30hp Evinrude starting problem

Donald

Recruit
Last year I bought a boat with a 88 30hp. I have been having starting problems with it. The engine turns over slowly, hesitates on the firing cycle, like the battery might be going. Sometimes the starter solenoid just spins and does not engage with the flywheel. Could that be caused by inadequate power from the battery? I tapped with a light tool and then it engaged. Do I have more than one problem? Low battery and starter on the outs?<br />Any advice would be most appreciated!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 30hp Evinrude starting problem

Howdy, Don. There are a bunch of possibilities. Let's start with the least expensive: Disconnect, clean and reconnect all connections from the battery to the solenoid, solenoid to starter motor and the battery to the block. Looking okay is not good enough. Clean it.<br /><br />Next: lubricate the starter motor shaft so that the "bendix" gear rotates smoothly up to the flywheel and back.<br /><br />Still have the problem? Remove the plugs and try again. If she spins good reinstall the plugs. Get a voltmeter and measure voltage from the starter hot side to ground when engaged. Should read 12.6 volts. If it reads less than 10 volts your starter probably needs overhaul.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 30hp Evinrude starting problem

OOOPS!! First confirm that the battery is fully charged and has six good cells.<br /><br />JB