1992 Bayliner Rendezvous

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng208

Seaman
Just purchased a 1992 Bayliner Rendezvous for the family. This is an old deckboat catamaran. Seems to be in really good shape. Spent 10 years on a lift inside a lake boat house without being used. It has since had the fuel system overhauled and a few other things replaced to get it back to service condition. Interior looks like its 1992 all over again. Has a 175 Mariner on it that starts quickly and runs good. Will be taking it out on maiden voyage on Saturday. Has a nice drive on trailer too.
Anyone familiar with these old designs? It seems to have some good features, self bailing, water on board, separated bilge from storage. Hopefully this will be a good boat for the family to enjoy the lake on.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: 1992 Bayliner Rendezvous

I looked over a 1998 model, and was impressed. I would post more but that 6 year span I am sure makes some things not really comparable. The 1998 was more like, or maybe exactly like, a modified V hull.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Rendezvous is one of my favorite Bayliner boats and they still command a good price in my area if in decent shape. The only negative I will voice is they are not a rough water boat and are best suited for lake use. That 175 should push it well if its in good shape and pulling water toys with the family on board won't be a problem. If the boat doesn't have a house battery (seperate form the starting battery) I would suggest adding one. That boat shines as a party platform and you'll deffiantely be dropping anchor in your favorite cove and need the battery for entertainment.

I should mention one more thing, if (when) you ever get caught in rough water, SLOW DOWN. It is extremely easy to stuff the bow into a wave with that boat. Do that one time with mama on board and she'll hang a for sale sign on it.

24yb8lw.jpg

jestor68

Commander

My '96 Rendezvous model 2359(bought new in '96) has been like old faithful. VP1513649_1_large.jpg

eng208

Seaman

Thanks guys. I studied the Ft Lauderdale incident. Based on what I found, there were many things that went wrong from the boat operator's hands. Apparently, the boat took a wave over the bow, had to, the sides are too tall. This boat has at least 7 scuppers on the deck that should handle normal water that may come over like that. The problem I see is the boat has a starboard side floor compartment under the sundeck cushion. A very large amount of water can flood that compartment and run into the starboard tunnel, leading to the bow dropping. I do not see how so much water flooded the front, other than a series of errors by people on board and the operator. I found where a Rendezvous that was a charter fishing boat went down also off of Fla when a storm blew in. The Captain in that incident did everything right but the boat still filled up with water after a series of large waves swamped it. Be advised though, the boat design (they had multiples) had several thousand hours of fishing with groups on them.
Appreciate the advise and will report back sometime tomorrow after the maiden voyage.
:cool:

eng208

Seaman

Update. Stayed on the lake all day. Boat rides great, drinks a lot of fuel, and floats. We had some pretty rough water for the lake due to the traffic today. Watched a lot of the large V hulls bouncing pretty bad. Our old Rendezvous was riding like the old Cadillac and never pounded on any of the waves. Seems to cruise around 28MPH at 4000RPM. Top speed was right at 40 with 3/4 tank, 5 people, and a good bit of gear on board.
The problems: Well, the only real problem I had with the boat was the idle. It would fire right up with about 1/4 throttle out of gear. As soon as I went to idle to put it in gear, it would die. This went on several times and got to be a little irritating. The idle is at 500RPM and if it was only 100-150 higher, I believe it would be resolved. If it was carbureted, it would be no problem. But, how do you increase the idle on a EFI Mariner?

The biggest issue today was the trailer. Seems the bunks were rotten and we lost one somewhere between unloading the boat and parking the trailer. A friend of mine parked the truck and I didn't notice it was gone until I went to retrieve the truck and trailer to put the boat back on. Had to phone a friend that lives at the lake to make a bunk real quick to get the boat loaded. Guess it's time to do some trailer work.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd love to have a party barge that does 40! Nice boat. Did you figure out how to raise the idle? You should be able to follow the throttle cable back and find a screw that adjusts it.

eng208

Seaman

I'd love to have a party barge that does 40! Nice boat. Did you figure out how to raise the idle? You should be able to follow the throttle cable back and find a screw that adjusts it.

Seafoamed the injectors and put new plugs in. All is well now. Runs great. Thanks

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice

I worked at a detail shop for awhile and had to go pick up that same model of boat and do a complete detail on it then deliver it again. They clean up nice and are one beast of a boat. They make nice party barges

eng208

Seaman

Any Advise? I just bought identical boat.

Hey Captain. Just noticed where you posted. We have had the boat almost a year now. In that year, I rebuilt the bunks, trailer lights, and replaced the tires. I still need to do the brakes but I don't have any trouble with stopping with my 3/4 ton Dodge CTD. It is a heavy boat however, and your results may vary. I need a new brake overhaul that will cost in the neighborhood of 500 bucks, so I am holding off a while. On the boat, I rebuilt the transom due to it being rotten, (suspected this when I bought it) replaced the ignition modules due to one cylinder not firing, (the cause of my idle, shut down in gear issues), lubed all control cables, replaced the radio for something a little more modern (the original was a manual AM/FM/Cassette LOL), replaced a couple of small latches, built new head lid and bow storage/cooler lid out of fiberglass, and put fuel in it. To say we have enjoyed it would be a HUGE understatement. I have ridden in a lot of v hull boats over the years, and owned a few. NOTHING has ever ridden as smooth as this boat. I will admit, it takes a good bit to turn it, as it stays flat in a turn and will likely get a little weird if pushed too tightly when coming about, but I love this boat and plan to keep it for LONG time. I just need to get a Bimini to fit it and it will be great.

I had been looking at repowering just due to the age of the Mariner on the back. But based on what I know now, this engine is the same as the 175 BLACKMAX Mercury EFI, which is a highly desireable engine. If need be, I will replace the powerhead/topend and all parts needed with a 200 and keep running it. The biggest problem I see is eventually having to replace the cowl and the MARINER cowl is very hard to acquire.

captain lamont

Recruit

Thanks for the thread. Your info will be helpful. I will check on the things you had to work on. Mine is possibly in need of similar attention. Except for the transom! God forbid! Ive done that myself once before and that was enough. I will post pics of the boats progress in bringing it back to its original glory. I received a garmin 441s in the deal. But without the transducer. west marine online has one that is depth/speed/temp for 125.00. It mounts on transom. I know very little in this area but am learning. cl

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Check with THE GPS STORE -- that transducer may be found at a better price. Bought one there for my Lowrance at $64.
Thanks for the thread. Your info will be helpful. I will check on the things you had to work on. Mine is possibly in need of similar attention. Except for the transom! God forbid! Ive done that myself once before and that was enough. I will post pics of the boats progress in bringing it back to its original glory. I received a garmin 441s in the deal. But without the transducer. west marine online has one that is depth/speed/temp for 125.00. It mounts on transom. I know very little in this area but am learning. cl

captain lamont

Recruit

Thanks ccj I called garmin and they were a wealth of info on the 441s. They got me exactly what I needed. Paid 71.00. A little over 64.00 but I figured it was worth the info. I tried west marine and got routed to a heavy accent half way around the world who did not know about transducers but could give me a number or web site that would possibly help me. I thanked him and hung up. Called garmin and glad I did. Strange I thought it would have been the other way around?!

robsalik24

Cadet
Was wondering if you're still on here Aunt the post a photo of your tanzim with the motor mount. trying to figure out how deep my motor should be set for this particular boat since I just pick one up myself. Yours has the original force motor mine has an upgraded Mercury xr6. And I don't believe it was set properly when it was put on.

mr 88

Commander
Was wondering if you're still on here Aunt the post a photo of your tanzim with the motor mount. trying to figure out how deep my motor should be set for this particular boat since I just pick one up myself. Yours has the original force motor mine has an upgraded Mercury xr6. And I don't believe it was set properly when it was put on.

Send him a PM , this is a 5+ year old post. Or better yet start a new topic with your info and questions along with proof reading what you wrote.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Leave his auntie out of it! LOL

Yes, start a new thread. I can't exactly figure out what your issue is.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.