Opinions/thoughts on Nylon cleat?

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone, yet another simple/stupid question.. After putting a nice 'gash' on the rub-rail of my tri-hull while tied off to a dock last week, my original thoughts of needing cleats mid-hull were definately confirmed... So my question is, what are some opinions/thoughts on the nylon cleats? These would be primarily used for tying bumpers too while docked, but just never know when a situation may arise where they may be put under some force/stress (i.e. tie off to another boat, dock etc.) From what I've read, I think the biggest concern when installing cleats, will not be an issue with these as I have full access to the under-side to put through-bolts in with a backing plate.

These are the cleats I'm considering, and I'll be 100% honest that the price is the main reason I'm considering these vs. stainless..

http://www.iboats.com/Attwood-Nylon-Cleat/dm/*******.996613497--session_id.175054621--view_id.48316

And the attached photo is where I plan on mounting the cleats, on both sides, in the area of the base of the windshield.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0222.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0222.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Opinions/thoughts on Nylon cleat?

I like the nylon cleats because they don't hurt as much when you kick them. Seriously, some of the SS cleats have really sharp points. I have, however, occasionally broken nylon cleats and especially chocks if I step on them in sub-freezing weather, but they are cheap enough it's not a big deal.

They are strong enough; that is a function of size, not material. A properly tied line on a cleat puts virtually no strain on the ends of the cleat; it's all in the center or against the screws. We have large ones on a work boat we use for mooring in storms, towing, etc. Just rig them so the force from the line is on the same plane as the sides of the cleat, rather than pulling straight against the screws.

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool, thanks for the quick reply.. planning on taking the boat out shortly, which it will end up tied off to my brothers dock for a couple hours so I want to go get these cleats and get em put on before.

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, I don't disagree that it will work, but I like the look of the SS hardware if it's already what's on your boat. I also like the retractable cleats as well as they eliminate the painful reminder of SS hardware.

robert graham

Admiral

I have 6 black nylon cleats on my boat and I like them because they have some flexibility and "give" to them, like if you run into or under a dock, they don't break off...sorta have some bounce to them. Lots cheaper than aluminum or stainless, but not near as pretty, but of course on my big ugly OD green jon boat, looks ain't that important!;)

bekosh

Lieutenant

I like them. Those are the same ones that I used on the old SeaStar that I restored years ago. I had actually broken a couple of the old cast cleats that came from the factory so I replaced the 4 stock cleats and added one to the bow next to the nav light.

Done7.jpg

Done6.jpg

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like them. Those are the same ones that I used on the old SeaStar that I restored years ago. I had actually broken a couple of the old cast cleats that came from the factory so I replaced the 4 stock cleats and added one to the bow next to the nav light.

Done7.jpg

Done6.jpg

Wow man, thats a good lookin star!! Wanna come redo mine?!? Lol

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I decided I'm gonna go ahead and grab two to make sure i like them.. if so im gonna buy 4 more to replace the factory Cleats.... Why they would use 4" is beyond me....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've had OLD nylon cleats that were fine and not brittle from UV. i'm sure there probably are some that have had issues with that though, so something to watch out for.

As far as strength, I'd much rather have a cleat break than rip out a SS steel cleat from the fiberglass...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Not a huge fan of them. Nylon breaks down with long term UV exposure.

I guess the ones on my 1996 boat, that has never been covered, or the cleats on my 1988 boat, seldom covered, have UV damage? i guess I can afford to replace them every 25 years...

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had OLD nylon cleats that were fine and not brittle from UV. i'm sure there probably are some that have had issues with that though, so something to watch out for.

As far as strength, I'd much rather have a cleat break than rip out a SS steel cleat from the fiberglass...

Ya know somethin, that was my exact words I said to my wife when I made the decision to buy a couple to try...

I just got done making the backing plates, and drilling the holes in the glass.. came in for a break but with any luck I'll have them completely mounted within the hour. Once I see how they turn out will be my deciding factor on whether to get 4 more to replace the factory SS 4" cleats, or buy 6" SS to replace them. From handling them during this install, so far they seem to be pretty darn stout cleats. As for the UV damage, mine will see less than most since my boat is kept in a garage when not in use, and as others have stated, for the price, even if I get 5-10yrs outta them it's well worth it...especially considering I probably won't have this boat for more than 3-5yrs if my plans work out to get a cuddy.

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got both mid-hull cleats mounted last night.. I tried to take some pics but since they are by the black rail of the windshield, I couldn't get any decent pics of the cleats.... I gotta say, after doing some "strength testing" last night but putting a bowline on them and doing some tugging/pulling side-to-side and up, these things seem to be pretty stout. I'm HOPEFULLY going to be out on the water today, but the only use they'll see today will be, at most, tying off my fenders when I pull up to my brothers dock. I plan on seeing how these things work out for the rest of this season (only about 2 months left of the real boating season around here) and if I'm still pleased with them, gonna buy 6 more, replace the 4 factory ones as I said earlier, and add two more to the sides, about a foot forward from the factory located cleats... the current placement of the rear cleats almost makes the rear fenders useless as they are right against the corner of the transom.