Beginning the search for a new Fishing Boat

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
I am just beginning what will probably be a long and drawn out search for a new 20 - 24 foot Center Console. (The wife gave me the go ahead this last weekend!!!)<br />Does anyone have any good/bad recommendations about Boat Brands.<br /><br />It will primarily be used for coastal fishing off of West central Florida but I will take it out to the reefs 30 miles offshore in the gulf of Mexico.<br /><br />I'm starting my research with Angler, Proline and Boston Whaler. Anyone have any pointers as to what to look for?? Any more brands that I should look at?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Nav

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Beginning the search for a new Fishing Boat

Ahoy, Navigator. Angler, Proline, Mako, etc. are all good boats and worth the price, but not in the same class with a Boston Whaler Outrage. There should be some good ones available on both coasts of FL as well as the Gulf coast all the way to Mexico. A pair of 115 EFI 4 strokes (my choice would be Yamaha) would make an Outrage 20 to 24 my salt water dream boat. For what it's worth, I like the mid-eighties 24 a little better than the new ones.<br /><br />Happy shopping.<br />JB
smile.gif

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice

Navigator, Hi,I had a 21' center console with 200 h.p., great fishing boat and very fast but, for running in anything but calm water be prepared to get wet, especially with a little wind. This was a leading brand too. I now have a 22' dual console w/ windshield. The wet suits are now stored in the ****pit as we travel in 2 to 3' seas. Just something for you to think about...Good luck with your final choice.

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice

Navigator, I goofed, I should have read your "profile" before my first response. If your "interest" include "getting soaked in Tampa Bay" then my first response was useless to you...oh well.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Big Rod,<br />"I" like getting soaked in Tampa Bay....now the Misses on the other hand....well, lets just say she prefers to keep the bathing suit dry...hahaha<br /><br />Another question, I would love to go with dual main engines, but right now thats financially out of the question. What would be an appropriate size kicker for a 22 center console? Would a 15 do it or would it need a 25 or so to get a good trolling speed out of it?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Nav

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Navigator,<br /><br />I almost bought a Dusky 10 years ago before buying a 24' Topaz while living in Stuart, FL. I was impressed with the value, they are serious fishing boats, overbuilt but not frilly. The part I like is that they are "factory direct" and they will build the boat custom for you in their factory in Dania, FL. I had a friend who had one and it was a very seaworthy boat. He didn't want a trailer, so he ran it from Dania to VA on her belly, in the Atlantic most of the way. He had the 25'. If you are planning on not getting a trailer, it is a fun ride across the ditch (that is if Lake Okeechobee is not bone dry from the drought)from Stuart to Ft. Myers. It is worth taking a look www.dusky.com. <br /><br />Good luck

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Dusky ? I've seen them and noticed that they're built like bricks! But bricks are good when off shore in the chop. <br />Thanks for the website. I've seen them around alot but I never hear of them at the boat shows. I figured they got swallowed up by some other large manufacturer like a lot of smaller com****** have been.<br /><br />Thanks for all the info. My list is now growing thanks to you guys!!! This is kind of like the "Virtual Boatramp"<br /><br />Nav.

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nav, they used to advertise alot in Florida Sportsman, but since they don't have dealers, you don't see them at the shows. I have spent alot of time offshore in little boats and I am a big fan of well built. I guess that is why JB likes those Whalers so much, they are so seaworthy. But boats are a thing of beauty to me, and I just can't take the lines on a whaler bigger than 14'.(Sorry JB) I feel the same way about the new cats that are getting popular. Safe, stable and ugly!<br /><br />Good luck with everything, you are over the hard part, your wife is on board!
smile.gif

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more thing. Think about it this way, boatbuilding can be like software development, if time to market is a consideration, there can be unseen bugs in the code. Beware of low to mid range production boats.

wesal1

Seaman

I just bought a 21 contender with a 250 yammy. This boat is very costly. The boat I had before this was a 19 CapeHorn with a 150 yammy. I loved this boat the problem is that it is very very wet, but so is the contender. Capehorns are made in milton fl.<br />Bob Fabbaro is one of the owner and he is a very nice person and would be glad to show you around the factory. In my opinion the cape horn is the largest deepest boat for the money also they have a ten year hull warranty. I run my old capehorn wot most of the time in the turrnies the boat can stand alot more than I can. (be sure to get a t-top) ps the new 19's have more gas than the old ones

JB

You are right, Krosemond. I never really though about it before, but in a boat I favor fit, finish and functionality. I think We disagree, however, on the beauty of big Whaler center consoles. We definitely agree on the ugliness of cats, though I must admit that they are very very efficient. When I think beauty in a boat I think of brightwork and polished brass and sailing vessels. I think I inherited that: My Dad's hobbies were building miniature machinery, cabinetry and functional sailboats. Gosh, I miss him.<br /><br />Tight lines and fair weather.<br />JB
smile.gif

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB, I totally agree about what makes a boat pleasing to the eye, fit, form and function. I guess it is all about what you grew up with. I grew up in NC, and what was function, the big bow with flare to knock down those rolling swells in the inlet evolved into what we all see now as beauty. And I totally agree on the brightwork, there is nothing more beautiful than well cared for teak and polished metal works. I just want a bit of that in my weekend boat, so that I can get that spike of excitement as I round the corner and see her sitting there waiting to go. Being a boater requires utilitarian thinking, but the joy comes from the blend of form and function. But the reality is, form won't get you home when the sky gets dark and the wind is blowing the tops off the waves. So isn't it nice that we begin to see beauty at the dock in the things that will serve us well at sea?<br /><br />Ken

JB

Eloquently put, Sir.<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cape Horn, dusky are all the choices you need.

Mattash

Seaman Apprentice

I think it would be worth your time to look at a used Grady White. The 23.2 Gulfstream is an excellent , roomy, wide beam (9,6") vessel that will treat you right in the heavy chop. The fuel capacity,depending on the year, is typ. 110 gallons(plenty of range).<br /><br />Good luck and congats. on convincing the co-captain!

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best boat I've owned was a 73 20' Seacraft. I think that they are one of the best boats made. Better than Proline and certainly better than Angler. I too have seen some very nice Duskys a great rough water boat.