of guys going fishing, then they would deal with the rougher ride and being closer to the water that you would get with the Montauk.

would the Montauk be much better than the 2004 Sitngray 190LS?

19 ' Stingray: 19 degree dead-rise and 24" freeboard
21' Montauk: 16 degree dead-rise and 19" freeboard
22' Outrage: 21 degree dead-rise and 26" freeboard

Seems like the stingray is not such a bad option?????? I must admit i like simplicity of the Montauk and it seems much easier to clean after a day on the water and easier to maintain than what i currently have (stingray 190LS).

http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/models04/model_specs.html